Page 71 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 1212

Thread: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

  1. #701
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Regular businesses are regulated by the States and Cities as to whom they can refuse. They are called Public Accommodation laws. The same laws the Muslim Cab drivers ran afoul of.



    The company in reference was a private company and not part of any government public transportation system.



    Yes of course they are a special case.


    Muslim religious freedom = bad.

    Christian religious freedom = good.



    >>>>
    Once again you're missing the fact that cabs are considered a part of the public transportation system. Yes, they are chartered by the city to be so. They are a golem of public/private business. A special case and that's why your analogy fails in this instance. The name of the religion has nothing to do with it.

  2. #702
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Once again you're missing the fact that cabs are considered a part of the public transportation system. Yes, they are chartered by the city to be so. They are a golem of public/private business. A special case and that's why your analogy fails in this instance. The name of the religion has nothing to do with it.
    Under this law, it doesn't matter if it's public or private. It applies equally to government and non-government entities. This law also usurps any local laws also. Even if a city has a local Public Accommodation law, this bill overrides it.

    I get it.

    Muslim = special case

    Christian = religious freedom


    ***********************************

    From the bill SB1062 (Capitalization in the original):

    5. "Person" includes ANY INDIVIDUAL, ASSOCIATION, PARTNERSHIP, CORPORATION,
    CHURCH, RELIGIOUS ASSEMBLY OR INSTITUTION, ESTATE, TRUST, FOUNDATION OR
    OTHER LEGAL ENTITY.

    <<SNIP>>

    F. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "STATE ACTION" MEANS ANY ACTION
    BY THE GOVERNMENT OR THE IMPLEMENTATION OR APPLICATION OF ANY LAW, INCLUDING
    STATE AND LOCAL LAWS, ORDINANCES, RULES, REGULATIONS AND POLICIES, WHETHER
    STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER THE IMPLEMENTATION OR APPLICATION IS MADE
    OR ATTEMPTED TO BE MADE BY THE GOVERNMENT OR NONGOVERNMENTAL PERSONS



    >>>>

  3. #703
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,238

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Yeah it is beautiful this time of year. But these hicks are ****ing your state up.

    Tea party rabble....everyone has them...
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  4. #704
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Southwest AZ
    Last Seen
    08-12-17 @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,285

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    It was an honest mistake. In searching for what I had read and to what I was referring I confused a couple of articles. There are tech groups looking at the Phoenix area for expansion. Google is not one of them. Google Fiber is considering Arizona (one of fifteen) states for ultra high speed internet.

    There's your crock of BS.
    All is well. But the link you provided, did not work for me.

  5. #705
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman909 View Post
    All is well. But the link you provided, did not work for me.
    Try this: Google Fiber a possibility for Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe - Phoenix Business Journal










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  6. #706
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Under this law, it doesn't matter if it's public or private. It applies equally to government and non-government entities. This law also usurps any local laws also. Even if a city has a local Public Accommodation law, this bill overrides it.

    I get it.

    Muslim = special case

    Christian = religious freedom


    ***********************************

    From the bill SB1062 (Capitalization in the original):

    5. "Person" includes ANY INDIVIDUAL, ASSOCIATION, PARTNERSHIP, CORPORATION,
    CHURCH, RELIGIOUS ASSEMBLY OR INSTITUTION, ESTATE, TRUST, FOUNDATION OR
    OTHER LEGAL ENTITY.

    <<SNIP>>

    F. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "STATE ACTION" MEANS ANY ACTION
    BY THE GOVERNMENT OR THE IMPLEMENTATION OR APPLICATION OF ANY LAW, INCLUDING
    STATE AND LOCAL LAWS, ORDINANCES, RULES, REGULATIONS AND POLICIES, WHETHER
    STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER THE IMPLEMENTATION OR APPLICATION IS MADE
    OR ATTEMPTED TO BE MADE BY THE GOVERNMENT OR NONGOVERNMENTAL PERSONS



    >>>>
    So, doesn't repair your analogy. Look we get it, you think the law is bad. You're in luck, the legislators that passed it are of the same mind and have called for the governor to veto.

  7. #707
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Whether for financial reasons or other....it is refreshing and encouraging to see so many companies and so many good people speaking about against this display of hatred and bigotry. The bigots of the world are learning that the vast majority of American is no longer buying into their idealogy. They are a dying breed.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #708
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    From what I read, the bill is designed to close some loopholes in a law that already exists. If the law already exists, why all this righteous indignation?

    Arizona businesses already can refuse to serve gays: SB1062 explained - latimes.com

    Why the need if the law is only under threat in New Mexico?

    “Freedom is too important to leave to chance,” LaRue said.

    He offered an example:

    “There is a law that bans discrimination at public accommodations based on religion in Arizona. Let’s pretend that I’m a bakery and that in my town here in Arizona, Westboro Baptist Church comes to picket a funeral of a soldier, and they tell me to bake a cake. They want it to say, ‘God hates ...’ and that terrible word they use.

    “It would offend my dignity. I don’t want to give voice to that horrible message. Right now, they could sue me for discriminating based on their religious beliefs. If the Arizona courts went the way of the New Mexico courts, I would lose and if they targeted me, I could lose my business because of the damages I’d have to pay out. I would never be able to assert my Religious Freedom Restoration Act defense because it’s available only if the government is prosecuting me.”
    Businesses still have the right to refuse to print certain messages on cakes. What they are not free to do is discriminate who gets to buy the cake. The law would still protect a business that didn't want to write "**** all Jews" on a cake.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #709
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,640

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    From what I read, the bill is designed to close some loopholes in a law that already exists. If the law already exists, why all this righteous indignation?

    Arizona businesses already can refuse to serve gays: SB1062 explained - latimes.com
    Why the need if the law is only under threat in New Mexico?

    “Freedom is too important to leave to chance,” LaRue said.

    He offered an example:

    “There is a law that bans discrimination at public accommodations based on religion in Arizona. Let’s pretend that I’m a bakery and that in my town here in Arizona, Westboro Baptist Church comes to picket a funeral of a soldier, and they tell me to bake a cake. They want it to say, ‘God hates ...’ and that terrible word they use.

    “It would offend my dignity. I don’t want to give voice to that horrible message. Right now, they could sue me for discriminating based on their religious beliefs. If the Arizona courts went the way of the New Mexico courts, I would lose and if they targeted me, I could lose my business because of the damages I’d have to pay out. I would never be able to assert my Religious Freedom Restoration Act defense because it’s available only if the government is prosecuting me.”
    Because of our long and storied history of kicking homosexuals out of businesses. Hell, it's in the papers and on the TV every day. As soon as Arizonans found out they could kick gays out of their stores there have been starving homosexuals all over the state because nobody will allow them to buy food.
    /s

    That's really the kicker here. This bill is pretty much a solution to a non-existent problem and the likely outcome is crusaders from both sides using it as a soap box.....like is happening now.

  10. #710
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    From what I just hear on MSNBC, only Phoenix, Tucson and Flagstaff currently safeguard gay rights.
    This bill would eliminate those completely .
    Physics is Phun

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •