Page 24 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 1212

Thread: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

  1. #231
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Or they could just say they'd not allow fundamentalist Christians through their door, which would be fine with me.
    It would be fine with everyone who respects the freedom of private property.

  2. #232
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Very little of that is discrimination, it's mostly women not wanting a man messing with their privates.
    What you've written is an EXPLANATION for their sexual discrimination, not some alternative to discrimination.

  3. #233
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    It isnt about equality its about property rights. If i have a box of rice and decide to sell it, why should you choose who i sell it to? What gives you the right to control my property?
    Exactly the argument used back in the "Good Ol' Days", so obviously you believe like Rand Paul, who thinks the Civil Rights Acts are all government over reach. Nice to know that there are some Americans who don't think all Americans are equal to them.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  4. #234
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Exactly the argument used back in the "Good Ol' Days", so obviously you believe like Rand Paul, who thinks the Civil Rights Acts are all government over reach. Nice to know that there are some Americans who don't think all Americans are equal to them.
    Not necessarily. But i do think that the government controlling my property is an over reach. I never said that anybody wasnt equal to me. We are talking about why the government should control my private property.

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Exactly the argument used back in the "Good Ol' Days", so obviously you believe like Rand Paul, who thinks the Civil Rights Acts are all government over reach. Nice to know that there are some Americans who don't think all Americans are equal to them.
    Two provisions of the 1964 civil rights act Rand Paul is against. Is there a reason you think the entire act contains only two provisions?

  6. #236
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    So nobody wants to take on my scenario?

    I have a limited supply of chicken nuggets that i want to sell. Why should you get to decide who i sell them to?

  7. #237
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    This is why i call worthless hate monger on everyone behind this bill:

    "If we were having this conversation in regard to African-Americans or women, there would be outrage across the country right now.""

    So let's see some real principled business/religious extremism or don't bother!

  8. #238
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,078

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Move to a place where it wasn't. If there wasn't a place where I was accepted, I would begin to consider that maybe I'm doing something wrong.
    like if you were gay or black or a certain religion or had unpopular religious views this law help coerce you form your home or how you behave and that's ok

    that's for some one who has the money to try and run their own business consumers can now face the same kind of treatment and it might be harder for them to simply move away

    and its wrong that they have to

    this kind of law can give business collective power to limit your free speech and ability to live

    where not letting people discriminate against you just increases business for people

    this kind of law is a greater threat to freedom and rights

  9. #239
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    It isnt about equality its about property rights. If i have a box of rice and decide to sell it, why should you choose who i sell it to? What gives you the right to control my property?
    what gives you the right to discriminate against me. To single me out because of my race or gender or orientation. Honestly, why would you not consider civility and tolerance over a free-for-all for business? You get to rack up one more sale because you chose to tolerate where some guy puts his wong. Why would you NOT do that. Because you and your self-righteous insistence that your god knows best.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  10. #240
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    This is why i call worthless hate monger on everyone behind this bill:

    "If we were having this conversation in regard to African-Americans or women, there would be outrage across the country right now.""

    So let's see some real principled business/religious extremism or don't bother!
    But we aren't, so your poutrage is directed at a strawman.

Page 24 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •