Page 105 of 122 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1212

Thread: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

  1. #1041
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    We are talking in circles... I never disputed the CNN overstated the issue. I was only pointing out your disingenuous outrage given this is something Fox does all the time (The CBO report, in the example I cited never said Obamacare would result in the lost of 2.3 million jobs, yet that was the Fox headline).

    I do agree misstating the byline with the intent to inflame or tilt/make the news is an outrageous practice for a real news organization: I expect better of CNN, yet Fox is Fox. However, it is hypocritical to call one party out on it and accept it from another, which is what you have done here.
    On the subject of the OP I pointed out how CNN misrepresented the law and then pointed out how you excused that with the typical "Oh yeah, what about FOX" line. That is what I have done here.

  2. #1042
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    CNN called it an anti gay bill even though there is no mention of gays in the bill. You got one thing right in your post though. I was right and you were wrong.
    True there are no mention of gays in the bill. However I watched portions of the legislative in chamber debate (you can find news reports and videos if you look), the justification for the bill was cases like Elaine Photography (New Mexico), Sweetcakes by Melissa (Oregon), and Masterpiece Cakes (Colorado) and the fact that these people were found in violation of those states Public Accommodation laws. All cases involving homosexuals. (Laws which by the way did list sexual orientation as protected while Arizona didn't).

    The fact is that the "intent" of the bill was to clearly target gays, the "consequences" of the bill are that businesses owners would have been allowed to discriminate against blacks, Jews, Muslims, women, Hispanics, and the disabled and could hide behind "sincerely held religous beliefs" to do it. (Disabled? you might ask. Yes, Muslims find dogs an unclean animal and won't associate with them. Just as Muslim cab drivers in Minnesota were found in violation for refusing to take blind and disabled customers with service dogs. Under this law they could claim a religous exemption to serviceing disabled people.)



    >>>>

  3. #1043
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    CNN called it an anti gay bill even though there is no mention of gays in the bill. You got one thing right in your post though. I was right and you were wrong.
    CNN?

    and these 9 others with a quick news search, could probably find 10 more lol

    it was accurately described especially when one reads the bill, the motivation for it (cases about gay rights) and watches the legislative iprocedings which the news did.

    Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor - chicagotribune.com
    Arizona governor vetoes anti-gay bill
    Arizona Governor Jan Brewer Vetoes Anti-Gay Bill - NBC News
    Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoes so-called anti-gay bill - latimes.com
    Arizona governor vetoes controversial bill allowing denial of service to gays
    Arizona Governor Vetoes Bill Seen Discriminating Against Gays - Businessweek
    Jan Brewer Announces Veto Of Arizona Anti-Gay Bill SB 1062
    Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoes anti-gay bill | MSNBC
    Arizona governor vetoes anti-gay bill - Chicago Sun-Times

    the reality is it was an ant-igay bill lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #1044
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    True there are no mention of gays in the bill. However I watched portions of the legislative in chamber debate (you can find news reports and videos if you look), the justification for the bill was cases like Elaine Photography (New Mexico), Sweetcakes by Melissa (Oregon), and Masterpiece Cakes (Colorado) and the fact that these people were found in violation of those states Public Accommodation laws. All cases involving homosexuals. (Laws which by the way did list sexual orientation as protected while Arizona didn't).

    The fact is that the "intent" of the bill was to clearly target gays, the "consequences" of the bill are that businesses owners would have been allowed to discriminate against blacks, Jews, Muslims, women, Hispanics, and the disabled and could hide behind "sincerely held religous beliefs" to do it. (Disabled? you might ask. Yes, Muslims find dogs an unclean animal and won't associate with them. Just as Muslim cab drivers in Minnesota were found in violation for refusing to take blind and disabled customers with service dogs. Under this law they could claim a religous exemption to serviceing disabled people.)



    >>>>
    The first time I ever visited California was on a trip with my mother, grandmother, and a great-aunt. We came here by train to visit a couple of my uncles. We rented a car and had to stop at a gas station in between destinations to use the restroom. The guy behind the counter told us that we couldn't use the restroom and when asked why, he simply said "you're women, no man". My mother was pissed but there really wasn't much she could do. We didn't live here and were on a tight schedule. People could deny so many things based solely on religious beliefs with a law like this. Extremists may be a small minority, but they can still be anywhere.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #1045
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    CNN called it an anti gay bill even though there is no mention of gays in the bill. You got one thing right in your post though. I was right and you were wrong.
    No mention that it might be an anti Christian bill?

  6. #1046
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

    Yes CNN AND all the lib media misrepresented the bill. Your point is?

  7. #1047
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    True there are no mention of gays in the bill. However I watched portions of the legislative in chamber debate (you can find news reports and videos if you look), the justification for the bill was cases like Elaine Photography (New Mexico), Sweetcakes by Melissa (Oregon), and Masterpiece Cakes (Colorado) and the fact that these people were found in violation of those states Public Accommodation laws. All cases involving homosexuals. (Laws which by the way did list sexual orientation as protected while Arizona didn't).

    The fact is that the "intent" of the bill was to clearly target gays, the "consequences" of the bill are that businesses owners would have been allowed to discriminate against blacks, Jews, Muslims, women, Hispanics, and the disabled and could hide behind "sincerely held religous beliefs" to do it. (Disabled? you might ask. Yes, Muslims find dogs an unclean animal and won't associate with them. Just as Muslim cab drivers in Minnesota were found in violation for refusing to take blind and disabled customers with service dogs. Under this law they could claim a religous exemption to serviceing disabled people.)




    >>>>
    It was a pro religious freedom bill not anti gay and as you point out could be used to deny service for many other reasons than being gay which proves it was not an anti gay bill.

  8. #1048
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    It was a pro religious freedom bill not anti gay and as you point out could be used to deny service for many other reasons than being gay which proves it was not an anti gay bill.
    As I said, the intent of the bill, as espoused by the supporters was to prevent such cases as had happened in New Mexico, Oregon, and Colorado - which of course involved homosexuals. If the cases had involved businesses that had discriminated because of race (i.e. the owners claimed a religious right to discriminate against interracial couples, or Muslims) there wouldn't have been a stir. Arizona legislatures wouldn't have even considered coming up with such a bill. But because it was "the gheys" a new bill was needed, even though gays ALREADY had no legal protections based on sexual orientation under either Arizona Public Accommodation laws or Employment Law.

    Please don't insult our intelligence by suggesting the driving force behind this bill wasn't to provide protections so that "religious" people so they could discriminate against the gays. The fact that it was poorly written with unintended consequences and came to national attention and people actually found out about it is beside the point.


    >>>>

  9. #1049
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    As I said, the intent of the bill, as espoused by the supporters was to prevent such cases as had happened in New Mexico, Oregon, and Colorado - which of course involved homosexuals. If the cases had involved businesses that had discriminated because of race (i.e. the owners claimed a religious right to discriminate against interracial couples, or Muslims) there wouldn't have been a stir. Arizona legislatures wouldn't have even considered coming up with such a bill. But because it was "the gheys" a new bill was needed, even though gays ALREADY had no legal protections based on sexual orientation under either Arizona Public Accommodation laws or Employment Law.

    Please don't insult our intelligence by suggesting the driving force behind this bill wasn't to provide protections so that "religious" people so they could discriminate against the gays. The fact that it was poorly written with unintended consequences and came to national attention and people actually found out about it is beside the point.


    >>>>
    Point of fact it was not an anti gay bill it was a religion freedom bill. Whether or not that manifest itself mostly with gays is completely irrelevant and labeling it an anti gay bill was pure left wing spin.

  10. #1050
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    It was a pro religious freedom bill not anti gay.
    "It was a pro white freedom bill, not a anti black"

    Do you guys hear yourselves sometimes?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •