Page 103 of 122 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1212

Thread: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

  1. #1021
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I knew a couple people who worked at walmart and refused to sell alcohol or tobacco when cheering. They just put the same sign on their register that employees under 18/21 used. It was never an issue that I'm aware of.
    When 'cheering?'

    Anyway, I'm pretty sure that they were not informing their managers of their actions and that they'd have been fired if they made it known and persisted.
    On a related note: Obama’s EEOC Sues Trucking Company After Muslim Who Refused to Transport Alcohol Fired; Not First Time

    So if you're Muslim then Obama will guard your religious views (even after those Muslim truckers signed an agreement knowing they would be transporting alcohol), but if you're Christian he won't. Gotta love those Kenyan roots. Let's see that birth certificate one more time.

    Anyway, the bill was vetoed because the NFL threatened to take the next Superbowl away from Arizona (the NFL is under enough heat from the administration over concussions and has to play the political game), and Apple threatened not to build a planned new iPhone plant there (Apple would like to keep it's NSA contracts), not because of some ascended view on discrimination et-al.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-27-14 at 02:03 PM.

  2. #1022
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,878

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Brewer vetoed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #1023
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,298

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Refusing to transport booze is the same as refusing to serve food to a gay person? Really?

  4. #1024
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Refusing to transport booze is the same as refusing to serve food to a gay person? Really?
    The actions are different, the reason for refusal to take the actions are indentical.

  5. #1025
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,298

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The actions are different, the reason for refusal to take the actions are indentical.
    Let's see if I get this. Discriminating against people is the same as not transporting booze.

    It is amazing how easily religious folks but their own BS.

  6. #1026
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Refusing to transport booze is the same as refusing to serve food to a gay person? Really?
    Yup, really.

  7. #1027
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Let's see if I get this. Discriminating against people is the same as not transporting booze.
    Be specific: Refusing to make a cake for a gay couple is the same as refusing to transport alcohol. The gay couple could go to another cake shop and the employer could have had someone else drive that truck.

    In the first case, the cake maker was sued out of business, so why is Obama backing the Muslim in the second case? Doesn't integrity require the Muslim's claim to be denied?

  8. #1028
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    On a related note: Obama’s EEOC Sues Trucking Company After Muslim Who Refused to Transport Alcohol Fired; Not First Time

    So if you're Muslim then Obama will guard your religious views (even after those Muslim truckers signed an agreement knowing they would be transporting alcohol), but if you're Christian he won't. Gotta love those Kenyan roots. Let's see that birth certificate one more time.

    Anyway, the bill was vetoed because the NFL threatened to take the next Superbowl away from Arizona (the NFL is under enough heat from the administration over concussions and has to play the political game), and Apple threatened not to build a planned new iPhone plant there (Apple would like to keep it's NSA contracts), not because of some ascended view on discrimination et-al.

    Not really related at all.

    One is an Employment law, the other is Public Accommodation law regarding businesses and customers.

    Under employment law the employer is required to make an accommodation to requests made based on religious beliefs - unless doing so would seriously burden the business. We're talking an multi/state trucking company here with many drivers. As such the Logistics Manager could easily have scheduled a different driver for the delivery. On the other hand, in the cases that have made national attention (Elaine Photography, Sweetcakes by Melissa, and Masterpiece Cakes) it was the business OWNER that refused the service to the customer, since the owner refused and did not attempt to have another employee fill the order - that is a different kettle of fish.



    >>>>

  9. #1029
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Let's see if I get this. Discriminating against people is the same as not transporting booze.

    It is amazing how easily religious folks but their own BS.
    You've gone off the deep end. Again, different actions, same reason behind the actions. A reason btw that is protected by Constitution.

  10. #1030
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,298

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You've gone off the deep end. Again, different actions, same reason behind the actions. A reason btw that is protected by Constitution.
    Fortunately you righties are losing again and again. Must suck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •