Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 220

Thread: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

  1. #191
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Such nonsense. If a person would work for a dollar a day, sure. If a person could pay their bills and eat on a dollar a day, okay. A dollar is a completely relative unit of measurement. That's simply not how it works. A business wants to be successful, and to do so, it needs talent, and it needs people that will work hard in a variety of roles. You can't get and keep good people unless you pay them. Competition will take your people from you if you don't. It happens all day, every day.
    Except that isn't how it works. Workers often were not even paid in money prior to the establishment of labor and wage laws. They were paid in coupons and vouchers and those who were actually paid in real money didn't get much of it. Abuse of the labor force was also widespread. Many companies still do this today when they outsource so your argument doesn't carry any weight in the real world. If they could go back to doing this in the United States then they would. The problem in the United States today is that the minimum wage is not a living wage which means that the taxpayers are the hook to make-up the difference via social programs like welfare and food stamps. So, either we force employers to pay living wages or we continue on with bloated social welfare programs because American businesses are cheapskates.

  2. #192
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Except that isn't how it works. Workers often were not even paid in money prior to the establishment of labor and wage laws. They were paid in coupons and vouchers and those who were actually paid in real money didn't get much of it. Abuse of the labor force was also widespread. Many companies still do this today when they outsource so your argument doesn't carry any weight in the real world. If they could go back to doing this in the United States then they would. The problem in the United States today is that the minimum wage is not a living wage which means that the taxpayers are the hook to make-up the difference via social programs like welfare and food stamps. So, either we force employers to pay living wages or we continue on with bloated social welfare programs because American businesses are cheapskates.
    And in 500 B.C., it was even worse!

    Trust me, I've sat through years and years of budget meetings. There is an established and acceptable profit margin that companies aim for, and in many cases, are expected to deliver for investors. Raise the minimum wage, and all you do is force layoffs or price increases (the former is easier to implement), or you force companies to look for overseas for cheaper, more dependable labor. THAT is how it works.

    Add unions, stifling legal risks, benefits, and workers who use and abuse PTO and leave time every year to their full potential, and that's what these evil American businesses are facing.

    The pendulum needed to swing toward labor at one time, I agree. But it has swung far too far, and liberals just keep pushing it further and further out of whack. The unskilled and uneducated are unknowingly paying a huge price for that.

  3. #193
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,542

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Except that isn't how it works. Workers often were not even paid in money prior to the establishment of labor and wage laws. They were paid in coupons and vouchers and those who were actually paid in real money didn't get much of it. Abuse of the labor force was also widespread. Many companies still do this today when they outsource so your argument doesn't carry any weight in the real world. If they could go back to doing this in the United States then they would. The problem in the United States today is that the minimum wage is not a living wage which means that the taxpayers are the hook to make-up the difference via social programs like welfare and food stamps. So, either we force employers to pay living wages or we continue on with bloated social welfare programs because American businesses are cheapskates.
    Dead on. If companies could go back to paying workers in company script they'd do it in a heartbeat. Wal-Mart was paying their Mexican Workers up until 2008 in company script/ Vouchers until the courts outlawed the practice.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  4. #194
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,898

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Except that isn't how it works. Workers often were not even paid in money prior to the establishment of labor and wage laws. They were paid in coupons and vouchers and those who were actually paid in real money didn't get much of it. Abuse of the labor force was also widespread. Many companies still do this today when they outsource so your argument doesn't carry any weight in the real world. If they could go back to doing this in the United States then they would.
    I think you would be hard pressed to prove this...but you are welcome to try.

    The problem in the United States today is that the minimum wage is not a living wage which means that the taxpayers are the hook to make-up the difference via social programs like welfare and food stamps. So, either we force employers to pay living wages or we continue on with bloated social welfare programs because American businesses are cheapskates.
    The only reason the taxpayers are on the hook for anything is because liberal politicians put them on the hook a long time ago and have kept them there...against all reasonable or reasoned economic precepts, I might add.

    I suggest you spew your liberal balderdash some place where you can find people who don't know any better than to believe you. Those people aren't hard to find, after all.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  5. #195
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,542

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I think you would be hard pressed to prove this...but you are welcome to try.



    The only reason the taxpayers are on the hook for anything is because liberal politicians put them on the hook a long time ago and have kept them there...against all reasonable or reasoned economic precepts, I might add.

    I suggest you spew your liberal balderdash some place where you can find people who don't know any better than to believe you. Those people aren't hard to find, after all.
    Come on now, Wal-Mart was paying their Mexican workers in company vouchers until it became illegal. They did it because they could get away with it. They'd love to still be able to pay in company script. It's all about getting labor for as close to zero as possible. Heck if slavery were still legal, Wal-Mart would be set.
    Last edited by HenryChinaski; 02-20-14 at 05:48 PM.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  6. #196
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,742

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    Come on now, Wal-Mart was paying their Mexican workers in company vouchers until it became illegal. They did it because they could get away with it. They'd love to still be able to pay in company script. It's all about getting labor for as next to zero as possible. Heck if slavery were still legal, Wal-Mart would be set.
    yea that is mexico ever been there? i know people that have the whole place is corrupt and so are the people down there who run companies.

    the problem is that no one would work for it. they would be forced to pay something else at least here in the US. they wouldn't find workers. i know i wouldn't work for it i would go out and start my own gig. companies would lose billions of dollars.

  7. #197
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,898

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    Come on now, Wal-Mart was paying their Mexican workers in company vouchers until it became illegal. They did it because they could get away with it. They'd love to still be able to pay in company script. It's all about getting labor for as close to zero as possible. Heck if slavery were still legal, Wal-Mart would be set.
    Who cares about Walmart and Mexico?

    The declarative statement that Napoleon made was that "If they (many companies) could go back to doing this in the United States then they would." I don't think that statement of fact can be proven.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  8. #198
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,542

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    yea that is mexico ever been there? i know people that have the whole place is corrupt and so are the people down there who run companies.

    the problem is that no one would work for it. they would be forced to pay something else at least here in the US. they wouldn't find workers. i know i wouldn't work for it i would go out and start my own gig. companies would lose billions of dollars.
    Up until recent decades here in the US, lumber and mining companies were paying their employees in script and company store money until it finally became outlawed. There was no short supply of labor. Those industries preyed on desperate men with no other options and a need to eat. If a business can get away with it, they'll do it. Think about it. Businesses were using child labor until the practice was outlawed.
    Last edited by HenryChinaski; 02-20-14 at 06:04 PM.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  9. #199
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,898

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    Up until recent decades here in the US, lumber and mining companies were paying their employees in script and company store money until it finally became outlawed. There was no short supply of labor. Those industries preyed on desperate men with no other options and a need to eat. If a business can get away with it, they'll do it. Think about it. Businesses were using child labor until the practice was outlawed.
    Yeah...not only that, but people used to burn witches at the stake, too!! I just KNOW that there are still some of those people around and they really, really want to do that again.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #200
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,542

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Yeah...not only that, but people used to burn witches at the stake, too!! I just KNOW that there are still some of those people around and they really, really want to do that again.
    My point is that government needs to step in sometimes. Company script, Child labor laws, workplace safety, etc.. A company will keep it business as usual until there is intervention... Oh wait then they just close up shop and ship off to some third world nation and exploit their people.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •