Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 220

Thread: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

  1. #171
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,634

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    I admitted my mistake and then went on to explain my reasoning. For some reason you want to harp on about this but then bizarrely make the same mistake I made and then turn around and try to correct me using my own previous, incorrect terminology.

    Quoting election era Republican propaganda against Obama is not very convincing that the middle class is improving. That article is so deceptive and disingenuous it is eye rolling bad... like I said, election era propaganda.

    I cannot compare Wal-Mart and Costco because they are not identical? Really? How does that make sense.

    Compare all the retail stores and you'll find Wal-Mart pays by far the least and all the others pay significantly more. Wal-Mart's ability to stay union free and pay poverty wages is their greatest achievement.
    it's only propaganda because it discredits what you say so therefore it is wrong. if you have read the links. it was the Pew research center that did the actual work.
    so i guess now they are a propaganda machine now. thanks for clearing that up.

    comparing apples and orange is dishonest and disingenuous. costco and walmart are not even remotely the same.
    comparing walmart to target or sears or something would be more accurate. when compared they all pay about the same.

    Why Can
    the chart here actually compares walmart to costco which shows exactly why it is invald to to compare them.

    some interesting facts. walmart has 10x more stores than costco.
    costco only employ's about 100k people. walmart employee's 1m people in the US. so they have about 10x the employee's
    i was wrong before. costco only carries about 4k items in each store which mostly are boxed and come on pallets with no stocking needing.

    walmart 140k skews all of which have to be unpacked and stocked on shelves.
    costco also requires a members ship and carries a higher price point.

    if costco would to mirror walmart they would have the same pay rate.

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    I live in an area with a very large Mexican population. What do they live like?

  3. #173
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,559

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    Yes they do. Ohh, my favorite right wing buzz word "entitlement program" Not "I work a full time job for a company that doesn't pay me enough to stock my pantry with enough food, so I have to supplement my dietary needs through a government program funded by the tax-payer"
    That's a flawed argument. The company is properly paying a wage that the market, not the company, has determined is the equilibrium amount for that job. The employee accepts that amount. We are in economic heaven, as all is aligned! It is up to the employee to make himself more skilled and valuable if he wants to earn more money. Not up to the government, the company, or me to increase that person's income.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  4. #174
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    That's a flawed argument. The company is properly paying a wage that the market, not the company, has determined is the equilibrium amount for that job. The employee accepts that amount. We are in economic heaven, as all is aligned! It is up to the employee to make himself more skilled and valuable if he wants to earn more money. Not up to the government, the company, or me to increase that person's income.
    Not a flawed argument at all. WalMart is doing quite well financially yet they pay a wage where a large percentage of their employees still need WIC. Maybe they could get a second job? Wal-Mart has rigged that as well by assigning varying shifts and hours making a second gig nearly impossible. WalMart knows exactly what they're doing in keeping their worker bees close to the hive. Walmart also reaps the tax payers money when their employees spend that assistance money at work. It's a huge scam. I work for a company that is as large as Walmart in size, scope and name in the accounting industry and I seriously doubt that any of my employers worker bees are on welfare. Walmart are just cheap asses and playing the taxpayer for suckers.

  5. #175
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,394

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    Not a flawed argument at all. WalMart is doing quite well financially yet they pay a wage where a large percentage of their employees still need WIC. Maybe they could get a second job? Wal-Mart has rigged that as well by assigning varying shifts and hours making a second gig nearly impossible. WalMart knows exactly what they're doing in keeping their worker bees close to the hive. Walmart also reaps the tax payers money when their employees spend that assistance money at work. It's a huge scam. I work for a company that is as large as Walmart in size, scope and name in the accounting industry and I seriously doubt that any of my employers worker bees are on welfare. Walmart are just cheap asses and playing the taxpayer for suckers.
    If those folks aren't making enough money, they should get their asses in gear and get a higher paying job.

    It's counter-productive to reward a person's lack of ambition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #176
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If those folks aren't making enough money, they should get their asses in gear and get a higher paying job.

    It's counter-productive to reward a person's lack of ambition.
    Where do these people find better paying jobs in these craphole small towns where Walmart has set up shop? You're either working for them, Citgo or Subway.

  7. #177
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,394

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    Where do these people find better paying jobs in these craphole small towns where Walmart has set up shop? You're either working for them, Citgo or Subway.
    They go where the work is. Again, it's all about excercising some ambition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    You have no argument so you're clinging to semantics, very weak.
    I stated (some of my reasons) as to why I thought raising the minimum wage to $10.10 was wrong.

    I also stated (some of) my solutions to America's lack of jobs.

    I also asked for your links to proof of the positions you hold...which you sort of gave (well, you gave links without any specific references AT ALL...whether they constitute proof is highly debatable).


    What more needs to be said?

    If that is not good enough for you...tough.


    I am on here to learn (but ONLY from links to unbiased, facts/data...not from seemingly biased opinions), teach and kill a little time.

    Not debate on and on and on and on with (IMO) close-minded people who insist on putting my words in whatever 'context' they choose and whose views on macroeconomics I have little respect for.

    Sounds like a colossal waste of time to me.


    Now, for the last time...we are done here (for now). I will not respond to your posts on this for (the time being).


    Good day.
    Last edited by DA60; 02-19-14 at 09:20 PM.

  9. #179
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They go where the work is. Again, it's all about excercising some ambition.
    China, Indonesia or Bangladesh?

  10. #180
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,831
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: CBO Says Minimum-Wage Rise May Ease Poverty, Cost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    China, Indonesia or Bangladesh?

    North Dakota.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •