Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 146

Thread: Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

  1. #111
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    So you don't think it's a problem that so many people don't earn enough money from their jobs to survive without government assistance? Your solution seems to be that everybody can just work harder and look for opportunity, and then everybody in society can be above working for 8 dollars an hour at Walmart. That's ridiculous, though, because those jobs need to be and WILL be filled by desperate people that cannot find work anywhere else, largely because corporations like Walmart put so many people out of business. There are not enough high paying jobs to go around, and there will always be a need for low/bottom tier workers, and those people need to be able to get by too. Not everybody is smart, skilled or clever enough to climb up in society and work an awesome job. Not everybody is in a situation where they CAN move up. Millions of people and climbing are trapped in poverty for a plethora of different reasons. Implying that poor people just aren't trying hard enough is a ridiculously ignorant blanket statement.
    The rich are not creating the poor. yes...there ABSOLUTELY needs to be a reinvestment in industry in this country...thats where you find your middle income to upper middle income jobs. Bitching about there not being enough jobs and creating an environment that is unfavorable to said investment doesnt resolve the problem.

  2. #112
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,202

    Re: Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    No, but you claim bigotry, which is the word I used. Learn to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Are gays a race? You seem to like to claim racism/bigotry toward them.

    Fail.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,595

    Re: Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    The reason our government is so bloated and corrupt is the influence of private money from rich people and corporations. Our leaders (state and federal) have to represent their interests over the interests of the people. That's why we have such convoluted regulations, that's why our government spends so much money, that's why there is no actual party of small government. Every single politician has to be on the bankroll of moneyed interests, because anyone who doesn't will get buried in media campaigns to smear them and prop up their more complaint opponents. Those rich interests need less power over our government, not more.
    It is the politicians that need less power, especially those in the federal government. The 17th amendment took power from the states and gave it to the federal government. That should be reversed. And term limits wouldn't hurt, for everyone, including the Supreme Court. There is no way we need all these career politicians that have never worked a day in their lives in the private sector.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    Re: Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The rich are not creating the poor. yes...there ABSOLUTELY needs to be a reinvestment in industry in this country...thats where you find your middle income to upper middle income jobs. Bitching about there not being enough jobs and creating an environment that is unfavorable to said investment doesnt resolve the problem.
    Remove taxes on small businesses and raise them on large corporations. These taxes would ideally get higher and higher as corporate profit grows. Hand out additional fines for the corporations that outsource all of their production for dirt cheap. This will make small businesses much more competitive in what they can pay and the prices of their products. Small businesses will be more and more successful and will start opening up all over the country and creating some of that free market competition the right wing is always talking about, and it will also create a lot of jobs. More competition ensures that prices don't get out of control and employee pay stays competitive. If Walmart wants to jack up their prices and bring down employee pay in response to all of this they will simply go out of business and make more room for small businesses, so obviously they won't do that. Small businesses need help staying competitive because they don't have the resources to get the dirt cheap Chinese labor that is making corporations like Walmart so successful.

  5. #115
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    Remove taxes on small businesses and raise them on large corporations. These taxes would ideally get higher and higher as corporate profit grows. Hand out additional fines for the corporations that outsource all of their production for dirt cheap. This will make small businesses much more competitive in what they can pay and the prices of their products. Small businesses will be more and more successful and will start opening up all over the country and creating some of that free market competition the right wing is always talking about, and it will also create a lot of jobs. More competition ensures that prices don't get out of control and employee pay stays competitive. If Walmart wants to jack up their prices and bring down employee pay in response to all of this they will simply go out of business and make more room for small businesses, so obviously they won't do that. Small businesses need help staying competitive because they don't have the resources to get the dirt cheap Chinese labor that is making corporations like Walmart so successful.
    my response to that might shock you. I dont necessarily agree with raising corporate taxes because large AND small businesses need to be incentivized to bring jobs home. I do believe the government needs to sit down wth labor and industry and negotiate favorable and mutually profitable environments and relationships to entice businesses to bring jobs back home. i believe products manufactured outside of the US by American companies and then brought back to the US for sale and distro should be tariff ed.

    I also believe we should A-stop vilainizing wealthy and successful people and instead celebrate success as a model and ideal, B-create a rock solid mandated plan to cut federal spending, and C-pass a mandated and sundowned series of tax increases to pay down the debt. Not because it is fair but because it is critical to our long term survival.

  6. #116
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Doesn't (D) behind a name stand for Dumb?
    And doesn't (R) behind a name stand for retard?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    02-10-15 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    171

    Re: Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Yes, so that way the 1% moniker becomes the actual reality of the United States and not just a horrible slogan.

    Do you know what largely kept the United States away from socialism? The perception by most Americans that they could work and have an opportunity to rise, and that there was less of a problem of class in the United States.

    If you want to speed up a horrible revolution (leading to an exaggerated left-wing polity), the best way to do it is to put the vast majority of Americans at a dramatically lower footing in this country than currently exists.

    Frankly, this was exactly what Theodore Roosevelt argued against. Big business was here to stay, but if you do not act quick, the real bane of the United States would show up: socialism.
    Social Security has worked out pretty good and it's a socialist program.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    02-10-15 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    171

    Re: Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The vast majority if immigrants, legal and otherwise, come here and find work and opportunity. They dont come here, lay about, steal resources, and complain about how unfair life is.
    The immigrants that go through my trash are businessmen. At least I think they're immigrants because they don't speak english and dress like they live in Calcutta. I see parts of this country resemble the third world because we've been bringing third worlders here with no skills but willing to work for much less money than the average american. The vast majority have jobs? I have no way of knowing this but I know that plenty flock to the welfare offices.
    Last edited by fred68; 02-22-14 at 02:57 AM.

  9. #119
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

    Quote Originally Posted by fred68 View Post
    The immigrants that go through my trash are businessmen. At least I think they're immigrants because they don't speak english and dress like they live in Calcutta. I see parts of this country resemble the third world because we've been bringing third worlders here with no skills but willing to work for much less money than the average american. The vast majority have jobs? I have no way of knowing this but I know that plenty flock to the welfare offices.
    You arent thinking you can blame...say...Detroit on immigrants, are you?

  10. #120
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

    Quote Originally Posted by fred68 View Post
    Social Security has worked out pretty good and it's a socialist program.
    Yeah, if you think a program that is trillions of dollars in unfunded liabilities is a good thing... Me, I know that means it's broke.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •