Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 355

Thread: Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial[W:336]

  1. #151
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Yeah, I know, you're right.

    I've asked attorneys why it's this way, and they say, "It's our job....to do everything we POSSIBLY can to defend our client. I actually don't agree with this. To me, an attorneys job ought to be to help him obtain the best justice he can obtain. And if he's guilty? That probably means taking a deal.
    Actually the standard is doing everything within the law. Defense attorneys' job is to make sure the state has the prosecution nailed down, if they can introduce an alternative theory of the crime it is so that the state would be forced to prove their theory beyond a reasonable doubt. That is to protect the innocent even if the guilty some times are not convicted. The power the state has to take liberty and of course in some cases life should be held to an extremely high standard. Forcing the state to prove their case is fighting for true justice.

  2. #152
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Other then of course shooting at people



    And killing one young man for no good reason.

  3. #153
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Leaving the scene....not a big deal if you need to get to safety.

    When you are safe, call 911 or drive to the nearest police station or officer.

    Why would someone not take this reasonable action?



    One possible reason is that he knew that he had screwed up, big-time.

  4. #154
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Correct neither of us were there and this is Monday quarterbacking. But I do know from past experiences I have jumped in for a friend who was being threaten to fight and have even jumped in before for a complete stranger.
    A fist fight is not the same as having gun fire directed at you.Its a lot harder for fists to hospitalize or kill you than it is for bullets to hospitalize or kill you. You have never been in this situation so you can not say what you would or wouldn't do.
    But I do know there is that survivor mode we have in us and if somebody is shooting at me and I have a shotgun at my access I am going to fire back. If there was a shotgun, and I believe this story came out as an afterthought by Dunn, it was on the victim and the passenger could have easily picked it up.
    Survivor mode also says you preserve your life,which sometimes means getting the **** out of Dodge.You have never been in this situation so you can not say what you would or wouldn't do.


    Even with them backing up he was firing into them. I just can't believe one of these guys who many described as gangster thugs wouldn't have grabbed that gun and fired back.
    If they using a pipe to give the impression that they had a gun its completely understandable that they didn't fire.Also they are trying to escape gun fire so it also understandable that they are trying to flee instead of trying to fire back.

    But the biggest red herring is that he did not immediately report this to the police that day or even the next.
    This is why it is suspicious that it was self defense.

    Let me ask you this. If you had just shot the crap out of a car with 4 people in it , regardless if you were in the right or not , could you honestly just drive to a bed and breakfast and enjoy a pizza?I would be on the phone to the authorities and an attorney. I would not have any appetite that night worrying about my outcome when this is investigated.
    I do not know, I have never shot the crap out of a car with 4 people in it.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #155
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial

    Too much poo to repost it all.

    Guilt by association? fact is the dead teen was an advance placement student.

    Drinking before the use of deadly force doesn't matter? The fact no one supports Dunn's claims, but several hear him angrily shouting at the SUV, he didn't just shoot to eliminate the threat but continued to shoot as the 'threat' left. Eye witness saw the boys across the street and tesified they didn't remove a weapon from the SUV.

    SYG is separate of self defense legally, like I said if it was SYG there would have been a hearing and if it was determined by a judge that SYG is true then no trial, fact is the defense NEVER asked for the hearing.

    You can fling poo and grasp at straws, Dunn drank at a wedding, shot at some kids over loud music, drove away, spent the night at a hotel, and only after returning home contacted the police.

    Actions do speak louder than words. Dunn's actions convicted him. That the jury hung over murder 1 doesn't mean anyone thought he was not guilty of murder, it just means at least ONE thought not guilty of murder 1.

    Anyway, if Dunn was upset over all the 'thugs' in jail, just wait til he gets to prison!

    But birds of a feather.....

  6. #156
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,152

    Re: Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    how on earth does this happen? How can a jury in heavens name not agree on a murder charge in such a case. Hopefully they can go back and do this trial again with a more sane jury.
    Apparently it was the "premeditated" part....


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #157
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,152

    Re: Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You are not making any sense here.
    And you are wrong again.
    There is evidence that there was a gun.
    His testimony is evidence. And that is supported by circumstantial evidence that they tried to stash it.
    If both people had guns, how do you decide which side you're on? Usually with you, anybody with a gun is automatically right.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #158
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,152

    Re: Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Only similarity in my mind is that the black guy ended up shot dead.
    I think the comparison is "being threatening." Zimmerman felt threatened by a hoodie. This guy felt threatened by loud music.

    Though ask yourself this - if it were white kids blasting Led Zeppelin, would he "feel threatened." (I mean, besides the fact that blasting Zeppelin is awesome.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #159
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I think the comparison is "being threatening." Zimmerman felt threatened by a hoodie. This guy felt threatened by loud music.

    Though ask yourself this - if it were white kids blasting Led Zeppelin, would he "feel threatened." (I mean, besides the fact that blasting Zeppelin is awesome.)
    I see your point. I can't imagine me ever saying anything to anyone while I'm waiting around at a gas station. His life would be much better now if he'd just started dancin'. (Which is probably what I would have done . . . acknowledged the music is loud-loud-loud -- which might make me happy to pass along to them -- and join the party.)

    That guy was filled with bad decisions. That's why I think he was probably alcohol impaired from his son's wedding. That's the only scenerio I can think of where I might not stay at the scene . . . they drove off as he was SHOOTING AT THE DAMNED CAR. I think the wild-assed assumption that he was drunk answers the question of "Why the HELL did he drive off and not contact the cops???"

  10. #160
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,632

    Re: Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder in 'loud-music' trial

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I see your point. I can't imagine me ever saying anything to anyone while I'm waiting around at a gas station. His life would be much better now if he'd just started dancin'. (Which is probably what I would have done . . . acknowledged the music is loud-loud-loud -- which might make me happy to pass along to them -- and join the party.)

    That guy was filled with bad decisions. That's why I think he was probably alcohol impaired from his son's wedding. That's the only scenerio I can think of where I might not stay at the scene . . . they drove off as he was SHOOTING AT THE DAMNED CAR. I think the wild-assed assumption that he was drunk answers the question of "Why the HELL did he drive off and not contact the cops???"
    It also answers why his g/f was driving and not him. i think he was partly drunk or still buzzed from the wedding.

Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •