Page 74 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 1330

Thread: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

  1. #731
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,972

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Polls are one thing and voting is another.
    It's kind of presumptuous to assume people will vote opposite their beliefs on an issue. If I suggested that those who answered that they don't support ssm would go and vote for candidates in support of ssm, you'd agree that would be a pretty silly thing to say.

  2. #732
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by MACS-24 View Post
    So 100% is outside of statistical norm? 100% of cannibals eat other humans. You are trying to equate our culture to some other totally different culture and judging it - apples & oranges. What solletica was saying is correct.
    duh....not 100% of humans are cannibals. keep flailing and failing

    using that ****ed up logic, serial killing is normal since 100% of serial killers kill a series of people. child molestation is normal since 100% of child molestors molest kids. rape is normal since 100% of rapists rape people.

    I hope you can see how stupid that line of reasoning is.....
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #733
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It's kind of presumptuous to assume people will vote opposite their beliefs on an issue. If I suggested that those who answered that they don't support ssm would go and vote for candidates in support of ssm, you'd agree that would be a pretty silly thing to say.
    I am not talking about the future. Every time the public has voted on the issue, it has been defeated, which is why the only way to get it approved is with the courts now.

  4. #734
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, the sampling was not an issue at all. It was done so BECAUSE of what the study was aimed towards. The people to be studied had to be people of each sexual orientation who were NOT involved in any kind of psychiatric treatment. Prior studies that "proved" that homosexuality was a mental illness, ONLY studied people who WERE in psychiatric treatment, a major confound as the members in the sample were KNOWN to have a mental illness. That's what distinguished Hooker's study: her sample. It could not be random in order to get accurate results.
    So to counter a bias of one kind, she introduces a study biased opposite. Why not a study that is unbiased either direction.

    She quotes another document, "It is well known that many people, including physicians, react in an exaggerated way to sexual deviations and particularly to homosexuality with disgust, anger, and hostility. Such feelings often arise from the individual's own conflict centering about his unconscious homosexual impulses. These attitudes may interfere with an intelligent and objective handling of the problem." Thus establishing her own bias against such attitudes. If her goal was to be unbiased, that whole section would be unnecessary and should not of been included.

    So we have a study with sanitized control groups and a biased researcher. If the study was on any other subject, what would your opinion of such a study be?
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  5. #735
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It's kind of presumptuous to assume people will vote opposite their beliefs on an issue. If I suggested that those who answered that they don't support ssm would go and vote for candidates in support of ssm, you'd agree that would be a pretty silly thing to say.
    Have you checked out the actual state polls which is where this will be decided? suggest you do that before taking victory laps

  6. #736
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,972

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I am not talking about the future. Every time the public has voted on the issue, it has been defeated, which is why the only way to get it approved is with the courts now.
    Incorrect. Vermont, New Hampshire, D.C., Connecticut, New York, Washington, Maryland, Rhode Island, Minnesota, Deleware, Hawaii and Illinois voted for ssm, and a number of those were before the recent rise of public support for ssm into the majority.

  7. #737
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,972

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Have you checked out the actual state polls which is where this will be decided? suggest you do that before taking victory laps
    Ultimately, in the end, it's almost certainly the courts where it will be settled once and for all.

  8. #738
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    If she's saying publicity didn't have anything to do with her announcement - she is a liar. And if you're believing her, that reflects poorly upon you. It's her job, all part and parcel of the life she lives in the spotlight. Empathy has nothing to do with it. She's an actress, actresses live on publicity. Really, are you seriously saying you don't know this?
    Now you just sound bitter.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  9. #739
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Incorrect. Vermont, New Hampshire, D.C., Connecticut, New York, Washington, Maryland, Rhode Island, Minnesota, Deleware, Hawaii and Illinois voted for ssm, and a number of those were before the recent rise of public support for ssm into the majority.
    Suggest again that you verify by state

    Public Support for Marriage for Same-sex Couples by State | Williams Institute

    That is where ratification of a Constitutional Amendment will occur. You have a long way to go and this shows why national polls are irrelevant. Kind of like popularity polls regarding Congress Since the only polls that matter regarding Congress are local polls

  10. #740
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,972

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Suggest again that you verify by state

    Public Support for Marriage for Same-sex Couples by State | Williams Institute

    That is where ratification of a Constitutional Amendment will occur. You have a long way to go and this shows why national polls are irrelevant. Kind of like popularity polls regarding Congress Since the only polls that matter regarding Congress are local polls
    Not really relevant because, as I said, the issue will ultimately come down to the courts anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •