Page 48 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 1330

Thread: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

  1. #471
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Not even close. Suicide rate for homosexuals is 2-4 times that of heterosexuals. Reasons cited for suicidality amongst homosexuals, not in any particular order:

    1) Non-acceptance from family members.
    2) Being bullied or harassed.
    3) Living in a heterocentric culture.
    4) Being a minority.
    5) Homophobia.
    6) Denial of services that heterosexuals receive such as marriage.

    Now, do you feel silly.
    Well then, if left alone, the problem takes care of itself.

    Now, what does all this have to do with a silly B actress who decides to do her big announcement for publicity?

  2. #472
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I fully understand that. However, it has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not homosexuality is a mental disorder.

    All the conditions I mentioned involve sexual attraction to other than sexually developed members of the opposite sex. However, the mental health community treats homosexuality different from every other such case. It is the only example of such attraction that is considered normal and not deviant, a mental illness.

    Your argument made it sound like the ability to consent was the only factor that should be considered when classifying such instances as normal or deviant. Ability to consent has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    It is considered normal because people can be happy and functional even if they are gay. That is the evidence which led to homosexuality being removed as a mental illness. For something to be considered a mental illness it needs to cause distress and dysfunction and homosexuality does not.

  3. #473
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It is considered normal because people can be happy and functional even if they are gay. That is the evidence which led to homosexuality being removed as a mental illness. For something to be considered a mental illness it needs to cause distress and dysfunction and homosexuality does not.
    So then why is their suicide rate higher?

  4. #474
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    So then why is their suicide rate higher?
    Well if you're going to focus on **** like that then it's not normal to be Japanese.

  5. #475
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    On the top of the list

    .5) Weakness
    Which, as the good Cap'n left out, is the most widely (although psychologists like to place a number of associated disorders along with them) associated reason for suicide. It's not just gays that kills themselves, it's gays, and heteros, and fat people and ugly people, good looking people, blah blah blah people who have OTHER issues not related to their outer or inner selves.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  6. #476
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Well if you're going to focus on **** like that then it's not normal to be Japanese.
    By definition there is nothing normal about being gay except to someone else that is gay but that doesn't make it normal in the true definition of the word. You seem so focused and supportive of the gay and lesbian lifestyle, are you trying to tell us something? Coming out of the closet? I long thought that might be the case.

  7. #477
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    So then why is their suicide rate higher?
    Societal stigma and bullying. Every minority in the United States has a higher suicide rate but being a minority is not a mental illness.

  8. #478
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    By definition there is nothing normal about being gay except to someone else that is gay but that doesn't make it normal in the true definition of the word. You seem so focused and supportive of the gay and lesbian lifestyle, are you trying to tell us something? Coming out of the closet? I long thought that might be the case.
    You do not get to define what is considered normal to other people. The more you try to control the thoughts of others by telling what they can and cannot consider normal the more apparent your desire for moral tyranny becomes.

  9. #479
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Seriously, watch the speech, it will bring tears to your eyes. So happy and proud of her. You can tell she was very nervous and this meant a lot to her.

    Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay" - CNN.com
    She is dumb. There's no such thing as "gay." "Gay" and "straight" are outdated early 21st century terms.

  10. #480
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    By definition there is nothing normal about being gay except to someone else that is gay but that doesn't make it normal in the true definition of the word. You seem so focused and supportive of the gay and lesbian lifestyle, are you trying to tell us something? Coming out of the closet? I long thought that might be the case.
    I'm married to a Beautiful Japanese girl who I have a son with.

    Because I stand up for individual liberty you attack me.

    You're a fraud, a fake, you're not a Small Government Conservative, you're a Republican Stooge only.

    Whatever they so goes for you including discrimination against gays.

Page 48 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •