Page 37 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 1330

Thread: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

  1. #361
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    It means they were set free, NOT ALL, but those that weren't supportive of the North. It didn't make slavery illegal, the 13th Amendment did. you are a perfect example of what is wrong with liberals, you simply cannot admit when you are wrong. Did the Emancipation Proclamation outlaw Slavery? A simple yes or know will suffice

    Yes, it did outlaw slavery in the rebellious states.

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    I'm a man that likes to have sex with woman - does anyone care to shed a tear over that?

    Probably not which makes this thread biased.

  3. #363
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    really? the top tax rate from 1954 to 1963 was 91 percent.

    some of the cars were cooler, but that's about it.
    On the 1%ers. Taking the burden off the rest resulting in the growth of the middle class, which is now in decline.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #364
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    "Coming out" is so common I don't see how this is news worthy.

  5. #365
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    The trendiness of "coming out" as gay will wear off soon enough, and will be replaced by coming out as bisexual soon enough. There is little actors will not do to gain publicity and seeking shock-value is definitely one way of doing so. Nothing is more despicable to actors than no publicity at all. This did not take courage for her to do. Rather, her agent and her agreed it was a beneficial career move putting her in the spotlight, which it did. It is very clear Hollywood does not discriminate against gays.

  6. #366
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    I hope that the day when gay rights will be recognized all over the world instead of just in the US will come. In South Korea, the first celebrity to have come out was first burned at the stake, then is now seen as a laughingstock, an Internet meme. The first gay marriage in South Korea was only last year, and it rained with fire and hell from those who condemned it.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  7. #367
    Wandering...
    Koros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,953

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I'm a man that likes to have sex with woman - does anyone care to shed a tear over that?

    Probably not which makes this thread biased.
    I'll tell you what, when being straight becomes a minority, I will shed a tear for you. When people assume that everyone in the world is gay by default and straight people are forced to come out to family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, and the entire world JUST to be able to do some of the simple things that straight people take for granted (i.e. bringing a S.O. to a company Christmas party), then and only then will your statement not sound incredibly stupid.
    “The Bible has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies.” ― Mark Twain

  8. #368
    Wandering...
    Koros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,953

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The trendiness of "coming out" as gay will wear off soon enough, and will be replaced by coming out as bisexual soon enough. There is little actors will not do to gain publicity and seeking shock-value is definitely one way of doing so. Nothing is more despicable to actors than no publicity at all. This did not take courage for her to do. Rather, her agent and her agreed it was a beneficial career move putting her in the spotlight, which it did. It is very clear Hollywood does not discriminate against gays.
    And you know this for a fact, how? Were you in the room with them? Or, as I suspect, is this just your own personal opinion masquerading as fact?
    “The Bible has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies.” ― Mark Twain

  9. #369
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Koros View Post
    I'll tell you what, when being straight becomes a minority, I will shed a tear for you. When people assume that everyone in the world is gay by default and straight people are forced to come out to family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, and the entire world JUST to be able to do some of the simple things that straight people take for granted (i.e. bringing a S.O. to a company Christmas party), then and only then will your statement not sound incredibly stupid.
    See, thats the problem - you think being a "minority" is so damn special - yet you will be the first one to sit back and claim they're just like anyone else....Obviously they're NOT when you're crying over them and giving them special treatment as if they have some disabling disease or something.

    If you want minorities to be treated like everyone else then treat them like everyone else instead of pandering to them - as if they have some sort of disability.

    You ever bother to think for a second that there are plenty of minorities and gay people in this world who view their differences and nothing at all? People who don't use their differences as a stepping stone for a potential discrimination lawsuit or don't even acknowledge them at all. And just view themselves as normal people trying to get by just like anyone else in this world.
    Last edited by Mr.Nick; 02-16-14 at 10:50 PM.

  10. #370
    Wandering...
    Koros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,953

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    See, thats the problem - you think being a "minority" is so damn special - yet you will be the first one to sit back and claim they're just like anyone else....Obviously they're NOT when you're crying over them and giving them special treatment as if they have some disabling disease or something.

    If you want minorities to be treated like everyone else then treat them like everyone else instead of pandering to them - as if they have some sort of disability.
    Where did I cry over anyone, or say that anyone deserves special treatment? Projecting a bit, are you?

    There is NO bias in acknowledging when a gay person comes out but not caring when a straight person admits that they are straight. The reason for that is that the former requires a conscious decision to tell others because the latter is an assumption made about everyone. Did you, as a straight men, ever have a time in your life when everyone around you just ASSUMED you were gay?

    Now, should people care who is gay or who isn't? No, they shouldn't. But, the fact remains that, in our society, being a member of a minority comes with certain challenges to be overcome. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. And being gay comes with the undeniable fact that people assume you are not gay until you tell them otherwise. In some ways, being gay is harder than being a racial minority. When a child is born, the world knows the child's race. But, regardless of race, there is an assumption of heterosexuality placed upon that child until they, if they ever decide to, come out and tell the world how wrong those assumptions are.

    Seriously, how do you not get this?
    “The Bible has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies.” ― Mark Twain

Page 37 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •