Page 20 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1330

Thread: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Another example of Tigger being incapable of dealing with anything that causes his cognitive dissonance to flair up.
    Not incapable just unwilling. Of course it would require a moral lobotomy to make me capable, but it could be done.

  2. #192
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,373

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Not incapable just unwilling. Of course it would require a moral lobotomy to make me capable, but it could be done.
    Claims to only care about himself, thinks beating women (and treating them like livestock) is proper, wants the death penalty for gays...

    I don't see any morals to labotomize.

  3. #193
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I don't think that is a logical analogy. No one comes out as straight, it is assumed.
    I can't speak for CC, but I interpreted his point as being that "coming out" and/or being gay is commonplace enough in today's western society as to be figuratively similar.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #194
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    TO ME, it's equivalent. I see someone saying that they are gay as being equivalent to someone saying that they are straight. I understand that not many see it similarly.
    You're opinion of that person may not change, but it isn't really equivalent. Someone coming out as gay is usually new information, but in most situations most people, especially straight people, assume others are straight.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #195
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I can't speak for CC, but I interpreted his point as being that "coming out" and/or being gay is commonplace enough in today's western society as to be figuratively similar.
    Not really. Kid's don't get thrown out of houses for coming out as straight. Comments similar to the hateful ones in this thread aren't said about straight people due to their sexuality.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #196
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,904

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I pretty much always like your posts, nota, but if you can't see how those "reasons" apply to some conservatives as much as they do to some liberals, then either I've misjudged you or you were having a bad day.
    I always have a "bad day" when I am attacked personally out of nowhere. That's just me.

    As for "if you can't see how those 'reasons' apply to some conservatives as much as they do to some liberals," where have I ever indicated in any post otherwise? In fact, what I quoted from John Hawkins may well be the only comment I have ever made that blanket-generalizes a group. Any group; pick one. Seek, but you won't find.

    I have never said that conservatives can't also be unpleasant people, realize that they can be, and had a specific rhetorical if-the-shoe-fits rationale for posting at that point what I did about liberals.

    You certainly aren’t suggesting that I deserved to be attacked by someone swooping sanctimoniously down to judge me as lacking in compassion and empathy when I said nothing at all about the actor in question and was not part of any bashing or, as she later accuses, “demeaning” others. My benefit-of-the-doubt guess is that you haven’t read the posts that led up to my most recent one.

    I said (Post #77): "I've known people who were openly gay all my life. I will admit that when one of sib's friends came out publicly at 16 (everybody who loved her, including all our parents, already knew) in a particularly splashy way, that was very thrilling. Of course, this was in the late '70's.

    I just don't care. Be who you are and be happy, but I'm really tired of the who's-gay game."

    Onedebate responded with (Post #97): "You're probably tired of it in the same way that some are tired of any other oppressed group fighting for equality, which simply means you do not have any understanding of the world THEY live in and what they fight against so the victories they claim baffle and tire you. You lack context or you would celebrate with them, that is....if you have any compassion or empathy."

    I’d like to think you’re able to separate what is said at face-value from what someone has erroneously—and ridiculously—inferred based on her own biases and projections about “pontifications.” I mean, you realize what onedebate was saying here personally about me, right?

  7. #197
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Who is Ellen Page?
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  8. #198
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Seriously, watch the speech, it will bring tears to your eyes. So happy and proud of her. You can tell she was very nervous and this meant a lot to her.

    Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay" - CNN.com
    Why?

    As in why be proud and happy for her.

    This sort of thing has been going on for decades. I see no reason to even make it a news story. The idea that gay people are frightened and need to hide in the closet out of shame died with the Carter administration.

    Compare miss Page to Melissa Etheridge. Melissa has never denied being a lesbian but never had a dramatic coming out moment either because she did not need one and it is all pretty irrelevant.

    People swear Jodie Foster is a lesbian but she keeps her personal life private and expects her privacy to be respected. Not because she has something to hide but because it is no one else business.

    Making a hero out of someone for this sort of thing is silly. Miss page told the world a personal detail which few people give a damn about. Most likely those people in her life who are important to her knew it anyways.

  9. #199
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    Who is Ellen Page?
    I remember her best as Kitty Pride from one of the X men movie last stand. Apparently she also starred in Juno which I never watched.

  10. #200
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Fortunately, it seems she is more enlightened then that.
    How so? Does she recognize her temptation and chose to overcome it instead of living in that sin?
    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    And I will hope that you get over the fact that people are born straight and people are born gay, and it has nothing to do with any "god".

    Go ahead and pray...the rest of us will do the thinking.
    People are born with a sinful nature, I never claimed that having same sex attractions was a choice by the person. However, how someone lives and what they do with their temptations is their choice.

    I will pray because I care and want to see someone saved from a future of sin, I'm perfectly capable of thinking as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    I had a feeling she was, not that it really matters.



    That sales pitch has gotten old.
    It's not a sales pitch, it's wishing someone well and hoping they avoid something that will destroy them.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    And I pray there's a spot in heaven for the multitude of highly judgmental Christians out there.
    I'm not judging her, I'm not saying I'm better than her. She admitted to having an attraction and temptation to something that is wrong. If someone admitted that they were sexually attracted to children I would pray for them too so that they can overcome that temptation. Same with someone who lusts after the same sex or has an addiction to a substance. I pray because I wish her well and because I don't want to see another person go down a path of enslavement to sin and reject the life that God wants them to live only to have that choice ultimately lead to their destruction.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •