Page 19 of 133 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 1330

Thread: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

  1. #181
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,910

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    And the partisan award goes to...
    With how many times I see here on DP alone conservatives claiming liberals are all brainwashed idiots who root for America to fail and are intentionally keeping minorities poor, the idea that someone would post that hackish article nota puked onto the forum as some sort of "evidence" of liberal perfidy with no cognizance of the irony is laughable to the point of absurdity.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #182
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,825

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    And the partisan award goes to...
    lol thats what i was thinking

    there's no faster way to have a post not taken seriously and completely lose a debate and credibility by lumping people and groups together like that. Posts like that severely lack honesty, integrity, and any rational objective thought. They expose the biased, stereotypical, hypocritical, failed and flawed logic they are based on and reek topical ignorance. It simply exposes a posters true views/colors.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #183
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Personally, when I hear about someone "coming out" nowadays, usually I think two things:

    1) No big deal... to me, it's equivalent to someone coming out as straight.
    2) Somewhat brave in this climate, when even though there is more acceptance of homosexuality, we still see hateful, ignorant, bigotry around, similar to what we see from some in this thread.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #184
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    For pity's sake, it's couldn't care less. At least get this right, would you?

    And look who's "pontificating," missy. I haven't demeaned anyone at all.



    You didn't "misunderstand" my words; you assigned to me words, thoughts, and feelings that I have never expressed and don't hold. And I am not "everybody" either. I have said nothing at all about this actor except that I’m bored with coming out publicly in general. Which I am.

    You truly are clueless if you think that some starlet making a public announcement that she’s gay matters as much as people who are gay being able to work without harassment. Most people don't even think twice about who's straight or gay in the workplace. That's the victory.

    Your not getting this would be funny if only it weren’t so tragic that you flatter yourself that you're some sort of liberal avenger-hero when you swoop down to brand someone as lacking in compassion or empathy when nothing has been said to indicate this at all.

    No, I am not going to “clarify my position.” What I said was plain and simple. I don’t know why you’re projecting, but you are fabricating opinions and feelings for me that I have never expressed. Grow up and read what people actually say rather than what you desire to project.

    From John Hawkins (on why liberals can be such unpleasant people):

    Reason #3: Liberals see people who disagree as evil: Liberals see themselves as part of a Manichean struggle in which they’re trying to create Utopia on earth while they’re being opposed by people who want to do evil for evil’s sake. In other words, liberals are about as complex as your average comic book from the fifties. As Charles Krauthammer has said, “To understand the workings of American politics, you have to understand this fundamental law: Conservatives think liberals are stupid. Liberals think conservatives are evil.”

    When you attribute disagreements with Barack Obama to racism, opposition to gay marriage to homophobia, standing against abortion as hatred of women, and a desire to balance the budget to loathing of the poor, you have a hopelessly simplistic view of the world that makes you utterly impervious to reason. Stupid, you may be able to educate, but evil, you have to defeat -- and liberals are seldom picky about the means or the manners they use while trying to do so.

    Reason #5: Liberalism encourages arrogance: Liberals tend to believe they're brilliant, compassionate, moral, enlightened, perceptive, and courageous, not because of anything they've actually done, but just because they're liberal. When you completely divorce a person's self image from his behavior, it produces terrible results -- like liberals who hurl abuse at conservative women while believing that they're feminists or selfish left-wingers who've never given a dime to charity, but believe themselves to be much more compassionate than people who tithe 10% of their income.
    5 Reasons Liberals Are Such Unpleasant People To Be Around - John Hawkins - Page 1
    I pretty much always like your posts, nota, but if you can't see how those "reasons" apply to some conservatives as much as they do to some liberals, then either I've misjudged you or you were having a bad day.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #185
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,399

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Seriously, watch the speech, it will bring tears to your eyes. So happy and proud of her. You can tell she was very nervous and this meant a lot to her.

    Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay" - CNN.com
    "Tears to your eyes"?
    Of course. That is why she said what she said. And she has practice, I should think. She is an actress, isn't she?

  6. #186
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    For pity's sake, it's couldn't care less. At least get this right, would you?

    And look who's "pontificating," missy. I haven't demeaned anyone at all.



    You didn't "misunderstand" my words; you assigned to me words, thoughts, and feelings that I have never expressed and don't hold. And I am not "everybody" either. I have said nothing at all about this actor except that I’m bored with coming out publicly in general. Which I am.

    You truly are clueless if you think that some starlet making a public announcement that she’s gay matters as much as people who are gay being able to work without harassment. Most people don't even think twice about who's straight or gay in the workplace. That's the victory.

    Your not getting this would be funny if only it weren’t so tragic that you flatter yourself that you're some sort of liberal avenger-hero when you swoop down to brand someone as lacking in compassion or empathy when nothing has been said to indicate this at all.

    No, I am not going to “clarify my position.” What I said was plain and simple. I don’t know why you’re projecting, but you are fabricating opinions and feelings for me that I have never expressed. Grow up and read what people actually say rather than what you desire to project.

    From John Hawkins (on why liberals can be such unpleasant people):

    Reason #3: Liberals see people who disagree as evil: Liberals see themselves as part of a Manichean struggle in which they’re trying to create Utopia on earth while they’re being opposed by people who want to do evil for evil’s sake. In other words, liberals are about as complex as your average comic book from the fifties. As Charles Krauthammer has said, “To understand the workings of American politics, you have to understand this fundamental law: Conservatives think liberals are stupid. Liberals think conservatives are evil.”

    When you attribute disagreements with Barack Obama to racism, opposition to gay marriage to homophobia, standing against abortion as hatred of women, and a desire to balance the budget to loathing of the poor, you have a hopelessly simplistic view of the world that makes you utterly impervious to reason. Stupid, you may be able to educate, but evil, you have to defeat -- and liberals are seldom picky about the means or the manners they use while trying to do so.

    Reason #5: Liberalism encourages arrogance: Liberals tend to believe they're brilliant, compassionate, moral, enlightened, perceptive, and courageous, not because of anything they've actually done, but just because they're liberal. When you completely divorce a person's self image from his behavior, it produces terrible results -- like liberals who hurl abuse at conservative women while believing that they're feminists or selfish left-wingers who've never given a dime to charity, but believe themselves to be much more compassionate than people who tithe 10% of their income.
    5 Reasons Liberals Are Such Unpleasant People To Be Around - John Hawkins - Page 1
    go away
    Last edited by opendebate; 02-16-14 at 05:52 AM.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  7. #187
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Personally, when I hear about someone "coming out" nowadays, usually I think two things:

    1) No big deal... to me, it's equivalent to someone coming out as straight.
    2) Somewhat brave in this climate, when even though there is more acceptance of homosexuality, we still see hateful, ignorant, bigotry around, similar to what we see from some in this thread.
    I don't think that is a logical analogy. No one comes out as straight, it is assumed.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Seriously, watch the speech, it will bring tears to your eyes. So happy and proud of her. You can tell she was very nervous and this meant a lot to her.

    Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay" - CNN.com
    If she is so gay then why did she rape the Crimson Bolt?

    Hmmm...

    Answer that!


  9. #189
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I don't think that is a logical analogy. No one comes out as straight, it is assumed.
    TO ME, it's equivalent. I see someone saying that they are gay as being equivalent to someone saying that they are straight. I understand that not many see it similarly.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #190
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Juno was a beautiful film (and pro life).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •