Page 123 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1330

Thread: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

  1. #1221
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,066

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Moderator's Warning:
    Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]Enough of the personal stuff. Stick to the topic.

  2. #1222
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    translation: you have no facts that support your failed claims
    keep trying to desperately move the goal posts and back pedal and reword things but NOBODY honest and educated falls for it LMAO

    ill stick to facts, laws, rights and case precedents

    remind me what you have again? oh thats right just your OPINION lmao

    sorry there will be no constitutional amendment on this nor is it needed and people that support equal rights are VERY happy right now and laughing at those that don't

    Let us know when you have something FACTUAL that supports you, we'll be waiting
    Facts win again
    You put a lot of faith in circuit courts including the 9th out of San Francisco which has a history of being the most overturned court in the country yet for some reason those justice rulings are supported by people like you but only when they support your point of view.

    You want facts, then start with the Constitution and the history behind it. You have a very poor understanding of the FACT that if it isn't in the Constitution then it is a state responsibility and that is where marriage originated and belongs. Equal protection applies only to issues in the Constitution. Seems like a simple concept that you cannot grasp

  3. #1223
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Hmmm... Sorry CC, but DV is actually correct. He is using the same measure, and it appears although maybe I read you wrong but you seem to be missing his point. In your above scenario, if a study wanted to show that a certain behavior has no adverse or mental effects on the one engaging in the behavior, one would expect that they could accomplish this by avoiding participants that have no expressed or reported mental health issues. I mean, that's just pretty basic logic. In the converse, if one wanted to show the opposite, then the opposite group would contain participants that did in fact express reported mental health effects. The Hooker study was the first of its kind in that it took participants that "self-reported" no adverse effects from homosexuality. All the studies that lead up to her study selected participants from groups that did report adverse effects.
    No, DV is wrong. The study compared two groups... heterosexual and homosexual. Both groups were comprised of people who had no history of mental illness. Now IF homosexuality was a mental illness, when the experts examined the results of the projectives, they should have EASILY been able to pick out the homosexuals, noticing the mental illness, But they could not. This demonstrated that homosexuality was NOT in and of itself a mental illness.


    Well, I think you have it backwards, frankly. Ideally, one would select blindly from the general, administer the questions before controlling for the variables. So as an example, one might approach it this way.

    1. Select 1000 random people (College kids looking for money are a good source)
    2. Administer questions with the purpose of identifying mental issues assign a number to each participant's answers.
    3. Take background information from the participants, identifying the variables of each participant. Age, sex, sexual orientation, etc..
    4. Place similarly situated participants together as control groups and apply the results in a statistical model looking for correlations that are significant.
    I have explained this OVER AND OVER. For the purposes of this study, your scenario above would not work as it would increase the the amount of confounding variables. Hooker's study eliminates ALL confounding variables and leaves just one: are homosexuals inherently mentally ill because of the homosexuality?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #1224
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Courts do not have the authority to overturn a Constitutional Amendment and that is what you are going to force on the SSM crowd. You aren't going to like the outcome. Courts don't agree and it is interesting that you only buy the rulings that support your point of view
    Since there isn't a Constitutional Amendment, courts DO have the authority to overturn unconstitutional laws and decision. And if a Constitutional Amendment process when into effect, your side would be very disapointed with the outcome.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #1225
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No, what you are is civics challenged and have no understanding of the Constitution and our Founders. The Constitution was created to define the role of the Federal Govt. Anything not in the Constitution was delegated to the states. Equal protection applies to items in that Constitution, Marriage isn't there.

    You can point to justices that rule one way and I can point to justifies that rule the other way. The only true solution for this passionate issue is a Constitutional Amendment and advocates of SSM aren't going to like the outcome.
    Actually, as I've told you, I would hope that a Constitutional Amendment process happens (though I doubt it will). If it does, those who are anti-SSM aren't going to like the outcome.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #1226
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,362
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I'd say we're not altogether far from that.
    Sorry, but the "oppression" will be a never ending story.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  7. #1227
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,970

    Re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Sorry, but the "oppression" will be a never ending story.
    Correct, actually:

    "The basic machinery for gut reactions and snap judgments was present in the brains of our distant ancestors, and the same structures are still found in our brains today, primarily in the human subcortex," wrote Amodio in his article, "The Egalitarian Brain." "These relatively simple mechanisms for detecting us vs. them — and for automatically treating 'them' as a threat — are quite helpful for species living in basic societies that do not require cooperation with outside groups."


    But not necessarily:

    Does this mean bias is hardwired into our brains, even though our society has changed? No, according to Amodio. The brain is flexible and can learn to ignore its biased impulses.
    It's far from the first article I've seen that suggests that the potential for racism, or any other form of us vs. them mentality, is actually hardwired into our brains, but those studies consistently show that those aren't our strongest instincts, and can in fact even be "turned off."

    Does this mean bias is hardwired into our brains, even though our society has changed? No, according to Amodio. The brain is flexible and can learn to ignore its biased impulses.
    Are we hardwired to be racist? | Minnesota Public Radio News

    So the bad news is that with regards to jingoism, racism, homophobia, etc., we're all sort of like alcoholics in that there is no cure, per se. The good news is that with the right upbringing, none of us have to actually be bigots at all.

  8. #1228
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, as I've told you, I would hope that a Constitutional Amendment process happens (though I doubt it will). If it does, those who are anti-SSM aren't going to like the outcome.
    Seems that the gay rights advocates aren't so sure as every gay thread gets almost maximum participation. Your opinion noted as is mine. We shall see one of these days. The argument just goes to show how historically challenged these advocates are when it comes to the Constitution and what is in it. Equal protection applies to the Constitution and what is in it, not what isn't/

  9. #1229
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,970

    Re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Equal protection applies to the Constitution and what is in it, not what isn't/
    Oy vey iz mir.

    What equal protection applies to is equal protection of people under the law. If you read anything anybody here posted you'd know that.

  10. #1230
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"[W:1222]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Seems that the gay rights advocates aren't so sure as every gay thread gets almost maximum participation. Your opinion noted as is mine. We shall see one of these days. The argument just goes to show how historically challenged these advocates are when it comes to the Constitution and what is in it. Equal protection applies to the Constitution and what is in it, not what isn't/
    I would recommend reading the 14th amendment. You might find it enlightening.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •