Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 626

Thread: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat[W:600]

  1. #421
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Abstract-
    From 1973 to 2007, private sector union membership in the United States declined from 34 to 8 percent for men and from 16 to 6 percent for women. During this period, inequality in hourly wages increased by over 40 percent. We report a decomposition, relating rising inequality to the union wage distribution’s shrinking weight. We argue that unions helped institutionalize norms of equity, reducing the dispersion of nonunion wages in highly unionized regions and industries. Accounting for unions’ effect on union and nonunion wages suggests that the decline of organized labor explains a fifth to a third of the growth in inequality—an effect comparable to the growing stratification of wages by education. Unions, Norms, and the Rise in U.S. Wage Inequality
    An alternative view is HERE.

    Unions were able to raise wages above competitive levels by capturing economic rents which, to a large extent, no longer exist. See: Why the UAW Lost | RealClearPolitics
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  2. #422
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    To the contrary, Corker is in a very powerful position. Threats/scare tactics he or any politician makes toward people living under them is unethical.
    He is a U.S. Senator. What exactly was he in a position to actually do?
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  3. #423
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    An alternative view is HERE.

    Unions were able to raise wages above competitive levels by capturing economic rents which, to a large extent, no longer exist. See: Why the UAW Lost | RealClearPolitics
    Neoliberalism has contributed to the race to the bottom. I never stated the Walmart model has harmed unions because it has turned our system into the race to the bottom. It's time for a paradigm shift so we don't have to continue this race to the bottom. The German model was a great example of a new model (for US) that is well worth trying here. Even as your article states (and I agree)


    The UAW saw the Chattanooga vote as a chance to emphasize a more collaborative and less confrontational model, embracing the mantra that companies survive only by staying competitive. "With every company that we work with," said UAW President Bob King, "we're concerned about competitiveness." By finding efficiencies, the idea is to "have higher wages and benefits" paid from the fruits of cooperation."

    Read more: Why the UAW Lost | RealClearPolitics
    Follow us: @RCP_Articles on Twitter

  4. #424
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    He is a U.S. Senator. What exactly was he in a position to actually do?
    Act ethically.

  5. #425
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Act ethically.
    OK, you're going to keep using Corker as an excuse. Lame, but what the heck.

    As an aside, there is nothing unethical about expressing one's political opinion, or expressing an opinion about a union election, or even trying to influence a union election, which I doubt that Mr. Corker actually managed to do.
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  6. #426
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Neoliberalism has contributed to the race to the bottom. I never stated the Walmart model has harmed unions because it has turned our system into the race to the bottom. It's time for a paradigm shift so we don't have to continue this race to the bottom. The German model was a great example of a new model (for US) that is well worth trying here. Even as your article states (and I agree)


    The UAW saw the Chattanooga vote as a chance to emphasize a more collaborative and less confrontational model, embracing the mantra that companies survive only by staying competitive. "With every company that we work with," said UAW President Bob King, "we're concerned about competitiveness." By finding efficiencies, the idea is to "have higher wages and benefits" paid from the fruits of cooperation."

    Read more: Why the UAW Lost | RealClearPolitics
    Follow us: @RCP_Articles on Twitter
    It sounds as though you oppose competition. That's where the rents went, they were competed away.

    What is "neoliberalism"?
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  7. #427
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    OK, you're going to keep using Corker as an excuse. Lame, but what the heck.

    As an aside, there is nothing unethical about expressing one's political opinion, or expressing an opinion about a union election, or even trying to influence a union election, which I doubt that Mr. Corker actually managed to do.
    Officials that are leaders should not engage in lying and smear/fear tactics. If you think that is fine, that is on you. Basically, that is giving our leaders a pass to act unethically due to ideology rather than acting honestly due to integrity.

  8. #428
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    It sounds as though you oppose competition. That's where the rents went, they were competed away.

    What is "neoliberalism"?
    What? Are you going to make stuff up now?

    To answer your question: http://people.umass.edu/dmkotz/Glob_and_NL_02.pdf
    There are many research papers on the subject and its world wide effect on economies and people.

  9. #429
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    The point is the people sited the number one reason they voted no is because of the smear fear campaign. Nothing ethical about it.
    Why do you think you know better than the employees that work there? THEY get to decide if they want a union, and THEY decided no. So here's where you butt out.

    As it turns out, VW treats its employees well, its a conservative part of the state, and this move will likely keep production at the plant instead of sending to mexico.

    So stop crying.

  10. #430
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Why do you think you know better than the employees that work there? THEY get to decide if they want a union, and THEY decided no. So here's where you butt out.

    As it turns out, VW treats its employees well, its a conservative part of the state, and this move will likely keep production at the plant instead of sending to mexico.

    So stop crying.
    I'm not crying. I'm merely pointing out that part of the workers' decision was based on the smear/fear campaign of the Repub politicians in TN and how unethical such a tactic is toward the citizens of that state.

Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •