Page 42 of 63 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 626

Thread: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat[W:600]

  1. #411
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    I'm not full of it. You are full of it. The agreement was being used against the company as leverage.
    Why is it so hard to admit that private sector unions simply don't have that much to offer nowadays?
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  2. #412
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    Sunspot activity could have influenced the election.

    This obsession with Corker is so telling. It is the lamest of lame excuses. Corker is in no position to either reward or credibly threaten V.W. All this whining about Corker is B.S.
    No, another poster already sited the number one reason reason why the workers voted no. It had to do with the fear and smear campaign not sunspot.

  3. #413
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    Did the plant workers have any reason to believe that unionizing would result in higher wages? Or in lost jobs?
    Feel free to site it.

  4. #414
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    The point is the people sited the number one reason they voted no is because of the smear fear campaign. Nothing ethical about it.
    Yes, you keep citing that as the number one reason, and it's a ridiculous claim. Constant repetition doesn't improve it. The truth is that the UAW had little, if anything, to offer the workers. This whole episode was all about the union and its flailing attempts to maintain its relevance post-Detroit.
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  5. #415
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    Why is it so hard to admit that private sector unions simply don't have that much to offer nowadays?
    Part of the reason wages are down so low in this country is because the loss of unions. In the past, even if a company did not unionize, it would keep wages up around the area because that was a way to keep unions at bay. Now they have no competition nor reason to keep wages up in this country. The new race it to the bottom.

  6. #416
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    Yes, you keep citing that as the number one reason, and it's a ridiculous claim. Constant repetition doesn't improve it. The truth is that the UAW had little, if anything, to offer the workers. This whole episode was all about the union and its flailing attempts to maintain its relevance post-Detroit.
    His claim was not ridiculous. You just don't like that because it doesn't fit into your little preconceived notions.

  7. #417
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Part of the reason wages are down so low in this country is because the loss of unions. In the past, even if a company did not unionize, it would keep wages up around the area because that was a way to keep unions at bay. Now they have no competition nor reason to keep wages up in this country. The new race it to the bottom.
    What's the evidence to support this claim? Why should we believe that causality worked as you suggest? [Hint: No reason.]
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  8. #418
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    His claim was not ridiculous. You just don't like that because it doesn't fit into your little preconceived notions.
    His claim was ridiculous and your belief to the contrary doesn't make it less ridiculous. There is NO evidence to back it up. There is NO reason to believe the plant workers cared about Corker's opinion, much less be swayed by it. Corker was in no position to deliver anything.
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  9. #419
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    What's the evidence to support this claim? Why should we believe that causality worked as you suggest? [Hint: No reason.]
    Abstract-
    From 1973 to 2007, private sector union membership in the United States declined from 34 to 8 percent for men and from 16 to 6 percent for women. During this period, inequality in hourly wages increased by over 40 percent. We report a decomposition, relating rising inequality to the union wage distribution’s shrinking weight. We argue that unions helped institutionalize norms of equity, reducing the dispersion of nonunion wages in highly unionized regions and industries. Accounting for unions’ effect on union and nonunion wages suggests that the decline of organized labor explains a fifth to a third of the growth in inequality—an effect comparable to the growing stratification of wages by education. Unions, Norms, and the Rise in U.S. Wage Inequality

  10. #420
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    His claim was ridiculous and your belief to the contrary doesn't make it less ridiculous. There is NO evidence to back it up. There is NO reason to believe the plant workers cared about Corker's opinion, much less be swayed by it. Corker was in no position to deliver anything.
    To the contrary, Corker is in a very powerful position. Threats/scare tactics he or any politician makes toward people living under them is unethical.

Page 42 of 63 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •