Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 626

Thread: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat[W:600]

  1. #361
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,876
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Still doesn't make sense because the company still wants to have relations with the union. If they didn't want to, they could call it a day after the vote. The Germans have a very different relationship with unions than the US. They are not suddenly going to turn anti union because Norquist said the Dems will take their guns away.
    They moved to a right to work state specifically to secure non-union flexibility. Their position in Germany requires that they adopt an overtly pro-union posture in TN. That does not in any way mean that is their true preference. I think Corker knows them better than you do.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #362
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    They moved to a right to work state specifically to secure non-union flexibility. Their position in Germany requires that they adopt an overtly pro-union posture in TN. That does not in any way mean that is their true preference. I think Corker knows them better than you do.
    More likely they moved to TN because they offered them money. That good old "free market" handout that the Republicans claim to be against.

  3. #363
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Oh and here's my proof they offered them money to relocate, "VW received $577 million in tax breaks and other incentives to locate in Chattanooga".

  4. #364
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,876
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    More likely they moved to TN because they offered them money. That good old "free market" handout that the Republicans claim to be against.
    It's an investment in the TN tax base. The TN plant expansion will be announced in a month to six weeks. VW will announce they would have welcomed the UAW to help, but they have to proceed alone.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #365
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    It's an investment in the TN tax base. The TN plant expansion will be announced in a month to six weeks. VW will announce they would have welcomed the UAW to help, but they have to proceed alone.
    Um, no. In my book giving money with strings attached is called a bribe.

    bribe
    brīb/
    verb
    1.
    persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.

  6. #366
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,876
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Um, no. In my book giving money with strings attached is called a bribe.

    bribe
    brīb/
    verb
    1.
    persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.
    Again, good for you. You're entitled to your opinion.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #367
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,704

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Um, no. In my book giving money with strings attached is called a bribe.

    bribe
    brīb/
    verb
    1.
    persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.
    there is nothing illegal or dishonest about offering incentives for companies to move into an area. so no it wouldn't be a bride and cities and states do it all the time in order to get businesses to move in.

    why? because the amount of tax revenue that they will generate off the jobs usually exceeds the initial investment. not to mention people are happy with new work coming into the area.

  8. #368
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,351

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Hi Polgara, I'm going to have disagree. I believe the motive has to do with Corker being coached by the lobby that feeds him (Norquist and friends) because they are very anti labor.
    Only one problem with that...he doesn't speak for VW, and as far as I know, neither does Norquist and friends. Their money isn't going to pay for any expansion VW may have in mind. I have to stand by my belief that he may have spoken out of turn on privileged information, but we don't know that. That's a hazard in business I am very familiar with, since that information was undoubtedly very interesting to their competitors! Of that I have no doubt!

  9. #369
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    there is nothing illegal or dishonest about offering incentives for companies to move into an area. so no it wouldn't be a bride and cities and states do it all the time in order to get businesses to move in.

    why? because the amount of tax revenue that they will generate off the jobs usually exceeds the initial investment. not to mention people are happy with new work coming into the area.
    The key part is with strings attached. That is a bribe.

  10. #370
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Tennessee Volkswagen plant votes against union in UAW defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Only one problem with that...he doesn't speak for VW, and as far as I know, neither does Norquist and friends. Their money isn't going to pay for any expansion VW may have in mind. I have to stand by my belief that he may have spoken out of turn on privileged information, but we don't know that. That's a hazard in business I am very familiar with, since that information was undoubtedly very interesting to their competitors! Of that I have no doubt!
    He doesn't have to speak for VW to lie about them. His motive was to influence the people who were getting ready to vote to think it would be best not to vote for the union which is unethical.

Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •