Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 444

Thread: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

  1. #61
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How many of us were actually thinking about politics twenty-five years ago?
    I was. If you are above, say, 40, there is a good chance you where thinking about politics to some extent.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Maybe WE weren't, but others were.
    I was six, so marriage laws wasn't exactly on my radar of things to think about. Anyway, my view has been to get government out of marriage long before this issue ever became popular. The civil union thing people are pushing here however is more than a little transparent. I don't really like people pretending to be on my side when they're not. I understand they think it works to their favor, but still, they need to **** off.

  3. #63
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    The "existing" definition of marriage has changed quite a bit in the last two hundred years alone. And that isn't even considering gay marriage.
    The ages of when one can marry has changed but it was still between two people and requires them to be different genders.


    Its not expanding anything. And yes, the courts should always protect peoples Rights. Also striking down law is not legislation. Legislation is making law. Not striking down law. Unless of course you consider striking down law as a form of legislation.[/QUOTE]

    What concerns me is that the Courts are deciding to make the definition of marriage to include between two people of the same gender. There is nothing in the Constitution that supports the Courts view that this under equal protection. If the Court can decide to mandate a change here outside of the Constitution then they can also decide to override Rights on similar reasoning.

    In which case you have about 200 years of the court legislating things that protected your rights. Guess we should just strike down all the courts rulings that struck down some law or other that protected your rights over the last 200 years huh?
    That is not my point.

    Which would bring back all those laws that limited free speech, protected voting rights of minority groups, and all the other Rights that the Legislative Branch has continueally tried to curtail.
    I'm concered on what actions the Courts could make that overried our Rights.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I was six, so marriage laws wasn't exactly on my radar of things to think about.
    There were plenty of people interested in politics LONG before you or I were born. I'd like to see statistics on how often getting government out of marriage came up and how many supported that... compared to now. I'd be interested in seeing the difference.

    Anyway, my view has been to get government out of marriage long before this issue ever became popular.
    You may be in the rare minority, which I did mention.

    The civil union thing people are pushing here however is more than a little transparent. I don't really like people pretending to be on my side when they're not. I understand they think it works to their favor, but still, they need to **** off.
    I can agree with this. This is not an issue with which one can successfully walk in the middle of the road.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #65
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Just to be clear and comment on a pet leave...there is no orientation test for marriage, nor is it asked about.
    That's because no one thought that such a thing would be necessary.


    Gay people can get married in all states.[/QUOTE]

    So can bisexuals and asexuals.

    What is at issue and being questioned is whether same sex couples can be married. This is actually important as it effects the legal arguments.
    For the time being it should be a State issue and allow this to be debated how and to what extent this should go. Some States will decide to allow it and some will not.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  6. #66
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post

    What concerns me is that the Courts are deciding to make the definition of marriage to include between two people of the same gender. There is nothing in the Constitution that supports the Courts view that this under equal protection. If the Court can decide to mandate a change here outside of the Constitution then they can also decide to override Rights on similar reasoning.



    That is not my point.



    I'm concered on what actions the Courts could make that overried our Rights.
    The courts ate not defining marriage. That is a common misunderstanding. The courts are saying that certain bans on marriage are not legal under the constitution. That is the proper role of the courts.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #67
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    That's because no one thought that such a thing would be necessary.
    More because it is irrelevant and impossible to implement.

    So can bisexuals and asexuals
    .

    True but kinda pointless to say. No one is mistakenly referring to bisexual or asexual marriage.

    For the time being it should be a State issue and allow this to be debated how and to what extent this should go. Some States will decide to allow it and some will not.
    It is a state issue. Just like all state issues, the individual states can regulate them as they choose within the boundary of the constitution. What the courts are ruling on is the constitutionality of SSM bans.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #68
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,809

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    1.)That's because no one thought that such a thing would be necessary.


    1.)Gay people can get married in all states. So can bisexuals and asexuals.

    2.)For the time being it should be a State issue and allow this to be debated how and to what extent this should go. Some States will decide to allow it and some will not.
    1.) yeah just like blacks could drink out of fountains in all states too, sorry thats thats a intellectually dishonest and failed argument

    2.) sorry equal and civil rights arent state issues
    Last edited by AGENT J; 02-14-14 at 04:33 AM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #69
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,574

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Human nature is evil

    Just because something appears in nature doesn't mean it should be approved of or used in defense of it being "normal" or "moral" or even "acceptable." As far as biology and sex goes, homosexuality is dysfunctional and "unnatural" in how those sex organs are being used. But that's besides the point.

    I sincerely hope this gets struck down. It is a grave injustice to the voters of VA to have their attorney general refuse to defend state laws and the state constitution in court and also have their ability to uphold traditional marriage, which has been the defacto marriage position for many many years, essentially removed largely due to a progressive judicial opinion and changes in public opinion. I'm happy for the gays in VA that may be able to get married and I support SSM, but not through this type of judicial tyranny and lack of legal representation for those on the other side. Equal rights is not imposing a new definition of marriage upon every state due to new social changes and acceptances of certain sex practices or sexual relationships. Equal rights is respecting the rights of voters who disagree and allowing them to govern as well. The 14th amendment should not extend to sexuality or personal sex choices/relationships unless amended.
    Once again you're making the argument that rights should be voted on, and not given equally. We happen to live in a country that is supposed to respect the rights of even the minorities, and even the 95% can't take the rights away from the 5%.

    I've asked you this before and you went out of your way to ignore it, most likely because it is extremely uncomfortable to your position. If 51% of the country wanted to remove rights from African Americans, would you support it because it's democracy? Or do you believe that maybe all US citizens should be treated equally under the law?

    A majority does not have the right to vote away rights of a minority. I don't know what kind of society you thought you were living in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    That's because no one thought that such a thing would be necessary.


    Gay people can get married in all states.

    So can bisexuals and asexuals.



    For the time being it should be a State issue and allow this to be debated how and to what extent this should go. Some States will decide to allow it and some will not.
    I find it curious that you claim to be a libertarian yet believe that states should vote on who gets rights and who doesn't. Most libertarians I know, by definition, support absolute rights even for the minorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    The ages of when one can marry has changed but it was still between two people and requires them to be different genders.
    Marriage also use to be about property. Man getting married to a woman who was nothing more than property. He even paid for for in the form of a dowery. He could even do whatever he wanted with her. And claim to her fathers lands if she happened to be an only child. While she got nothing. It was also forbidden between two differing races. IE Only between whites or blacks but never whites and blacks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    What concerns me is that the Courts are deciding to make the definition of marriage to include between two people of the same gender. There is nothing in the Constitution that supports the Courts view that this under equal protection. If the Court can decide to mandate a change here outside of the Constitution then they can also decide to override Rights on similar reasoning.
    1: Why should it concern you? How do two males or two females getting married affect you? Whether they are neighbors or a couple that live on the other side of the continent.

    2: I'm quite sure someone said the same thing when the courts were trying to "expand" marriage into meaning whites and blacks can marry each other.

    3: Why wouldn't it be under the equal protection clause? Marriage IS a right according to many SCOTUS judges...even before it was even acceptable for gays to be out of the closet, much less vying for marriage equality. If you are going to allow two people to be married then what difference does their gender make? Marriage is not about status anymore. Its not about having kids otherwise all those sterile couples would not be allowed to marry....much less the ones that can have kids but don't want them. Marriage now a days is about nothing more than love, tax breaks, and being able to have a say in the medical decisions of a loved one and inheritance rights. What valid reason does the State have to deny marriage between two men or two women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    That is not my point.
    It may not have been your point. But it is the logical conclusion to what you said. If you truely believe that the courts striking down this law is a legislative step and that the courts should not be taking legislative actions then you have to logically apply that to EVERTHING. Otherwise you are just being hypocritical, biased, and prejudicial.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    I'm concered on what actions the Courts could make that overried our Rights.
    As well you should. Everyone should. But striking down a law banning same sex marriage is not over riding anyones rights. It takes nothing from you or anyone else. It instead gives rights. Indeed when a court strikes down ANY law that is giving freedom to the people. Its when they uphold laws that they start to over ride our Rights. Of course you may want to say that by them striking down this law...which people voted on...is taking away peoples Right to vote. Well, you would be wrong in that assessment. For the simple fact that people cannot vote away other peoples Rights. Was it taking away peoples Right to vote when the ruling for Loving vs Virginia came in? The people voted on the law that was struck down in that ruling also. The answer of course is No. If it wasn't then...well....its not now.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •