Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 444

Thread: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

  1. #211
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    There is a difference though.

    In the Prop 8 case the State actors (Governor and AG) defended to measure in District Court, once the case was lost they decided not to appeal. The proponents then took up the appeal and filed with the 9th Circuit. The question was placed before the California Supreme Court as to weather the supporters of the law had standing to defend it and that question was put to the CSC (IIRC) by the SCOTUS. The CSC said "Yes", however the SCOTUS ignored that and ruled instead they did not, vacated the ruling of the 9th Circuit but allowed the District Courts ruling to remain in place. That allowed them to "punt" on the fundamental question and craft a ruling that (a) allowed SSCM to resume, but (b) only applied to California.

    In this case the AG didn't defend the law (and actually briefed against it) prior to the District Court ruling and other actors were allowed to defend this law. In this case a County Clerk from Prince Georges County (being represented by the Alliance Defending Freedom**) who (as a State Actor) does (and probably will) have standing all the way through to the SCOTUS.





    ** I personally think it's kind of ironic that a group calling itself the "Alliance Defending Freedom" is fighting against freedom, but that is another thread.


    >>>>
    I thought the AG defended it, but will not appeal. Thanks for the correction. That does change things.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  2. #212
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes it was. It was against tradition, against the will of the people, changing the definition of marriage, against nature, against God, unnatural. These aren't my words, these are the words of people who were defending interracial marriage bans.
    The difference sis that only two of those things were correct. There have been plenty of societies which have allowed interracial marriage, not so with gay marriage.

  3. #213
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,360

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If I feel the presence of the government's foot on the back of my neck, it ain't because of marriage.
    Marriage is just one of the government intrusions into our private lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #214
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Marriage is just one of the government intrusions into our private lives.
    If you say so. Can't say I'm feeling that myself.

  5. #215
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,360

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If you say so. Can't say I'm feeling that myself.
    Of course not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #216
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Of course not.
    Right.

  7. #217
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Acceptable and moral are subjective and therefore irrelevant..
    How can one make this statement? Most of our progress in the realm of social law has come through a public discussion of what should be considered moral and commonly accepted in modern societies. It's simple enough to make the argument for why SSM falls into these categories and certainly preferable to dismissing the process altogether.

  8. #218
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Marriage is just one of the government intrusions into our private lives.
    So you chose not to be married?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #219
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    The difference sis that only two of those things were correct. There have been plenty of societies which have allowed interracial marriage, not so with gay marriage.
    Serious question:

    So what?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #220
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Marriage is just one of the government intrusions into our private lives.
    Maybe you could explain the nature of this intrusion? This is never made very clear.

Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •