Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 444

Thread: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

  1. #161
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    There have already been state laws in place in which every gay progressive and their other go screaming 14th Amendment violation...

    Let me ask you this - what DOESN'T the 14th Amendment forbid and what does it allow?
    It forbids restrictions within laws that treat people differently without proper justification of such restrictions furthering a legitimate state interest, at the least. It forbids laws that treat people differently in general without proper justification of such laws furthering a legitimate state interest. It allows for restrictions or laws that are justified as furthering some sort of legitimate state interest. Not that hard to figure out really.

    The 14th is what prevents states from saying that men cannot have a driver's license, or white people cannot own cars, or Christians cannot be teachers, and it allows for age restrictions on contracts or even certain restrictions on state regulated/controlled licenses/permits based on ability, rather than saying that everyone can have one.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 02-14-14 at 07:28 PM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #162
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,824

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Whoah.
    No ****ing kidding. Judges are traitors. Well, except when they agree with Nick.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Whoah.
    Who what?

    Manipulating our Constitution is not treason?

  4. #164
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,824

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Who what?

    Manipulating our Constitution is not treason?
    Not who. Whoah. An expression of surprise. (or sometimes indicating a desire to slow down or back up, but I suspect he meant the first thing)

    And no, overturning an unconstitutional law is not treason.

    So, do you want to discuss the limitations on the 14th? Because I can give you the short-version of why it's not actually an unlimited authority.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #165
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,085

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    your above is a strawman.
    a clear distortion of the argument.

    if you support gay marriage but not polygamy then you are being just as a bigot as people that think marriage is between 1 man and 1 women.
    which is the next step and the next argument in courts.

    they are going to use the same arguments as gay couples are using.

    i will leave the whole nambla thing out of it since that will fail no matter what. polygamists on the other hand have an argument to make and it is just as strong as gays.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------


    zyphlin
    actually it is causing a lot of changes. gay couples have kids. who is the father or mother of the child and who is the one that supplies the child support etc...
    all of these are causing a lot of issues. who pay the alimony in the marriage is the marriage fails.

    in any event yes there is in fact a lot of laws that have to be changed.
    um if we cant come up with reasons why we should ban polygamy what's the problem with it?

    if we can how is a polygamist argument just as strong?

    and if you know marriage to a child will never be aloud because of simple reasoning why did you present people calling for marriage to kids as a cause not to allow gay marriage?

    why say people who don't support child marriage are hypocrites?

    you would have 2 fathers or 2 mothers and don't the courts decide how parents need to support there children in cases of divorce any way

    what happens if a hetero couple adopts a child then splits?

  6. #166
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    What was wrong??

    MMM since when does one bitch dictate outcome, not to mention the EVIL 14th Amendment.

    This is not some sort of ****ing theocracy or monarchy but the courts have circumvented those ideas and created their own.

    All judges belong in prison on charges of treason and conspiracy to commit treason.
    Well, we now know that not only do you know not a single thing about this case, nor constitutional law, nor how the judicial system in this country works.

    Hint: the judge who made the ruling issued a stay on it until it is ruled on by the appeal court. That alone makes everything in your post painfully ignorant.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #167
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,824

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    One of these many court cases will be the case that finally gets through to SCOTUS and is used to overturn same-sex marriage bans nationwide. I can't decide which would be more delicious: Utah or Virginia.

    Utah has the mormon effect and all the money they've hurled into the deal, even shoving their efforts into other states. Virginia has the historical connotations with Loving v. Virginia.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #168
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,824

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Well, we now know that not only do you know not a single thing about this case, nor constitutional law, nor how the judicial system in this country works.

    Hint: the judge who made the ruling issued a stay on it until it is ruled on by the appeal court. That alone makes everything in your post painfully ignorant.
    Here's something I haven't found:

    Who the **** is appealing this? Didn't VA drop defense of the case?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #169
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Here's something I haven't found:

    Who the **** is appealing this? Didn't VA drop defense of the case?
    The clerks that issue marriage licenses in some VA counties (I can't really see how they would have any standing on this, it is their job and it in no way violates their rights to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #170
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,824

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The clerks that issue marriage licenses in some VA counties (I can't really see how they would have any standing on this, it is their job and it in no way violates their rights to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples).
    Ahh.

    Assholes. Hey, maybe I can get a job at the IRS and say it violates my religious freedom to issue tax-exempt status to Jews or Mormons or Hindus.

    It would be irony of the most amazing kind if those employees were the ones that got this case to SCOTUS and thereby got same-sex marriage bans overturned nationwide, but I suspect this case would be punted on lack of standing just like Prop 8.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •