Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 444

Thread: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

  1. #141
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    1.)Are you at all worried that this might accelerate a battle at the Supreme Court before the Court is ready to give such a sweeping ruling? In that event you'd calcify existing SSM bans forcing you to fight them one by one.
    honestly, no. they will never rule in a way that bans SSM at worse they punt and the federal courts right under them continue to knock it down.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #142
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    your above is a strawman.
    a clear distortion of the argument.
    Not a straw man, because it wasn't actually suggesting this was your belief.
    if you support gay marriage but not polygamy then you are being just as a bigot as people that think marriage is between 1 man and 1 women.
    which is the next step and the next argument in courts.
    How come this isn't true of supporting heterosexual marriage? Why is it ok to support heterosexual marriage and not homosexual marriage, but it's not ok for me to support homosexual marriage and be against child marriage? I've already given you reason that child marriage should be illegal, and it wasn't my personal moral disapproval. You haven't given a reason why homosexual marriage should be illegal.

    they are going to use the same arguments as gay couples are using.
    You are using the same arguments that people used against interracial marriage.

    i will leave the whole nambla thing out of it since that will fail no matter what. polygamists on the other hand have an argument to make and it is just as strong as gays.
    Polygamists actually do have a strong argument to make. I don't personally approve of polygamy, but I can acknowledge that that disapproval alone is not grounds to make it illegal. If you can demonstrate some sort of harm caused by either same-sex marriage or polygamy, I would like to hear it. Might even change my mind on same-sex marriage.
    Last edited by Deuce; 02-14-14 at 06:56 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #143
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    When a ballot initiative is put on a ballot for direct democracy that initiative becomes direct democracy..

    Furthermore appointing judges has absolutely NOTHING to do with "democratic republic" er electing officials to represent the people.

    You're just happy with tyranny because you enjoy the outcome and that is just downright disgusting in my book.
    Tyranny is letting 57% of voters take away rights from someone. Tyranny is letting 57% of voters violate the constitution.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #144
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    First off **** the Fourteenth Amendment -
    Libertarian.txt
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,108

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    What about people who want to marry children? Why should pedophiles be treated as second class Citizens? Why do want pedophiles to die while on hold with 911?
    not sure I want any 1 ignored when they call 911 but the reason you cant get marriage to kids is its bad for the kids

    which is why you don't like it

    but gay marriage is not bad for any 1 just because 2 people are the same gender and you don't like it

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Tyranny is letting 57% of voters take away rights from someone. Tyranny is letting 57% of voters violate the constitution.
    Violate WHAT CONSTITUTION?

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Libertarian.txt
    The 14th Amendment is **** and opens the doors to basically government endorsed anarchy. The 14th Amendment has no limitations as all Amendments do.

  8. #148
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,108

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Oh why do you bigots want to stand in the way of LOVE and EQUAL RIGHTS? How un-American. Just because your personal moral beliefs are against pedophilia, doesn't mean you have a right to force everyone else to adhere to your rules. Keep your religion out of other people's bedrooms. Why are you such a xenophobe?

    (Sarcasm, in case the degenerate state of our culture makes it unclear)
    cause that's not equal rights for the kids

  9. #149
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    First off **** the Fourteenth Amendment - It could justify free apple pie and ribs everyday all day to everyone in the US if a judge so ordered...

    Secondly a ballot initiative needs to be CHALLENGED, and until a ruling has been made that law is currant law. The problem is that those special interest groups who challenge these ballot initiatives generally have swagger and are high powered attorneys which usually come from the anarchistic ACLU and they know what judge to put the case or issue in front of - a judge what will rule in their favor.

    The judicial system is just as corrupt as politics - if not more.

    The Fourteenth Amendment needs to be abolished considering it justifies just about anything and everything.
    I will ask again: have you read the ruling and if so what part did you feel was wrong?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #150
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Gotcha. That's my take on it as well



    Oh, I know that as well...but SCOTUS has written that gender discrimination is of a middle teir.

    My comments regarding SCOTUS not ruling yet was on whether or not sexual orientation would be "middle teir".

    I think it's reasoanble to go "SCOTUS has ruled in the past that gender discrimination is middle teir....I can make an argument this is gender discrimination....thus it falls under middle teir".

    I think it's a lot more questionable to go "SCOTUS has never ruled that sexual orientation is middle teir...but I think it is...and I think this is sexual orientation discrimination...thus it falls under middle teir."

    I was trying to figure out which of those two thought processes you were going with. It appears its the first one. Which I particularly agree with, and explains why you used "important".

    So thanks for clarifying
    Right. And my not-so-clear statement there is that some recent cases have hinted at heightened scrutiny for sexual orientation. In Windsor the circuit court said intermediate scrutiny should apply. SCOTUS affirmed the case, but they didn't explicitly say they applied intermediate scrutiny.

    edit: and a quick wiki check says that the 9th circuit also said that in a later case, based on SCOTUS applying heightened scrutiny in Windsor.
    When the Supreme Court has refrained from identifying its method of analysis, we have analyzed the Supreme Court precedent "by considering what the Court actually did, rather than by dissecting isolated pieces of text."
    --

    In its words and deeds, Windsor established a level of scrutiny for classifications based on sexual orientation that is unquestionably higher than rational basis review. In other words, Wndsor requires that heightened scrutiny be applied to equal protection claims involving sexual orientation.
    Last edited by Deuce; 02-14-14 at 07:19 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •