Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 444

Thread: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

  1. #91
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Heebie Jeebie View Post
    But it's not in the Constitution. You'd think a judge might know this.
    Equal protection under the law is in the constitution. And "everyone has the same right to marry someone of the same race" didn't hold up before, I don't expect "everyone has the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex" will either. Gender and race are both protected classifications.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,016

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Equal protection under the law is in the constitution. And "everyone has the same right to marry someone of the same race" didn't hold up before, I don't expect "everyone has the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex" will either. Gender and race are both protected classifications.
    Dude the quote she used is from the Declaration of Independence. You'd think a judge would know this kind of thing. But hey apparently you and her both don't know where it is stated.
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    P. J. O'Rourke

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Children cannot sign a legal contract. The state has an important interest served by not allowing children to do that.

    This is not the case in banning same sex marriage. There's the guard rail for your slippery slope fallacy.
    Oh why do you bigots want to stand in the way of LOVE and EQUAL RIGHTS? How un-American. Just because your personal moral beliefs are against pedophilia, doesn't mean you have a right to force everyone else to adhere to your rules. Keep your religion out of other people's bedrooms. Why are you such a xenophobe?

    (Sarcasm, in case the degenerate state of our culture makes it unclear)

  4. #94
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Heebie Jeebie View Post
    You would think a judge might know this sort of stuff.

    "Our Constitution declares that 'all men' are created equal. Surely this means all of us," Judge Allen wrote on the first page of her opinion."

    VA Same-Sex Marriage Ruling Confuses Declaration of Independence with Constitution
    Read the virginia constitution. Literally the first thing.

    That all men are by nature equally free and independent and have certain inherent rights, of which, when they enter into a state of society, they cannot, by any compact, deprive or divest their posterity; namely, the enjoyment of life and liberty, with the means of acquiring and possessing property, and pursuing and obtaining happiness and safety.
    Edit: and holy **** the comments section on your link!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #95
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Oh why do you bigots want to stand in the way of LOVE and EQUAL RIGHTS? How un-American. Just because your personal moral beliefs are against pedophilia, doesn't mean you have a right to force everyone else to adhere to your rules. Keep your religion out of other people's bedrooms. Why are you such a xenophobe?

    (Sarcasm, in case the degenerate state of our culture makes it unclear)
    It was very clear that you had no actual answer to my argument.

    Equal protection is not a magic bullet to any grievance. The state can circumvent equal protection when a good enough reason exists. The level of scrutiny applied varies based on the characteristic. Race, for example, falls under the highest level of scrutiny. A "compelling state interest" must exist and the measure must be "narrowly tailored" to meeting that interest.

    Gender has historically fallen under intermediate scrutiny. An "important state interest" must be served and the measure "substantially related" to that interest.

    "The people want it" doesn't pass the test. "It's tradition" doesn't pass the test. "I morally disapprove" doesn't pass the test. Feel free to stick with hyperbole and slippery slope fallacies, though.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It was very clear that you had no actual answer to my argument.

    Equal protection is not a magic bullet to any grievance. The state can circumvent equal protection when a good enough reason exists. The level of scrutiny applied varies based on the characteristic. Race, for example, falls under the highest level of scrutiny. A "compelling state interest" must exist and the measure must be "narrowly tailored" to meeting that interest.

    Gender has historically fallen under intermediate scrutiny. An "important state interest" must be served and the measure "substantially related" to that interest.

    "The people want it" doesn't pass the test. "It's tradition" doesn't pass the test. "I morally disapprove" doesn't pass the test. Feel free to stick with hyperbole and slippery slope fallacies, though.
    What was your argument?

  7. #97
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    One, the pedophile argument is just weak. The government can, and should, discriminate against people. There's a reason there's levels of the Equal Protectoin Clause with regards to the court of law, and the level of impact to the states interest that the discrimination provides. There's a state interest to view minors as unable to enter into contracts, therefore there's a state interest in disallowing them to become married.

    Two, the Virginia Constitution is kind of irrelevant to this whole thing if my understanding is correct. The law in question was an amendment TO THE VIRGINIA CONSTITUTION. In terms of the "constitutionality" in regards to Virginia's Constitution, the marriage law was just as inherently "constitutional" as the notion that "all men are by nature equally free". The issue was that the judge believed it did not function within the Constitution of the United States.

    If, through the proper constitutionally designated method, passed an amendment that proclaimed that "People may no longer use the word "Boob", then that would be constitutional. Would it theoritically be at odds with the first amendments freedom of speech? Yes. However, there is no superiority over one amendment or the other and both are "constitutional"...thus basically suggesting you have the freedom of speech except you can't say boob. In a similar way, referencing other things Virginia's Constitution says as a counter to an amendment to Virginia's constitution is hollow.

    Third, the reason I say that the lower court cases are somewhat useless is because one, ultimately SCOTUS is going to have a say and it's the only one that matters, and two, many are basing it off a principle that has not been established at the SCOTUS level yet...that sexual orientation is greater than rational basis scrutiny, more akin with middle teir (like gender) or strict (like race).

    I've been saying for multiple years now, the thing I'm going to find most interesting when this finally reaches SCOTUS is to see if they rule based on discrimination based on sexual orientation and provide definite precedent bumping sexual orientation into a higher tier of the EPC OR if they rule based on gender discrimination.

    Oh, and since apparently some posters ignorantly and ridiculous believe that they can read minds and enjoy making retarded and foolish statements of what "ALL" people think (of course, they then backtrack a few sentences later from the ridiclous assertion...but don't bother to erase it in the first place), I've also long been one saying since this issue started actually being discussed that our marriage laws are unconstitutional on the basis of gender discrimination.

  8. #98
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    What was your argument?
    No important state interest is served by defining marriage as between a man and a woman, therefore the laws that do so are unconstitutional.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #99
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Oh why do you bigots want to stand in the way of LOVE and EQUAL RIGHTS?
    1) Love is a stupid reasoning to determine the law

    2) Equal Rights per the rule of law. Pedophiles, or children (take your pick which angle you want to come at this one), do not fall under middle or strict scrutiny under the equal protection clause. As such, they're subject to rational basis scrutiny. I believe the discrimination against either group can be shown to be rationally related to a legitimate state interest (the least of which, children not being able to enter into binding contracts)

    The same can not be said, imho, for gender discrimination where a man can do something a woman can't do and vise versa. I can't see where that discrimination is substantially related to serving an important state interest. As such, I believe our current marriage laws unconstitutional when it comes to SSM.

    We have equal rights under the law, but allow for discrimination, in multiple ways. Keeping on the children theme, curfew laws are an example of this. Age to buy alcohol or cigerettes. Age to be drafted into the military. Etc

    Just because your personal moral beliefs are against pedophilia
    Won't speak for others, but my objection to it when discussing these matters has nothing to do with my personal beliefs that pedophilia is wrong and everything to do with the Law and the constitution.

    Your sarcasm would be of more use if it was actually making a point

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,647

    Re: Federal Judge Rules Va. Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It was very clear that you had no actual answer to my argument.

    Equal protection is not a magic bullet to any grievance. The state can circumvent equal protection when a good enough reason exists. The level of scrutiny applied varies based on the characteristic. Race, for example, falls under the highest level of scrutiny. A "compelling state interest" must exist and the measure must be "narrowly tailored" to meeting that interest.

    Gender has historically fallen under intermediate scrutiny. An "important state interest" must be served and the measure "substantially related" to that interest.

    "The people want it" doesn't pass the test. "It's tradition" doesn't pass the test. "I morally disapprove" doesn't pass the test. Feel free to stick with hyperbole and slippery slope fallacies, though.
    actually it is and there are already lawsuits being generated out there that are waiting to see how this thing blows up.

    polygamists are lining up along with other non-traditional marriage arrangements to press the same argument and there is nothing you can do to argue against it.
    so it isn't a slippery slope as much as it is waiting in the wing sort of speak.
    once you redefine marriage into a generic definition of just people that love each other then everything else doesn't matter.

    we are not talking race, we are not talking gender.
    we are talking about peoples lifestyle choices. lifestyle choices are not a protected class like race and gender.

    you can't say that gay people and heterosexuals can marry but polygamist or any other alternate lifestyle can't. if you do then you are being a bigot and whatever other name you call people. your own view then fails to it's own hypocrisy.

    i am sure there are good polygamist marriages out there so how can you say that 2 or 3 adults that love each other shouldn't be allowed to marry and co-habitate as married?
    you are discriminating against their rights. (argument sound familiar it should.)

    if you don't think that this won't be pressed in court for the same reasons think again. then we will see where you really stand on the matter.
    the fact that you are speaking out against it pretty much sums it up.

Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •