Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 236

Thread: Rep. Keith Ellison on ObamaCare-Job Losses: More Time for Americans to Cook Dinner

  1. #41
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Rep. Keith Ellison on ObamaCare-Job Losses: More Time for Americans to Cook Dinne

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    The testimony is that 2 million people are dropping out of the work force? Nope sorry don't believe that. Please post it.

    But the Congressional Budget Office report does not say the 2 million jobs will be lost. Instead, it anticipates that Americans may voluntarily leave jobs or reduce work hours.
    Job leaving is not at all equivalent to lost jobs. Confusion and misplaced controversy warrants a closer look at what this report actually says about labor market participation
    and the various additional effects Affordable Care reforms are likely to have on the U.S. economy.

    http://www.scholarsstrategynetwork.o...bor_market.pdf

    What does the CBO report actually say?

    “The reduction in full-time-equivalent employment that CBO expects will arise from the ACA includes some people choosing not to work at all and other people choosing to work fewer hours than they would have in the absence of the law,” the report says.

    These “full time equivalent employment” numbers are derived by projecting the number of hours that will not be worked because of how worker behavior is affected by the law, not because employers are eliminating jobs.

    Obamacare: 'Job-killer' or freedom from 'job trap'? - CSMonitor.com

    CBO Director To Congress—Obamacare Is Not A Job Killer

    Critics of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) have interpreted the findings of the report as proof that Obamacare is a job killer.

    However, Elmendorf begs to differ and clarifies the confusion of the “misleading takeaway of his agency’s new report.”

    “The reason we don’t use the term ‘lost jobs’ is there is a critical difference between people who like to work and can’t find a job—or have a job that’s lost for reasons beyond their control—and people who choose not to word,” Elmendorf said.

    Actually, the CBO report clearly explains that the estimated reduction in labor “stems almost entirely from a net decline in the amount of labor that workers choose to supply, rather than from a net drop in businesses’ demand for labor” and that “there is no compelling evidence that part-time employment has increased as a result of ACA.”

    CBO Director To Congress

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #42
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Rep. Keith Ellison on ObamaCare-Job Losses: More Time for Americans to Cook Dinne

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Gotcha. First you say "this is what the report says", then, when asked to provide your source of info you say "**** you...I'm not telling you!!!" Hell, I was even asking all nice and respectful like.
    You are just lying now. You asked me to provide evidence where the report said it's a good thing we are losing 2 million jobs. That is a claim I never made. Thus why my responses to you are short and swift. No point in wasting much time on a dishonest partisan hack.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  3. #43
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Rep. Keith Ellison on ObamaCare-Job Losses: More Time for Americans to Cook Dinne

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    You are just lying now. You asked me to provide evidence where the report said it's a good thing we are losing 2 million jobs. That is a claim I never made. Thus why my responses to you are short and swift. No point in wasting much time on a dishonest partisan hack.
    Look how cute and feisty you are with your angry responses and your personal attacks just flying left and right!

    The suggested defense of Ellisons comments was that this was a GOOD thing. The first person making that comment said pretty much the same thing you did and couldnt defend it. I was merely asking you to do what he couldnt (and you apparently are unwilling to) do. I even did it in a polite conversational manner.

    Are you OK? Too much caffeine? Not enough fiber? Its not like you to jump to rabid angry personal attacks.
    Last edited by VanceMack; 02-13-14 at 03:20 PM.

  4. #44
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Rep. Keith Ellison on ObamaCare-Job Losses: More Time for Americans to Cook Dinne

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Sure...I'll bite. Can you cite that CBO report that states that those jobs that will be lost are a good thing?
    It won't be job opportunities that are reduced, it will be employees wanting the job that will be reduced. Please deal with facts and not FNC talking points.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  5. #45
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Rep. Keith Ellison on ObamaCare-Job Losses: More Time for Americans to Cook Dinne

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I am increasingly stunned by this type of loony response to what the CBO said...Do libs really think that everyone is so independently wealthy that they can just say 'oh, I am going to stop working now because I can buy health insurance'? What about the other bills of life that make up much more of a household budget....Mortgage/Rent, Electric, Gas, FOOD!!!!?????

    You libs really think that most people are only working to get Health Insurance? I don't.
    Actually many people do have the resources to pay for their daily incumbrances, but cannot pay for a large medical issue, hence they need insurance, and since the only insurance that allowed for pre-existing conditions and would not be cancelled upon need, and is affordable WAS employer group insurance. Now that is no longer the case so many may choose to live on less be that a family goes to a single income family or something similar. How stupid do you have to be to not realize the huge cost of uninsured medical treatment and how it often costs people their homes and assets?
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  6. #46
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Rep. Keith Ellison on ObamaCare-Job Losses: More Time for Americans to Cook Dinne

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    It won't be job opportunities that are reduced, it will be employees wanting the job that will be reduced. Please deal with facts and not FNC talking points.
    There's no way you can justify laws that encourage people not to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #47
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 04:46 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,873

    Re: Rep. Keith Ellison on ObamaCare-Job Losses: More Time for Americans to Cook Dinne

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Actually many people do have the resources to pay for their daily incumbrances, but cannot pay for a large medical issue, hence they need insurance, and since the only insurance that allowed for pre-existing conditions and would not be cancelled upon need, and is affordable WAS employer group insurance. Now that is no longer the case so many may choose to live on less be that a family goes to a single income family or something similar. How stupid do you have to be to not realize the huge cost of uninsured medical treatment and how it often costs people their homes and assets?
    Right, so take a dual income family. Bobby works and gets medical insurance offered via the employer, and Sam works to the to pay the bills, and this employer doesn't offer medical insurance.

    Now, thanks to the ACA, Bobby can quit, but Sam doesn't have to pick up insurance at work. With the newly lowered family income, taxpayers will buy their insurance via a full subsidy.

    Everybody wins!

  8. #48
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Rep. Keith Ellison on ObamaCare-Job Losses: More Time for Americans to Cook Dinne

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    It won't be job opportunities that are reduced, it will be employees wanting the job that will be reduced. Please deal with facts and not FNC talking points.
    There will be fewer jobs...because fewer employees will be WANTING jobs. In an economy with unemployment in the black community running at around 20%, overall unemployment about the same...and...there will be 2 million fewer jobs but only because less people will need to work. Thats REALLY your position?

    Love to see the CBO report that shows that we will see a reduction in jobs of 2 million in a nation with rampant unemployment problems. So far, one person vanished, the other has had several rage episodes...but maybe third time is the charm. Can YOU produce the CBO report and findings that show that 2 million fewer jobs will be a GOOD thing?

    "talking points"...

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Rep. Keith Ellison on ObamaCare-Job Losses: More Time for Americans to Cook Dinne

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Actually many people do have the resources to pay for their daily incumbrances, but cannot pay for a large medical issue, hence they need insurance, and since the only insurance that allowed for pre-existing conditions and would not be cancelled upon need, and is affordable WAS employer group insurance. Now that is no longer the case so many may choose to live on less be that a family goes to a single income family or something similar. How stupid do you have to be to not realize the huge cost of uninsured medical treatment and how it often costs people their homes and assets?
    Why is that my problem to pay for?

  10. #50
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Rep. Keith Ellison on ObamaCare-Job Losses: More Time for Americans to Cook Dinne

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's no way you can justify laws that encourage people not to work.
    Of course I can because I see the huge benefit that a stay-at-home parent makes over cheap childcare, or a 60-65yo who is laid off and has the money to survive fine and begin retirement except for that health insurance issue. Sorry, I guess YOU are limited in your ability to see the realities of life, I am not.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •