Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Scary 1929 Market Chart gains traction

  1. #1
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,690

    Scary 1929 Market Chart gains traction

    Obviously "past performance is not indicative of future performance" rules apply here, but it is certainly a bit chilling!

    Scary 1929 market chart gains traction - Mark Hulbert - MarketWatch

    The talk is all about a chart that takes the last 19 months of DJIA results and compares them to the 19 months leading up to the great depression:

    MW-BU310_scary__20140210132547_MG.jpg

    It's a frighteningly tight fit!

    So, anyway..
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #2
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Scary 1929 Market Chart gains traction

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Obviously "past performance is not indicative of future performance" rules apply here, but it is certainly a bit chilling!

    Scary 1929 market chart gains traction - Mark Hulbert - MarketWatch



    The talk is all about a chart that takes the last 19 months of DJIA results and compares them to the 19 months leading up to the great depression:

    MW-BU310_scary__20140210132547_MG.jpg

    It's a frighteningly tight fit!

    So, anyway..

    Yeah, I posted this as a tag on to a thread yesterday....So far I have been called every name in the liberal book, while libs dismiss the chart.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #3
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: Scary 1929 Market Chart gains traction

    That is pretty wild that the data time line is so close with the events.

    I read a lot of the nay sayers regarding this chart and really their arguments dont hold water. The ups and downs in the time line match, there are no manipulations of either timeline.

    Lets just hope that it does not continue to follow the 1929 chart and breaks with the pattern.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  4. #4
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Scary 1929 Market Chart gains traction

    A fairly useless chart actually, and a highly misleading one to boot. The y axis is skewed in order to convey the idea that an increase of nearly 100 percent in the year 28-29 is proportional to an increase of less than a third. No surprise though. Every run of success the DJIA has enjoyed in recent memory has been compared to the run-up to the Depression by those who profit off of "scary" and "alternative" analysis.

  5. #5
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Scary 1929 Market Chart gains traction

    Even if it were accurate, and I'm not totally willing to concede that, though I do think another crash is imminent for a variety of reasons, why would you folks, whose policies have caused the recurrence of the possibility of a crash, keep showing us what a failure opportunity inequality combined with the nearly forced option of having to put both savings and speculation into the market because any other avenue is guaranteed to give almost no returns, what a failure those policies are likely to be exposed as when/if another deeper crash occurs?
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,103

    Re: Scary 1929 Market Chart gains traction

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Obviously "past performance is not indicative of future performance" rules apply here, but it is certainly a bit chilling!

    Scary 1929 market chart gains traction - Mark Hulbert - MarketWatch

    The talk is all about a chart that takes the last 19 months of DJIA results and compares them to the 19 months leading up to the great depression:

    MW-BU310_scary__20140210132547_MG.jpg

    It's a frighteningly tight fit!

    So, anyway..
    these are scary, too. :

    WG 1.jpg

    US_BNKFAIL1211_SC.jpg

  7. #7
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,690

    Re: Scary 1929 Market Chart gains traction

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    That is pretty wild that the data time line is so close with the events.

    I read a lot of the nay sayers regarding this chart and really their arguments dont hold water. The ups and downs in the time line match, there are no manipulations of either timeline.

    Lets just hope that it does not continue to follow the 1929 chart and breaks with the pattern.

    The argument tends to revolve around the x axis fit. The problem with that argument is that an x axis fit is only really needed if you are trying to show causation. Straight correlations like this don't need the same x axis.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: Scary 1929 Market Chart gains traction

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Even if it were accurate, and I'm not totally willing to concede that, though I do think another crash is imminent for a variety of reasons, why would you folks, whose policies have caused the recurrence of the possibility of a crash, keep showing us what a failure opportunity inequality combined with the nearly forced option of having to put both savings and speculation into the market because any other avenue is guaranteed to give almost no returns, what a failure those policies are likely to be exposed as when/if another deeper crash occurs?
    Conservative policies caused this?

    LOL

    You must live in Colorado or Washington.

  9. #9
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Scary 1929 Market Chart gains traction

    There is some skewing of the 1928 to 1929 data to make it appear as though the rates are comparable. Its my understanding that the Dow doubled in 1928 - 1929, while its only increased by third in the comparing time period.

    However, the big difference today is volume due to all the electronic trading. To me that makes such a comparison hard to make.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Scary 1929 Market Chart gains traction

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Obviously "past performance is not indicative of future performance" rules apply here, but it is certainly a bit chilling!

    Scary 1929 market chart gains traction - Mark Hulbert - MarketWatch

    The talk is all about a chart that takes the last 19 months of DJIA results and compares them to the 19 months leading up to the great depression:

    MW-BU310_scary__20140210132547_MG.jpg

    It's a frighteningly tight fit!

    So, anyway..
    4-5 years ago I predicted a double dip and then a depression...

    Obamacare, Obama and his hate for capitalism and business (small business), new regulations and a house that pretty much agrees with progressives and a senate dominated by progressives will bring our economy to it's knees.

    Our federal government is extremely hostile to business - Obamacare only made that worse. Obamacare forces small businesses to cut hours and have a boat load of part time workers, and even then the successful businesses are being bought out by giants in the industry for their assets or to just squash competition.

    Obviously my concerns cannot be summarized in a brief post but we are going down hill.

    Obama and his minions are doing everything in their power to bankrupt the United States, kill jobs and get the majority of the populace reliant on government to put food on their table and cloth and educated their children...... They don't need guns or an army to do this - just a pen and the right legislators....

    As they say - the fountain pen is mightier than the sword.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •