Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73

Thread: Majority of Americans Favor Ties With Cuba, Poll Finds

  1. #31
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,185
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Majority of Americans Favor Ties With Cuba, Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I think that's a good thing.
    Sugar water is bad for your teeth and causes heart disease, but I see nothing wrong with Coca-Cola's enterprise. When the trade restrictions were lifted on Myanmar in 2012, Coke practically threw 20,000 cases on a direct flight to Yangon and Atlanta, Georgia planted a big ole American flag smack in the middle of the country.

    Coca-Cola Co. KO +0.14% and Unilever ULVR.LN +0.88% will invest a total of nearly $1 billion in Myanmar over the next decade, making the biggest commitments by Western multinational corporations and becoming the first prominent global companies to restart manufacturing in the Southeast Asian country. The announcements came more than a year after Western sanctions against investment in Myanmar were tentatively lifted. Western investor interest in the still-risky market so far has taken the form of representative offices and discussions about joint ventures. Most foreign direct investment has come from other Asian countries.

    Coke formally opened a bottling plant Tuesday on the outskirts of Yangon, where manufacturing began in April. The company plans to start producing Coke at another plant within two months, pledging $200 million over the next five years to increase production and distribution across the country.

    Coke and Unilever Invest $1 Billion in Myanmar - WSJ.com
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  2. #32
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Majority of Americans Favor Ties With Cuba, Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    This isn't much of a surprise poll if you are politically attuned. I haven’t the slightest of ideas why we still have trade embargoes and travel restrictions on Cuba. Although I'm certain that we might be able to tease out some DP posters who believe this is a bad idea.

    My only concern is - as the NYT article mentions - human rights in Cuba. Yetl I find it strange that anyone would believe that the US (and Cubans) is better at increasing respect for human rights by isolating the Cuba. All that type [of diplomacy] achieves is an echo chamber for the Cuban government. Free trade, American tourist dollars and free movement are much better at spreading ideas and (given Cuban censorship) sharing restricted materials deemed to be dangerous.

    Moreover, I'm jealous that only the Chinese and Venezuelans are able to sit on Cuban beaches sipping piña coladas.
    Firstly, I'm not sure what the urgency or benefit the US sees in opening up "ties" with Cuba. Perhaps ending the trade embargo and all that goes with it might be acceptible, but what does America get out of the deal?

    Secondly, does anyone think that if you normalize relations with Cuba, tons of Cubans wouldn't take that advantage to find a way into mainland America and set up shop as illegal immigrants? If they're willing to pile onto rafts in the hundreds and thousands to float to Florida, how many are likely to find a more convenient way to get there.

    Thirdly, more than Chinese and Venezuelans go to Cuba - Canadians go there for a cheap vacation all the time and in years past Americans would fly into Toronto or Montreal to hop on a charter holiday flight to Havana. It's not as if it was difficult - but perhaps now, with Homeland Security more intrusive, perhaps that avenue isn't as available now.

    Fourthly, the beaches in Cuba may be nice, but that's about it - the hotels and everything else is stuck in the 50s - you need to bring your own toilet paper, water, and other staples - and don't drink anything unless it's pure liquor (not a bad idea if you're there) and never have ice in your drink, unless you want to spend your time on that toilet and using all your toilet paper in one day.

    Rather than America making overtures to Cuba, why not let Cuba make the overtures and apologize for their behaviour under Castro, etc. If they want to get back into the free world environment, let them show how they're going to change to get there.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #33
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Majority of Americans Favor Ties With Cuba, Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Opening a dialogue, then trade and then travel starts that process.

    The regime knows its days are numbered.
    Maybe. Frankly I'm surprised Obama hasn't penned a declaration peace with them. [and closed Gitmo]
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  4. #34
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,185
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Majority of Americans Favor Ties With Cuba, Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Firstly, I'm not sure what the urgency or benefit the US sees in opening up "ties" with Cuba. Perhaps ending the trade embargo and all that goes with it might be acceptible, but what does America get out of the deal?
    The EU has opened up bilateral negotiations with Cuba, as of yesterday.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Secondly, does anyone think that if you normalize relations with Cuba, tons of Cubans wouldn't take that advantage to find a way into mainland America and set up shop as illegal immigrants? If they're willing to pile onto rafts in the hundreds and thousands to float to Florida, how many are likely to find a more convenient way to get there.
    I doubt that Cubans will be allowed to leave Cuban soil anytime soon. Besides we have normal relations with Haiti, Guatemala, Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic. Do we see an abnormally lower level of illegal immigrants coming through the US boarder and on rafts from those countries? Genuine question. Last I checked, I don't see large masses of illegal immigrants from Latin American and Caribbean countries making it through US Customs in our airports.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Thirdly, more than Chinese and Venezuelans go to Cuba - Canadians go there for a cheap vacation all the time and in years past Americans would fly into Toronto or Montreal to hop on a charter holiday flight to Havana. It's not as if it was difficult - but perhaps now, with Homeland Security more intrusive, perhaps that avenue isn't as available now.

    Fourthly, the beaches in Cuba may be nice, but that's about it - the hotels and everything else is stuck in the 50s - you need to bring your own toilet paper, water, and other staples - and don't drink anything unless it's pure liquor (not a bad idea if you're there) and never have ice in your drink, unless you want to spend your time on that toilet and using all your toilet paper in one day.
    Aussies as well. I'm globalized enough to have been invited to vacation in Havana before by non-American friends who didn't know that these travel restrictions existed for American citizens. And well, these types of uncomfortable conditions exist in almost all Caribbean and Latin American countries. That's why resorts exist. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Rather than America making overtures to Cuba, why not let Cuba make the overtures and apologize for their behaviour under Castro, etc. If they want to get back into the free world environment, let them show how they're going to change to get there.
    Raul Castro has made it well known that he's willing to sit down with the US. I also don't see the point of demanding an apology from Cuba. What exactly is that going to solve or prove? That the US government is filled with dopes who hold grudges for a really, really long time?
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,389

    Re: Majority of Americans Favor Ties With Cuba, Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    How so? both involved property deeds that originated from a time when one nation was subjugated by the other
    The major difference I was referring to was that in one case it was third party property. In the other case it was the oppressor's ill gained treasure.

  6. #36
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Majority of Americans Favor Ties With Cuba, Poll Finds

    I suspect it's mostly because they want the cigars.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #37
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Majority of Americans Favor Ties With Cuba, Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I suspect it's mostly because they want the cigars.
    This point there is no good reason to not trade with them. It would help increase ours and their prosperity. They no longer have the backing of Russia and are no longer a threat to us

  8. #38
    Advisor Chocolate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    America!
    Last Seen
    10-15-15 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    563

    Re: Majority of Americans Favor Ties With Cuba, Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I suspect it's mostly because they want the cigars.
    Oh... My god.... I just realized why cuban cigars are illegal.....

  9. #39
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Majority of Americans Favor Ties With Cuba, Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    This point there is no good reason to not trade with them. It would help increase ours and their prosperity. They no longer have the backing of Russia and are no longer a threat to us
    I don't disagree at all- it's just that Cuban cigars are probably about the best import item we can get from there.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #40
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Majority of Americans Favor Ties With Cuba, Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I don't disagree at all- it's just that Cuban cigars are probably about the best import item we can get from there.
    Hey have some kick ass rum and they could probably sell their cars to our collectors market for more than a few bucks

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •