Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 123

Thread: Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

  1. #1
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

    Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

    WASHINGTON -- Volkswagen AG has been soliciting subsidies from Tennessee and Mexico, hoping to pick a production site this year for a mid-sized SUV due to go on sale in 2016.
    And it seems that this week's UAW election at the VW assembly plant in Chattanooga could tilt the competition in Mexico's favor.
    The reason? Republican lawmakers in Tennessee might no longer want to double down on the $580 million in state and local incentives that they offered VW in 2008.
    If the workers opt for UAW representation, VW would have a "very tough time" securing more incentives from the state legislature, Bo Watson, a state senator from suburban Chattanooga, said during a press conference this morning. He was flanked by House Majority Leader Gerald McCormick, a powerful figure in Tennessee politics, who said the "heavy hand" of the UAW is unwelcome in the state.
    "The taxpayers of Tennessee reached out to Volkswagen and welcomed them to our state and our community," McCormick, a Republican from Chattanooga, said in an e-mail to Automotive News. "We are glad they are here. But that is not a green light to help force a union into the workplace. That was not part of the deal."
    So they are willing to give hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer funded subsidies, but only if the company is non union
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  2. #2
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,028
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

    That's the thing some states don't seem to understand. You can give away the farm but there's always a bigger farm.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  3. #3
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election
    So they are willing to give hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer funded subsidies, but only if the company is non union
    Why would they care one way or the other? Am I missing something?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

    Really ? If they are UAW don't they just hand their ballots over to the DNC (figuratively) on Election Day? What percent of the UAWs money in politics is non partisan? If you were a Republican in Tenn would you want to subsidize Democratic Party donations by the UAW? Really?


    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Why would they care one way or the other? Am I missing something?

  5. #5
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Why would they care one way or the other? Am I missing something?
    That's easy; unions give money to Democrats and not Republicans.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  6. #6
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Really ? If they are UAW don't they just hand their ballots over to the DNC (figuratively) on Election Day? What percent of the UAWs money in politics is non partisan? If you were a Republican in Tenn would you want to subsidize Democratic Party donations by the UAW? Really?
    I asked a question, I didn't make a statement. So, I assume the answer is that if workers unionize they will be ordered to vote Democrat and that's why the Republicans are against the UAW. That seems like a logical answer but....

    ..... it begs the question, if you work for VW and you are not in a union, do you vote differently? Theoretically, your ballot is secret so you can vote however you like and lie about it if it's uncomfortable. Even if the UAW management votes Democrat, how many management votes could there be compared to the number of line workers? isn't bringing in the jobs the more important issue? It seems like a lot to give up over a few hundred votes.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Really ? If they are UAW don't they just hand their ballots over to the DNC (figuratively) on Election Day? What percent of the UAWs money in politics is non partisan? If you were a Republican in Tenn would you want to subsidize Democratic Party donations by the UAW? Really?
    So, a politician using their authority to interfere with the oppositions right to speech and assembly is ok with you?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #8
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    That's easy; unions give money to Democrats and not Republicans.
    Oh, now that does make perfect sense. It's not about how they'll vote, it's about who they'll donate to.

    I understand. Thanks.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

    It goes way beyond the votes Speck! Sure some union guys secretly vote Republican but it's the dues going to campaigns that is the killer. DNC is robustly funded by union dues and there is no reason to subsidize that foothold for the left with tax dollars.


    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I asked a question, I didn't make a statement. So, I assume the answer is that if workers unionize they will be ordered to vote Democrat and that's why the Republicans are against the UAW. That seems like a logical answer but....

    ..... it begs the question, if you work for VW and you are not in a union, do you vote differently? Theoretically, your ballot is secret so you can vote however you like and lie about it if it's uncomfortable. Even if the UAW management votes Democrat, how many management votes could there be compared to the number of line workers? isn't bringing in the jobs the more important issue? It seems like a lot to give up over a few hundred votes.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tenn. politicians threaten to kill VW incentives if UAW wins election

    They aren't interfering with those rights one bit and you know it. Nice straw fake argument for your hack agenda.


    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    So, a politician using their authority to interfere with the oppositions right to speech and assembly is ok with you?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •