Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Aging America heading for disaster

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Aging America heading for disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    What these younger idiots don't realize, is that the policies and attitudes towards the elderly that they emplace now, will bite them in the ass in 20+ years. The dumb, arrogant ****s don't think they'll age or be affected.
    Men in my family die young, so there is a good chance I won't be.

  2. #42
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Aging America heading for disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Men in my family die young, so there is a good chance I won't be.
    Then stand for the rest of us and be rewarded in the next life. Or at least take comfort that you didn't let a bunch of smart alecks screw over those who cared.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Aging America heading for disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Not if you give it away before you die.

    Which is what I am in the process of doing.

    The tax on zero=zero
    You were still taxed on it. Be it capital gains or income.. it was taxed. Government taxes everything that moves.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Aging America heading for disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Then stand for the rest of us and be rewarded in the next life. Or at least take comfort that you didn't let a bunch of smart alecks screw over those who cared.
    I don't believe in reincarnation, and honestly, I don't want another life. I'm kind of happy this one will be short anyway. I have no interest in being old.

  5. #45
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Aging America heading for disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I don't believe in reincarnation, and honestly, I don't want another life. I'm kind of happy this one will be short anyway. I have no interest in being old.

    It's called a "continuation", not reincarnation. Death is a lie, always has been.

    No one wants to be old, it's a lesson in appreciation of Gods gifts. You're not given a choice in this matter.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Aging America heading for disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    It's called a "continuation", not reincarnation. Death is a lie, always has been.

    No one wants to be old, it's a lesson in appreciation of Gods gifts. You're not given a choice in this matter.
    Honestly, this thing we call life is overrated and all this talk of people not appreciating it are crap. There is nothing really to appreciate. I'm not depressed even if I might sound like it, but just that I can't find purpose in this thing we call life. It doesn't seem to have any and when we get old the purpose it did have is replaced with lose of function, aging and just general misery. It's not a good transfer and not one I'm interested in making. There is nothing there I desire to purchase, and nothing there worth acquiring. If I'm reborn or continued or whatever, I would rather have that than old age. I have seen people suffer when they reach their mid fifties and beyond and that just isn't for me. God can call it a gift if he wants, but I can consider it a crappy gift and reject it.

  7. #47
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Aging America heading for disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Honestly, this thing we call life is overrated and all this talk of people not appreciating it are crap. There is nothing really to appreciate. I'm not depressed even if I might sound like it, but just that I can't find purpose in this thing we call life. It doesn't seem to have any and when we get old the purpose it did have is replaced with lose of function, aging and just general misery. It's not a good transfer and not one I'm interested in making. There is nothing there I desire to purchase, and nothing there worth acquiring. If I'm reborn or continued or whatever, I would rather have that than old age. I have seen people suffer when they reach their mid fifties and beyond and that just isn't for me. God can call it a gift if he wants, but I can consider it a crappy gift and reject it.

    You're ahead of your time.

    Don't sell Him short, for you haven't seen the end game. Wait till He's given from the cup of plenty, before you make a final judgment. It more than makes up for all that we have suffered in this lifetime. And I mean, WAY than makes up for.
    Last edited by grip; 02-11-14 at 06:52 AM.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  8. #48
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    497

    Re: Aging America heading for disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Your point is?

    Do you really want to sell your humanity for a few dollars?
    My point is that with the way the older generation has flooded the market, we'd be lucky to get two bits, let alone a few dollars.

  9. #49
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Aging America heading for disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkySalsa View Post
    My point is that with the way the older generation has flooded the market, we'd be lucky to get two bits, let alone a few dollars.


    It isn't the average share holder that's done this but the greedy 30 year old bastard.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #50
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Aging America heading for disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Social Security was never designed to be the sole retirement income for anyone.
    True. But it is often sold as the sole retirement income for anyone. A politician is more likely to argue for increased SS benefits than to campaign for more savings, individual retirement accounts, or even stating what you just stated. Instead we get politicians wringing their hands about how many old people are in poverty and we need to raise SS. I have never seen a public service advertisement urging people to wait until 66 or so to start drawing SS. Most people draw a reduced amount at 62, or before on SS disability which is at record levels.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •