Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 110 of 110

Thread: Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

  1. #101
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,946

    Re: Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    no one suggested they did.
    I responded to someone else and supported his statement with my own. What part of my response indicates I did not read?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #102
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,828

    Re: Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    Animals get killed for use of food. If you are more outraged over this giraffe's death than a cow's, you should ponder why that is.

    Is it because the cow isn't cute enough? (hint: yes. that's the real reason)
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #103
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    On the surface it is disturbing. But there was a reason the animal was not transferred or sold. Here is some insight.

    Why not move Marius?
    The Copenhagen Zoo had turned down offers from at least two other zoos to take Marius and an offer from a private individual who wanted to buy the giraffe for 500,000 euros ($680,000)...
    BBC News - Why did Copenhagen Zoo kill its giraffe?
    I think they declined the private individual because he was named Alan.

    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  4. #104
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    "Protesters carrying banners gathered outside the zoo this morning and thousands of people signed a petition to rescue the giraffe, called Marius, after the Danish zoo announced it was planning to kill the animal because of European laws on inbreeding.

    Other zoos, including the Yorkshire wildlife park in Britain, had offered to take it in.

    But according to the Danish newspaper BT, Marius was fed some rye bread at 9.15am and was killed shortly after by a shot in the head with a bolt gun."


    Couldn't they have simply neutered the animal? And what exactly is the "threat of inbreeding" for animals in captivity? Is an inbred giraffe in a zoo something we are supposed to worry about?

    Also I find this a bit strange:

    "Live footage of his body being dissected was streamed by Ekstra Bladet, showing zoo workers wearing green rubber gloves carrying out the dissection while an announcer guided the crowd through the process and fielded questions. Some of the meat was later fed to lions at the zoo."

    I'm all for teaching kids the circle of life and all that but having kids gather around to watch a giraffe being butchers seems strange.

    Mom - "Ooh kids! get your jackets on! Wanna go see Marius gutted?!"

    Kids - "Yaaaay!"
    Are giraffes endangered?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #105
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Are giraffes endangered?
    two sub-species are

  6. #106
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,989
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Animals raised in captivity generally wont survive in the wild.
    They generally don't survive being butchered, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-24-16 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    100 years ago zoological gardens were places where people could see animals that they would never have an opportunity to observe (although in cages). But today I can watch a well produced nature film on my HD television and see these animals in the wild. I just don't see what purpose these zoos provide that an animal sanctuary doesn't do better. So in this case I find the whole thing so ironic that some people are actually upset about a culling of an inferior specimen and feeding it to predators. At the very least the zoo's director was attempting to demonstrate to the public what would have/should have happened to this animal in the wild.

  8. #108
    Educator
    Michael Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Unknown
    Last Seen
    04-29-15 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Animals get killed for use of food. If you are more outraged over this giraffe's death than a cow's, you should ponder why that is.

    Is it because the cow isn't cute enough? (hint: yes. that's the real reason)
    Cows are cute.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word 'freedom' out of your vocabulary. - El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    "Protesters carrying banners gathered outside the zoo this morning and thousands of people signed a petition to rescue the giraffe, called Marius, after the Danish zoo announced it was planning to kill the animal because of European laws on inbreeding.

    Other zoos, including the Yorkshire wildlife park in Britain, had offered to take it in.

    But according to the Danish newspaper BT, Marius was fed some rye bread at 9.15am and was killed shortly after by a shot in the head with a bolt gun."


    Couldn't they have simply neutered the animal? And what exactly is the "threat of inbreeding" for animals in captivity? Is an inbred giraffe in a zoo something we are supposed to worry about?

    Also I find this a bit strange:

    "Live footage of his body being dissected was streamed by Ekstra Bladet, showing zoo workers wearing green rubber gloves carrying out the dissection while an announcer guided the crowd through the process and fielded questions. Some of the meat was later fed to lions at the zoo."

    I'm all for teaching kids the circle of life and all that but having kids gather around to watch a giraffe being butchers seems strange.

    Mom - "Ooh kids! get your jackets on! Wanna go see Marius gutted?!"

    Kids - "Yaaaay!"
    Didn't they also feed it to a lion?

  10. #110
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: Copenhagen zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe named Marius

    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •