Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 220

Thread: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

  1. #41
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,689

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    I always read these "break news" reports and picture the announcement starting something like this:

    "OK, everyone please be seated, I have some VERY important news to tell you about what I do with my genitalia..."

    And then I laugh and move on because who cares?
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #42
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Who wants to bet this dude's chances of being a first round draft pick were slim and none, yesterday?

    Like that basketball cat that came out of the closet. He'll NEVER get cut, now.
    prior to yesterday, this guy was predicted to go in the 2nd or 3rd round.

    and, FWIW, Jason Colins did get cut at the end of last season and no one else wanted him. The difference is, this guy can actually play. he was SEC defensive player of the year, all american, etc.

    Jason Colins was nothing more than a bench warmer who was called in on occasion to rough someone up in the middle.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #43
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Collins was a fine player and played for many years. Nobody's ever going to confuse him with Jordan, but he was a good backup to have on the bench.
    Colins was a "journeyman" backup center. couldn't shoot very well, couldn't rebound very well. His biggest asset was his ability to foul people and make them think twice about driving the lane. 12 years in the league with 5-6 different teams and never was a starter anywhere. At 36 y/o, and his already average stats declining, he just isn't very valuable as a player any more. It has nothing to do with him coming out as gay.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #44
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    By the way Jason Collins, near the end of his career, doesn't have a job anymore after coming out gay. No one picked up his contract.
    Collins coming out was like Elton John coming out

  5. #45
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    The tweets from current NFL players have been nothing but supportive.
    They kind of have to. Anyone that comes out with negative remarks will likely face a **** storm from both the public and management.

  6. #46
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Collins coming out was like Elton John coming out
    maybe I'm just too cynical, but I think Colins coming out was a calculated move on his part to remain semi-relevant. Dude wasn't ever very good to begin with, he knew his career was basically over but by "coming out" he could get a little more attention and then when he failed to land a contract he could always cry that it was because he is gay.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #47
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Too true . A player simply being gay doesn't come close to any kind of sexual harassment. If anything, another player objecting to the simple presence of the gay player would be closer. Sexual harassment requires some kind of specific acts to apply.

    It shouldn't be anyone's concern but it clearly is. Anyone known to be or suspected of being homosexual will be treated differently (usually worse) in environments such as the NFL.

    As for stating it, directly you might have a point but the fact is sexuality isn't hidden unless you're forced to do so (which nobody should). You chat with colleagues, talk about what you did at the weekend ("Went to dinner with my wife"), which actors or singers you like ("Madonna used to be hot but she really let herself go." or have simple crossover with your life ("I need a weeks leave for my wedding."). Without actively working to hide it, your sexuality is likely to become apparent over time. Add in the media attention of NFL players and there would be no way to live an free and normal life without your sexuality becoming apparent.

    As long as "football player is gay" is considered newsworthy, I think it's perfectly valid for a gay player (or potential player) to state their sexuality and get the "news" out of the way and focus on their job.

    Anyway, given your attitude on the sexual harassment element, don't you think it would be preferable for homosexual players to be known rather than hidden and secretive? Unless, of course, you think they should just be banned from playing professional sports at all.
    I agree with everything that you say here. My comment had more to do with the state of sexual harassment laws which give all their power to someone who wants to make a point. And all it takes is for one homophobic player who wants to make a point to file a complaint. If the country is as homophobic as many think, it seems possible.
    I suspect that there have been gay athletes in locker rooms for years only it was only known about by a few people. It is different when a player is ridiculed by his non-athlete friends with jokes about being naked with the gay guy because it is public knowledge.

  8. #48
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,160

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    Colins was a "journeyman" backup center. couldn't shoot very well, couldn't rebound very well. His biggest asset was his ability to foul people and make them think twice about driving the lane. 12 years in the league with 5-6 different teams and never was a starter anywhere. At 36 y/o, and his already average stats declining, he just isn't very valuable as a player any more. It has nothing to do with him coming out as gay.
    I didn't say it was about him being gay. I'm just saying that the characterization of "was never all that good" is not entirely true. For 12 years he was at least good enough to be on someone's bench, and if he wasn't at least a little good he never would have played that long. The fact that he can't get a call now probably does have a lot more to do with his age and price than anything else, but 5 years ago he probably would have gay or not. That's at least a little good.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #49
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,383

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Sam has a very shrewd agent.

  10. #50
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I didn't say it was about him being gay. I'm just saying that the characterization of "was never all that good" is not entirely true. For 12 years he was at least good enough to be on someone's bench, and if he wasn't at least a little good he never would have played that long. The fact that he can't get a call now probably does have a lot more to do with his age and price than anything else, but 5 years ago he probably would have gay or not. That's at least a little good.
    anyone who can play in the NBA is at least "a little good", compared to the average person. But compared to other NBA players, Colins was mediocre at best.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •