Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 220

Thread: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

  1. #131
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    Colins was at the low end of the spectrum as far as NBA centers go. he only averaged 3ppg over his career. he was at his best clogging up the middle and committing fouls to keep people from getting a clean shot off. barely good enough to stay in the league, but never good enough to start or stay with the same team for more than a couple of years.
    Yes i was conceding that. No one knows whether his announcement made the difference in getting a contract or not. If this all-american linebacker is not signed, however, we will all know the reason why. Gonna be interesting

  2. #132
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    He was. And despite having the talent to still be on of the 32 best QB's in the NFL, the only job he got was as the 3rd string backup behind an established starter and a young high draft pick in one of the most stable franchises in the NFL at that time (Philadelphia). Michael Vick doesn't counter my argument...he makes it.

    Vick went on in later years to start, and not just start but play at an MVP level. Clearly, the TALENT was there. But the media circus that was inevitably going to follow any team that picked him up drove away potential suitors that could've used him as a starter. It took an incredibly stable organization giving him a shot well below what someone with his talent, but without the distraction, would've warranted to get him back into the NFL.

    Tim Tebow is another example. Here's a guy that helped lead his team from a losing record to a playoff birth and then playoff victory. Heisman Winner. Two time national champion. 1st round pick. And still young. He should AT LEAST be talented enough to be a 3rd stringer on some teams squad, if not the backup. However, the problem is that the media attention he drives is just way too big of a headache.

    Time and time again NFL players have bene shyed away from because the potential risk outweights the potential reward. Many instances this ties into negative media attention. Manti Te'o could be another potential argument to point to here and his drop in the draft.

    I'm not saying he doesn't get drafted. I absolutely think he does. But I also do think there are a number of organizations who, completely reasonably imho, would choose to take him off their board completely or downgrade the round because they don't feel the potential media circus is worth the potential reward of his talent on the field.

    And if he's drafted I think you'll be seeing media, including non-sports media, out at Training camp looking to ask players questions regarding it, seeking to ask coaches questions regarding his spot on the team/impact/etc, and just in general a larger prsense than normal. I imagine the preseason games, if the team has any nationally televised, will likely put some focus on him. If he ends up being a backup there may not be much come the regular season, but I wouldn't be shocked if there still was attention being driven.

    You had ESPN basically camped out at a team to give daily updates about a backup Quarterback on a bad team. I can't fathom that somehow the first openly gay player in the NFL is going to sniff little to no real media disruption.

    Now I will say...if a rash of players come out, including some that are currently active, then suddenly it becomes less of a big deal and you probably have more GM's open to taking him because the level of distraction reduces as it becomes more spread out.
    Several months will pass before the season. What's that say about our society that this is somehow a "circus/distraction" similar to what vick did or even te'o? I disagree entirely that it would be "reasonable." It would be illegal and something they can and should get sued for. Discrimination is never acceptable.

  3. #133
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Michael Sam is closer to Jim McGreevy than he is to Jackie Robinson.
    Why do you say that, because the nfl hasn't proven repeatedly to be hostile to gays or cause the latter are all the same to you?

    This is pretty damn insulting. Sam came out on his own, to his team last season. He wasn't caught in an affair or any such bs.

  4. #134
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    If someone is uncomfortable, regardless of their gender or sexual orientation, then they should shower separately. It's not something new the moment someone announces their gay or not, there are bashful people of both genders and all sexual orientations.

    I just don't see the logic in applying the 'separate locker rooms' thing ONLY because of sexual orientation.
    Isnt that why women have separate locker rooms? Sexual orientation?

  5. #135
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,917

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Isnt that why women have separate locker rooms? Sexual orientation?
    No ...
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    'The Missouri defensive end could become the first openly gay player in the NFL.

    Missouri All-American Michael Sam says he is gay, and the defensive end could become the first openly homosexual player in the NFL.

    In interviews with ESPN, The New York Times and Outsports, Sam says he came out to his teammates and coaches at Missouri in August.

    Sam says: I am an openly, proud gay man.'


    All-American Michael Sam says he is gay - latimes.com



    Gutsy guy. I hope this does not in any way hurt his career or his life.

    But it is about time someone in the NFL came out...so big kudos to him...it must not have been an easy decision.
    This story is funny ****...

    First I could give a **** who he likes to bone.

    But, I read an article on him this morning in the Chicago Tribune (progressive toilet paper) and they did an entire expose on him, and they couldn't stop mentioning hes gay....

    Now, usually mid-to-late 1st round picks don't get this type of media - the only possible reason this clown is getting media attention is because hes gay and progressives LOVE gay people.... You see - in progressiveland being a person is ok but being a GAY person elevates you into STAR status...

    Of course progressives claim gay is "normal" so why the **** don't they treat being gay as "normal?"

    You think any mid-to-late 1st round pick would get a front page article in ANY major news outlet/paper?

    So yes the dude only got a front page piece in the Trib because he is gay - and progressives love to promote the **** out of homosexuality...

  7. #137
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,390

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Why do you say that, because the nfl hasn't proven repeatedly to be hostile to gays or cause the latter are all the same to you?

    This is pretty damn insulting. Sam came out on his own, to his team last season. He wasn't caught in an affair or any such bs.
    I don't even understand what you say in your first sentence. On the wide spectrum between Jim McGreevy and Jackie Robinson, I think it is 100 accurate to say that Michael Sam is closer to Jim McGreevy than he is to Jackie Robinson. Jackie Robinson didn't get to have a whole lot of introspective time to decide whether to let the world know he was a Black American and what he experienced was a whole lot more hostile than anything that Michael Sam could experience.

    Get off your high horse and have a bit of perspective. Jim McGreevy was self serving and attempting to defend himself in his "gayness" by defending himself against sexual harassment charges against the person who he was "gay" with and provided a state job. Jackie Robinson volunteered to be a test case for the integration of baseball.

  8. #138
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Isnt that why women have separate locker rooms? Sexual orientation?
    The basis of your statement was now gays would need separate locker rooms. Specifically because they are gay. Not all women are heterosexual, so should lesbians be forced to have separate facilities too?
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    The basis of your statement was now gays would need separate locker rooms. Specifically because they are gay. Not all women are heterosexual, so should lesbians be forced to have separate facilities too?
    Correct. Women get seperate facilities because of sexual attraction. Logically gays should get seperate facilities because of sexual attraction. Its a brave new world.

  10. #140
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: All-American college football player Michael Sam says he is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Correct. Women get seperate facilities because of sexual attraction. Logically gays should get seperate facilities because of sexual attraction. Its a brave new world.
    So we are right back to everyone having their own separate facilities.... regardless of sexual orientation.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •