Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 450

Thread: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Sure, people get their **** confused... in the immediate aftermath of a traumatic incident.

    This is, apparently, YEARS later, and she's saying something that doesn't make sense to me.

    I was wondering if anybody could explain it. Apparently the answer to that is no.
    No one can explain it because it makes no sense.

  2. #212
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Your response indicates that you are speculating. You don't think that "maybe" the information at hand warrants postponing the dismissal of her claims every bit as much as it warrants jumping to condemning the man she is accusing?
    Give us some examples of physical coercion on an adult female that don't involve threats or violence please. We are all waiting.

  3. #213
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,303

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Ending rape on campus
    Student-led activists movement fights to end rape on campus - CNN.com

    Well. I don't know exactly how this makes me feel. I read through the entire article and it is nice to see action. There is a problem and something needs to be done. For that I am happy.

    But one of those incidents does not fit in with the rest. Espinosa's. I don't understand how that is rape? Maybe I misread it. But it just struck me somewhere as...odd. And. Maybe. A little bit off. Everyone else can someone explain that to me?
    I would have thought that we had been trying to prevent rape everywhere for ever.

  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Are we to believe that he "tricked her" into having sex with him for 3 years? And, when speaking of an adult female, does that equal rape?

  5. #215
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Give us some examples of physical coercion on an adult female that don't involve threats or violence please. We are all waiting.
    There you go again.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  6. #216
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,733

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    This is simply a falsehood.

    The police give them more than adequate attention in fact they are required to make an arrest even if in doubt, the problem is the police are well aware of the dangers of false accusations and what can happen to a person who is fraudulently accused. Therefore the authorities have to have evidence which will allow formal charges and a trial.
    Examples of domestic violence accusations which are one persons word against anothers are enormolus and yet they still end up in court where a judge or jury must decide based on NO evidence who is telling the truth. Such a situation is a disgrace to a nation founded on ideals such as innocent until proven guilty and this situation is heavily biased against men which is one more piece of evidence that the patriarchal theory is a myth.
    You make falsehood after falsehood and then accuse me?! What you say depends on so many things happening in just the right way, particularly that the victim has the nerve to call the police in the first place.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Now, if we were talking about a minor, rubbing, touching, kissing, etc, would be considered "physical coercion." However, we are talking about an adult female here.

  8. #218
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    I think if a woman says no it means no, period. The question is, did she say no. I have no idea. Which, I think, is basically your point. There is a problem from my perspective when someone is so ready to dismiss her without knowing what the coercion involved. This implies that only physical force equals rape. Which is inaccurate.
    As I stated no one disagree's with you that no equals no.

    Coercion however is a much more complex word.

    I once had a conversation with someone who insisted and military recruiters coerce people into enlisting in the military. This is an absurd position since a recruiter only sells the military much like a car salesman might try to sell you a car whether it is right for you or not.

    If someone insists that other wise benign actions are coercion then there is no changing their mind. Most reasonble people would have to hear the details to judge whether it was really coercion or not. For example if an employer offers a promotion in exchange for sex is it blackmail? Of course it is. Is it sexual harrassment? Of couse it is. Is it coercion? Kind of doubtful.

  9. #219
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,831
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Assuming her story is true, physically coercing some one into having sex is going to fall into the category of rape. There is an area that I am not sure exactly how well defined it is in law that is really sticky on the rape question, but physical coercion is pretty definitely rape.
    "Yes, he was her boyfriend. No, he hadn't pinned her down, or threatened violence. But Espinosa insists that he coerced her, psychologically and physically, into having sex against her will for most of their three-year relationship."

    Hmmm. I'd buy rape once, maybe even twice. After that she's complicit.

    The rape charge reminds me of the police investigation of Masaryk's death after the Communist takeover in Czechoslovakia in 1948. His body was found on the street bound and gagged after a fall from an upper story window. Police determined the death was a suicide.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    There you go again.
    Just as I suspected. You have no explanation either. Lol!

Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •