Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 450

Thread: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

  1. #91
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Intent means nothing here. Zero. What matters is what you guys are saying and doing. Your words make light of million's of women's and men's plights, period. Stop belittling rape stories.



    Yes you are. Over 90% of rape allegations turn out to be true. The reason why myths such as yours persist is that to acknowledge the epidemic of rape would be to acknowledge that there is a widespread problem with male behavior, as virtually every rapist is a male. Those attitudes help make rape a horribly difficult crime to report. Did you not read the victim's acknowledgement of that fact?
    Sorry you are wrong.

    Stating facts as I have done about rape is not defending the crime which you would accuse people of doing.

    You claim that 90% of allegations turn out to be true is an outright lie and falsehood. The myth is what you are repeating that virtually every rapist is a male. This is simply not true.

    A victim claiming that it is difficult to report is by definition reporting it which makes the very claim contradictory.

    The facts as I stated them are irrefutably true false accusations of rape are not well tracked but common place and they might outnumber unreported cases of legitimate rape whether you like it or not.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Am I to play the same game as you and assume that this is how most rape apologists talk?
    She was with him for 3 years! She says herself that she was never forced to have sex with him. She was an adult when it happened. How do you figure this is rape? It sounds to me like she is bitter over a bad relationship, but THAT is not rape. She doesn't even say HOW she was alleged "coerced" into sex with him.

    If she was a child at the time and made these claims, that would be another story completely.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,787

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    It is exactly the same. You believe someone when they say they are the victim...and when it is a crime like rape, assault, and so on...you believe the other person is guilty.

    And when it is an issue like THIS, someone is publicly accused without a trial to convict them of the crime. How exactly are you NOT supporting guilty until proven innocent?

    The fact is that rape victims must prove they were raped. Just like any crime, there must be evidence of the victim's claim.
    I sincerely hope that your friends, should they ever become a victim of crime, NEVER come to you for consolation. I can't imagine what this marked lack of empathy would do to them.

    You twist and distort my words, and you choose not to listen. You choose not to understand my differentiation between listening to someone who claims to be a crime victim vs. how I would act as a juror in that very same crime.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  4. #94
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    That is not at all what I said. Don't insert words into my mouth. All I want is for sexual assault and rape victims to have their stories given the same deference as victims of arson, burglary, robbery, and other crimes. I find it fascinating that sexual crimes are treated differently in this regard, and I ask myself, why is that?



    When someone claims to have been the victim of a crime, I believe them unless I have a legitimate reason to not do so. This is not the same thing as guilty until proven innocent. Humans are not required to send every idea they have to a court of law to judge whether that idea is legit.
    They are given the same defference IF there is proof that the crime took place.

    Notice the specific types of crimes you named in comparison. Arson, robbery, burglary, all of these crimes are difficult to fake. One cannot accuse someone of commiting arson unless someones property has been set fire to and burned down. You might burn your own property and blame someone else but the crime still happened and is undeniable. The same basic truth applies to robbery and burglary. It is hard to accuse somone of stealing something which has not been stolen. Some people for example hide their own property and attempt to report it stolen while making an insurance claim. In general the authorities are very good at solving those crimes and such people tend to get charged with insurance fraud because they usually do not want to completely get rid of the property they report stolen and so they get caught.

    Rape in contrast is most often one persons word against anothers ( assault or domestic violence fits the same description ) especially because no rape test kit is completed in over half of all accusations of rape. Therefore it is simple easier to lie and falsely accuse people of this crime.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    They are given the same defference IF there is proof that the crime took place.

    Notice the specific types of crimes you named in comparison. Arson, robbery, burglary, all of these crimes are difficult to fake. One cannot accuse someone of commiting arson unless someones property has been set fire to and burned down. You might burn your own property and blame someone else but the crime still happened and is undeniable. The same basic truth applies to robbery and burglary. It is hard to accuse somone of stealing something which has not been stolen. Some people for example hide their own property and attempt to report it stolen while making an insurance claim. In general the authorities are very good at solving those crimes and such people tend to get charged with insurance fraud because they usually do not want to completely get rid of the property they report stolen and so they get caught.

    Rape in contrast is most often one persons word against anothers ( assault or domestic violence fits the same description ) especially because no rape test kit is completed in over half of all accusations of rape. Therefore it is simple easier to lie and falsely accuse people of this crime.
    I would agree that there are false accusations, but rape is a common crime, so don't assume that MOST are false allegations. Most are probably very real, only rape is difficult to prove, so a lack of evidence sufficient to prosecute doesn't equal a false allegation.

  6. #96
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It seems that defining rape is a prerequisite for that effort. Like Espinosa, I am struggling to make sense of her new definition of rape.
    She says physical coercion was used. How is that a new definition of rape?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    I'm not buying what Espinosa is putting down. Unless a man has you trapped in a house and is beating and or threatening you on a regular basis, you DON'T STAY!!
    It sounds like, thankfully, you have no experience with domestic abuse:

    "An abuser will hit their partner an average of 35 times before police are notified for the first time. (Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Data Brief, February 2003)"

    The Facts About Domestic Violence | Doorways for Women and Families

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You must be kidding. She specifically said she was not forced into sex. Unless she is mentally deficient, then no this is not rape. Emotional manipulation does not equal rape anyway. That is utterly ridiculous.
    Actually, no, that isn't what she said at all. From the article in the OP:

    "Yes, he was her boyfriend. No, he hadn't pinned her down, or threatened violence. But Espinosa insists that he coerced her, psychologically and physically, into having sex against her will for most of their three-year relationship."

    Emphasis mine, of course.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,787

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    She was with him for 3 years! She says herself that she was never forced to have sex with him. She was an adult when it happened. How do you figure this is rape? It sounds to me like she is bitter over a bad relationship, but THAT is not rape. She doesn't even say HOW she was alleged "coerced" into sex with him.
    Few things in life as ironic as a woman justifying rape.

    It is none of our damn business how the alleged coercion occurred. That is an extremely personal and upsetting chapter in her life, and she has the absolute right to keep that information private. If you had problems in your sex life--and unless rape was involved, then I can assure you, you are almost certainly going through nothing anywhere nearly as traumatic--shouldn't we know the details? Shouldn't we be allowed to judge for ourselves whether your positions, technique, body weight, shaving habits, and all sorts of other intimate details about you? Or would that feel like a gross intrusion of your privacy, not to mention horribly creepy? Guess what: Many rape survivors that I have talked to have expressed the exact same sentiment about having the particulars of that horrible night, or nights, or days, discussed. Why should you get a pass when she does not?

    If she was a child at the time and made these claims, that would be another story completely.
    Our society has finally gotten serious about the epidemic of pedophilia--almost paranoid at times, I say. But when it comes to rape of teenage and grown women, society remains remarkably silent. Your sentiment accurately reflects this.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  8. #98
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Am I to play the same game as you and assume that this is how most rape apologists talk?
    If you want to avoid addressing the content of my posts

  9. #99
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I would agree that there are false accusations, but rape is a common crime, so don't assume that MOST are false allegations. Most are probably very real, only rape is difficult to prove, so a lack of evidence sufficient to prosecute doesn't equal a false allegation.
    I never said most.

    False accusations are also common.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Ending Rape On Campus[W 228]

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    She says physical coercion was used. How is that a new definition of rape?



    It sounds like, thankfully, you have no experience with domestic abuse:

    "An abuser will hit their partner an average of 35 times before police are notified for the first time. (Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Data Brief, February 2003)"

    The Facts About Domestic Violence | Doorways for Women and Families



    Actually, no, that isn't what she said at all. From the article in the OP:

    "Yes, he was her boyfriend. No, he hadn't pinned her down, or threatened violence. But Espinosa insists that he coerced her, psychologically and physically, into having sex against her will for most of their three-year relationship."

    Emphasis mine, of course.
    Did he force her to stay against her will? Was she an adult at the time?

    She was with him for THREE years!!! I'm assuming she wasn't being held prisoner because if that had been the case, surely charges would have been filed. She has to take responsibility for her bad relationship decisions.

Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •