Page 84 of 90 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 896

Thread: Iran sending warships close to US borders[W:623]

  1. #831
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What a self loathing view....
    It's extremely narrow-minded view and does not take into consideration other factors whatsoever. I think those who claim our single goal is the conquest of other countries for the purpose of oil are ignorant.

  2. #832
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    It's funny how so many of the people here clamoring for action against Iran were opposed to intervention in Syria a few months back. They fail to realize that the surest way to destroy the Iranian regime short of an invasion (and by far a less costly method to do so) is to eliminate Tehran's most crucial client state. That would sever the connection that Iran has to Hamas and Hezbollah and force the regime to collapse inward, where they'll collapse due to internal pressures.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  3. #833
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    It's funny how so many of the people here clamoring for action against Iran were opposed to intervention in Syria a few months back. They fail to realize that the surest way to destroy the Iranian regime short of an invasion (and by far a less costly method to do so) is to eliminate Tehran's most crucial client state. That would sever the connection that Iran has to Hamas and Hezbollah and force the regime to collapse inward, where they'll collapse due to internal pressures.
    Well I don't want to go to war with them or anything. I'm just saying there is a happy medium between kissing their butts and going to war. Yet sanctions don't seem to work (of course not when other countries do not participate), trying to "reach out" to them didn't seem to work either. They kind of leave us with not very many options.

    Isn't that why they're angry with us anyway? Because we sent ships over there because of the mess in Syria? That was the gist I got from everything I've heard at least.

    I still don't want us involved in the mess in Syria because then we'll just be making NEW enemies.

  4. #834
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well I don't want to go to war with them or anything. I'm just saying there is a happy medium between kissing their butts and going to war. Yet sanctions don't seem to work (of course not when other countries do not participate), trying to "reach out" to them didn't seem to work either. They kind of leave us with not very many options.

    Isn't that why they're angry with us anyway? Because we sent ships over there because of the mess in Syria? That was the gist I got from everything I've heard at least.
    My personal method to deal with Iran is similar to how we dealt with the Soviet Union: instead of facing them directly, we go after the proxy militias and client states that serve as Iran's sphere of influence. The Soviet Union's humiliating defeat in Afghanistan and the collapse of the satellite states are the main reasons why the CCCP collapsed. Because Iran is in a similar situation - a large, well-educated population that is discontented with its undemocratic government - we should utilize a similar policy, although being more careful than we were in Afghanistan and less rash than we were in Vietnam.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  5. #835
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    My personal method to deal with Iran is similar to how we dealt with the Soviet Union: instead of facing them directly, we go after the proxy militias and client states that serve as Iran's sphere of influence. The Soviet Union's humiliating defeat in Afghanistan and the collapse of the satellite states are the main reasons why the CCCP collapsed. Because Iran is in a similar situation - a large, well-educated population that is discontented with its undemocratic government - we should utilize a similar policy, although being more careful than we were in Afghanistan and less rash than we were in Vietnam.
    That's actually not a bad idea, but at what cost? I don't see how we could accomplish these goals without advocating for some kind of war or interference, and that's exactly how things got started with the hate we see today from Iran according to some on this site.

  6. #836
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's actually not a bad idea, but at what cost? I don't see how we could accomplish these goals without advocating for some kind of war or interference, and that's exactly how things got started with the hate we see today from Iran according to some on this site.
    Meh, our foreign policy is always going to piss someone off. You can't please everyone, and everyone's a critic
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  7. #837
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Meh, our foreign policy is always going to piss someone off. You can't please everyone, and everyone's a critic
    This is truth! No avoiding that I suppose.

  8. #838
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    This is truth! No avoiding that I suppose.
    My list of priorities on what to cater to with our foreign policy:

    1. Our national security interests

    2. The safety of innocent civilians

    3. The security of our allies

    4. Our economic interests

    (skip a few)

    999,648. What some asshole dictator or a rabidly angry fundamentalist thinks of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  9. #839
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Hey LMR, interesting to see you coming over and discussing foreign policy. You should come over to ME and talk about it some more.
    Oh no. No no no no no no no no. Too many heated opinions and land mines in that area.

    I know from our previous discussions you think I'm respectful, but I'm really just being a pushover because you know more about the Constitution and guns than I do. Trust me, I can be a real douche when talking international relations
    It's such a polarized issue I just don't see how it can be rationally discussed at this point in time, which is one reason I give my opinion and run when it comes to this subject.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #840
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Oh no. No no no no no no no no. Too many heated opinions and land mines in that area.
    It's kind of weird feeling like I'm posting in the quarantined area of the forum. It's not really that bad; I've heard it was really horrible before, but I've only gotten a glimpse of that.
    It's such a polarized issue I just don't see how it can be rationally discussed at this point in time, which is one reason I give my opinion and run when it comes to this subject.
    That's one of the problems with foreign policy. Whenever something interesting or important happens, you suddenly have a swarm of experts who probably couldn't identify a country on a map or name more than two actors in a given conflict. The rest of the time it's a little boring, and there's no one new to talk with.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

Page 84 of 90 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •