Page 65 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 896

Thread: Iran sending warships close to US borders[W:623]

  1. #641
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    When you live and travel abroad, you gain perspective on the world. One of the most drastic shifts is the sudden epiphany that America is both the worst country in the world and the greatest. For me, that was living in Europe. I honestly hate America: the people are prudish, arrogant, uptight and fantastically dumb. Yet I still love America: we're innovative, welcoming, freedom-loving and are a passionate and principled nation. I sorely miss my Germans in the beergarten overlooking the Rhein, but I'd miss the hustle and bustle of Chicago too.

    Humanity's downfall is the people who don't have or refuse this experience. These are the people who wish to squash the world into a simplistic us-vs-them box. That the "enemy" is all bad, and that "we" are all good. The world does not exist like that except in your imagination. Iranians are honest and wonderful people, who share the same hopes and dreams that we Americans do. Iranians care for their families, their careers and all of life's pleasures. There's not much that separates the Iranian people from the American people in both success and failure.

    Another view on Iran. Documented by photographer Hossein Fatemi - Imgur
    This really has more to do with the Iranian government rather than the people IMO. There is no doubt that Iran is run by religious extremist mullahs. There is evidence that Iran sponsors and has sponsored well-known terrorist groups.

  2. #642
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders[W:623]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I confess that I have not read this thread and have no clue what anybody else has said.

    But my first instinct is that would it be a really bad thing if Iran actually fired a shell or something--poorly aimed of course--onto U.S. soil. That would give us full right, righteous justification, and reason to:

    1. Destroy or confiscate the ship.
    2. Take out Iran's nuclear capability.

    But does anybody really think Iran is dumb enough to do that?
    Who's to say? Certainly "dumber" things have been done by smarter people I'm sure.

  3. #643
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders[W:623]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I confess that I have not read this thread and have no clue what anybody else has said.

    But my first instinct is that would it be a really bad thing if Iran actually fired a shell or something--poorly aimed of course--onto U.S. soil. That would give us full right, righteous justification, and reason to:

    1. Destroy or confiscate the ship.
    2. Take out Iran's nuclear capability.

    But does anybody really think Iran is dumb enough to do that?

    No! Iran will NOT be doing that. But countries have been falsely accused before, as pretext for war.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #644
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    When you live and travel abroad, you gain perspective on the world. One of the most drastic shifts is the sudden epiphany that America is both the worst country in the world and the greatest. For me, that was living in Europe. I honestly hate America: the people are prudish, arrogant, uptight and fantastically dumb. Yet I still love America: we're innovative, welcoming, freedom-loving and are a passionate and principled nation. I sorely miss my Germans in the beergarten overlooking the Rhein, but I'd miss the hustle and bustle of Chicago too.

    Humanity's downfall is the people who don't have or refuse this experience. These are the people who wish to squash the world into a simplistic us-vs-them box. That the "enemy" is all bad, and that "we" are all good. The world does not exist like that except in your imagination. Iranians are honest and wonderful people, who share the same hopes and dreams that we Americans do. Iranians care for their families, their careers and all of life's pleasures. There's not much that separates the Iranian people from the American people in both success and failure.

    Another view on Iran. Documented by photographer Hossein Fatemi - Imgur

    We do not stand for the jihadists that wish to bring war and destruction; nor do we stand for the Americans that wish to either.
    Pitty that more can't see this as it is. Governments would almost certainly never get away with war.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #645
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders[W:623]

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    No! Iran will NOT be doing that. But countries have been falsely accused before, as pretext for war.
    Of course, it's doubtful, but one can never say never. That is just being naive.

  6. #646
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,171
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    When you live and travel abroad, you gain perspective on the world. One of the most drastic shifts is the sudden epiphany that America is both the worst country in the world and the greatest. For me, that was living in Europe. I honestly hate America: the people are prudish, arrogant, uptight and fantastically dumb. Yet I still love America: we're innovative, welcoming, freedom-loving and are a passionate and principled nation. I sorely miss my Germans in the beergarten overlooking the Rhein, but I'd miss the hustle and bustle of Chicago too.

    Humanity's downfall is the people who don't have or refuse this experience. These are the people who wish to squash the world into a simplistic us-vs-them box. That the "enemy" is all bad, and that "we" are all good. The world does not exist like that except in your imagination. Iranians are honest and wonderful people, who share the same hopes and dreams that we Americans do. Iranians care for their families, their careers and all of life's pleasures. There's not much that separates the Iranian people from the American people in both success and failure.

    Another view on Iran. Documented by photographer Hossein Fatemi - Imgur

    We do not stand for the jihadists that wish to bring war and destruction; nor do we stand for the Americans that wish to either.
    This really has more to do with the Iranian government rather than the people IMO. There is no doubt that Iran is run by religious extremist mullahs. There is evidence that Iran sponsors and has sponsored well-known terrorist groups.
    It's still the people that suffer when action is taken due to irresponsible rhetoric.

    Let's say Rick Santorum by some miracle gets elected to office ... ?
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  7. #647
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    It's still the people that suffer when action is taken due to irresponsible rhetoric.

    Let's say Rick Santorum by some miracle gets elected to office ... ?
    Is Rick Santorum running for office? Regardless if he was, that is why WE have a constitution and procedures that must be followed.

    I don't see what that has to do with Iran sending warships though.

  8. #648
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,171
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Is Rick Santorum running for office? Regardless if he was, that is why WE have a constitution and procedures that must be followed.

    I don't see what that has to do with Iran sending warships though.
    We'd be two countries lead by religious extremists who pray to the invisible God above on how to direct their respective militaries; and I sorely hope that the rest of the world would be both careful and rational when it came to dealing with either of us.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  9. #649
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    We'd be two countries lead by religious extremists who pray to the invisible God above on how to direct their respective militaries; and I sorely hope that the rest of the world would be both careful and rational when it came to dealing with either of us.
    No, you are ignoring the fact that we have a Constitution. This is why we cannot let any of our politicians ignore or "rewrite" the Constitution. This is just ONE reason why many of us take the Constitution (and the 2nd amendment in particular since it is ALWAYS under attack) very, very seriously.

  10. #650
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders[W:623]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Of course, it's doubtful, but one can never say never. That is just being naive.
    I see. Nobody should ever use the word never then. Don't let me catch you saying something will never happen down the road now!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 65 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •