Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Alaska moves another step closer to August marijuana-legalization vote

  1. #11
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Alaska moves another step closer to August marijuana-legalization vote

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    In a poll, 55% of Alaskans are in favor of legalization. The dominos are falling, one by one, folks. Texas is not too far behind either. This week Rick Perry said that he was in favor of decriminalization right here in Texas. Soon we will have plenty of room in our prisons for REAL criminals. Let the trend continue. I'll drink smoke to that.

    Article is here.
    That is in fact good news and the more states legalizing the better as far as I am concerned.

    However your projection is a little off. State legalization means little as long as the federal government is interfering with it's war on drugs. Possession of marijuana is also a federal crime. The federal government helps to finance state and local law enforcement and one of the results they expect in return is arrests for drug charges. This ultimately results inb the problem you recognize of people in prison needlessly for non violent drug charges.

    Until we can end he war on drugs, abolish the DEA and office of drug enforcement policy, and repeal those federal laws I fear the positive changes in state law like Alaska are meaningless.

  2. #12
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Alaska moves another step closer to August marijuana-legalization vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    That is in fact good news and the more states legalizing the better as far as I am concerned.

    However your projection is a little off. State legalization means little as long as the federal government is interfering with it's war on drugs. Possession of marijuana is also a federal crime. The federal government helps to finance state and local law enforcement and one of the results they expect in return is arrests for drug charges. This ultimately results inb the problem you recognize of people in prison needlessly for non violent drug charges.

    Until we can end he war on drugs, abolish the DEA and office of drug enforcement policy, and repeal those federal laws I fear the positive changes in state law like Alaska are meaningless.
    I disagree. Two states now have legal weed. This is going to be a case where states, one by one, legalize weed, and when enough states have done it, then a tipping point will be reached, and the Federal government will then abandon it's position of keeping marijuana illegal.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #13
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Alaska moves another step closer to August marijuana-legalization vote

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I disagree. Two states now have legal weed. This is going to be a case where states, one by one, legalize weed, and when enough states have done it, then a tipping point will be reached, and the Federal government will then abandon it's position of keeping marijuana illegal.
    I see little or no historic precedence for this.

    The federal governments position on this is all about the money. Obama has been rumored to be pro legalization but has never taken any steps to end the federal drug war even though he could have. In fact he has allowed the DEA and drug czar to enforce federal drug laws in draconian fashion such as shutting down medical marijuana clinics in California.

    The Federal government profits in more ways than one by waging a war on it's own citizens in the name of fighting drugs. A dominoe effect of states legalizing it would have little influence on the federal government whcih views the states as provinces or territories anyways.

  4. #14
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,042

    Re: Alaska moves another step closer to August marijuana-legalization vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    This is perfect. The government wants fewer people because of Obamacare to work and now they can sit at home getting stoned and eating Doritos. Here's a stock tip. Buy Frito Lay.
    They don't want fewer people to work, they want people to be able to decide for themselves if they want to work without the burden of considering if they'd be able to acquire insurance without it being through their employer.

    Case in point. I have an uncle who owns a successful small business (florist shop) and his wife worked as a nurse. Even though neither of them wanted her to work. They both wanted her to stay home with their daughter as a stay at home mother. The reason she continued working? Because he has had past issues with his liver, and even though he's fine now, he could not find health insurance before ObamaCare that would insure him with his "pre-existing condition". So his wife had to continue working so that they could all be on her plan, that way they'd never have to worry about an insurance company coming behind and dropping them down the road if he got sick again. So now she is able to stop working, because she wasn't working for the money anyways, and be a stay at home parent, and they are able to sleep soundly because they now that if he gets sick again, they don't have to worry about getting dropped and having huge bills laid on their lap.


    So please understand the issue before talking about it and do us all favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  5. #15
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Alaska moves another step closer to August marijuana-legalization vote

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    They don't want fewer people to work, they want people to be able to decide for themselves if they want to work without the burden of considering if they'd be able to acquire insurance without it being through their employer.

    Case in point. I have an uncle who owns a successful small business (florist shop) and his wife worked as a nurse. Even though neither of them wanted her to work. They both wanted her to stay home with their daughter as a stay at home mother. The reason she continued working? Because he has had past issues with his liver, and even though he's fine now, he could not find health insurance before ObamaCare that would insure him with his "pre-existing condition". So his wife had to continue working so that they could all be on her plan, that way they'd never have to worry about an insurance company coming behind and dropping them down the road if he got sick again. So now she is able to stop working, because she wasn't working for the money anyways, and be a stay at home parent, and they are able to sleep soundly because they now that if he gets sick again, they don't have to worry about getting dropped and having huge bills laid on their lap.


    So please understand the issue before talking about it and do us all favor.
    I understand the issue. Your relatives have decided to attach themselves to the federal teat and now other people have to work to subsidize them. If people actually buy into this job lock nonsense it will end the American dream for millions and we won't be a nation of haves and have nots. We will become a nation of workers and leaches with everyone owned by the all powerful Federal government.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  6. #16
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,042

    Re: Alaska moves another step closer to August marijuana-legalization vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I understand the issue. Your relatives have decided to attach themselves to the federal teat and now other people have to work to subsidize them.
    They have always and will continue paying for their own health insurance. They are not being subsidized by anything. He owns a successful business and could have went out and afforded his own insurance on his own, but it was hard to find one that would cover a person with past health problems, or one that wouldn't drop him right away if he happened to get sick again. His family has purchased a plan and they are paying for it themselves with no subsidies.

    You don't understand the issue and it shows when you open your mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  7. #17
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4

    Re: Alaska moves another step closer to August marijuana-legalization vote

    sure there's no historic precedence, The Netherlands are hardly comparable to the US, if only in terms of size. But people's opinions about legalization have definitely been changing and I agree with danarhea that eventually a tipping point will be reached when government just will not be able to continue with their policies. Although I think you're description is fairly accurate of the current situation.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Alaska moves another step closer to August marijuana-legalization vote

    It should definitely be legalized, even for recreational use. If an adult wants to smoke marijuana, why shouldn't he/she be able to? It's really not so different than having a couple of beers after work or something.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,670

    Re: Alaska moves another step closer to August marijuana-legalization vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    This is perfect. The government wants fewer people because of Obamacare to work and now they can sit at home getting stoned and eating Doritos. Here's a stock tip. Buy Frito Lay.
    What makes you think many more people will smoke pot if legal than now? Anybody that wants to smoke does.

    Some people may try it but just like cigarettes and alcohol, not everyone likes it and continues. Not only that, there's a huge difference between use and abuse.

    It's completely hypocritical (and useless) to keep pot illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #20
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Alaska moves another step closer to August marijuana-legalization vote

    Alaska has a huge alcohol problem, especially in the more remote villages. This might actually help.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •