Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 231

Thread: Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled[W:121]

  1. #121
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,927

    Re: Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled



    Moderator's Warning:
    Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled[W:121]There's been enough baiting, personal comments and off-topic zero content remarks made in this thread. So, going forward, all posts should be related to the topic and only the topic which is not each other or the ping-ponging of comments back and forth with each other. It ain't-a-gonna be fun for y'all if ya violate this warning.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  2. #122
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    this one does:

     Coloradoís Fatal Crashes Involving THC Increased 148%.

    Between 2006 and 2011, 240 people were killed in Colorado in crashes where the driver tested positive for THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. The number of fatalities with drivers under the influence of marijuana has increased over the years, while state-wide fatal crashes have decreased.

    In Colorado during the five-year period, 2006 to 2011, fatal crashes involving THC increased 148%.

    THC Total State Percent
    Fatal Crashes Fatal Crashes THC
    Year
    2006 21 721 2.9%
    2007 23 789 2.9%
    2008 31 712 4.4%
    2009 37 653 5.7%
    2010 42 600 7%
    2011 52 587 8.9%

    Source: Colorado Department of Transportation
    And by comparison, what has been the increase in number of casual users of marijuana? Its also not insignificant that while the number of marijuana USERS has gone up, the number of alcohol related fatalities has not decreased and still far surpasses incidents where marijuana use was indicated at some point in time.

    No one is suggesting that it is safe to drive while under the influence of ANYTHING. Surely you get that...right? The reality is...more people are using and abusing substances, be it alcohol, marijuana, prescription, meds, heroin, etc.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    there is nothing here that says:

    they were high at the time of the accident
    they cased the accident
    if they did cause the accident it was caused by them being high

    if you disagree simply prove us wrong and post those facts now

    fact win again !
    there is nothing that says they weren't either. The info here tells you it is an issue. I could care less except for the people they endanger while out. Everyone of them deserves the disaster that is waiting on them.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled

    This stands to reason since the marijuana of today is said to be many times more potent than that of the 60s and 70s.

    Not your father's weed? Marijuana potency stronger than ever - CNN.com

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Again, doesn't prove that the person was high at the time of the crash. It could be used to construe that marijuana use in general is on the rise, which I would buy. But it doesn't mean that it was a factor in the crash.
    it shows an increase in fatalities for people with THC in their system while total fatalities including alcohol are down. When/if you lose someone close to you we are sure you will change your mind.

  6. #126
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,818

    Re: Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    1.)there is nothing that says they weren't either.
    2.) The info here tells you it is an issue.
    3.) I could care less except for the people they endanger while out.
    4.) Everyone of them deserves the disaster that is waiting on them.
    1.) correct, good thing i didnt make that claim. So like ive said for pages, your OP and stats fail on the premise they are presented. They were destroyed by muiltiple posters. The ONLY fact they stated is that weed was found in the system of my people. Nothing else. The rest is pure GUESSING.
    2.) No it factually does nothing of the sort. One could GUESS it is but there nothing that says it factually is.
    3.) the expression is i couldn't care less and yes everybody here is against driving while under the influence but the OP doesnt address that
    4.) you are welcome to this meaningless opinion

    So the facts remain the OP and stats factually failed and were debunked based on the premise in which they were presented. The only facts they provided were that more people in recent years were found to have weed in their system.

    Finally you realize the facts presented by many posters.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #127
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled

    Which is the problem when stoners from the '60's/70's restart the vice after a career where they were subject to random testing.
    As with prescriptions that say no driving until you have seen what you're like under the influence, same should be true here.
    Even the idea of a designated driver should be looked at for pot.
    However, there is enough chemical evidence that about two hours is needed to be safe with the new high-potency dope .
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    This stands to reason since the marijuana of today is said to be many times more potent than that of the 60s and 70s.

    Not your father's weed? Marijuana potency stronger than ever - CNN.com
    Physics is Phun

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) correct, good thing i didnt make that claim. So like ive said for pages, your OP and stats fail on the premise they are presented. They were destroyed by muiltiple posters. The ONLY fact they stated is that weed was found in the system of my people. Nothing else. The rest is pure GUESSING.
    2.) No it factually does nothing of the sort. One could GUESS it is but there nothing that says it factually is.
    3.) the expression is i couldn't care less and yes everybody here is against driving while under the influence but the OP doesnt address that
    4.) you are welcome to this meaningless opinion

    So the facts remain the OP and stats factually failed and were debunked based on the premise in which they were presented. The only facts they provided were that more people in recent years were found to have weed in their system.

    Finally you realize the facts presented by many posters.
    I will take the state's findings over your opinions (yes, that is what they are) every time.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    there is nothing that says they weren't either. The info here tells you it is an issue. I could care less except for the people they endanger while out. Everyone of them deserves the disaster that is waiting on them.
    Of course not, that's why it's not proof. In fact if the general population increased consumption of marijuana, you would measure an increase in the number of people testing positive for pot in fatal accidents. Not because they were driving while high, but because of overall shifts in statistics.

    Could they be driving high? Yes. Should they be allowed to? No. But you have not presented anything that could count as evidence that the legalization of marijuana has led to an increase in fatal accidents caused by marijuana. In fact, all things being equal, if legalized pot led to more fatal car wrecks caused by driving while high, you'd expect an increase in the baseline number of fatalities. If, however, it is merely a statistical effect and not causing anymore accidents then you would expect the baseline measurement to remain the same. Now what do we have? Baseline staid the same. Hence the data you present is more consistent with a statistical shift in background consumption than it is with marijuana use leading to higher fatality rates.

    And that is why you fail.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And by comparison, what has been the increase in number of casual users of marijuana? Its also not insignificant that while the number of marijuana USERS has gone up, the number of alcohol related fatalities has not decreased and still far surpasses incidents where marijuana use was indicated at some point in time.

    No one is suggesting that it is safe to drive while under the influence of ANYTHING. Surely you get that...right? The reality is...more people are using and abusing substances, be it alcohol, marijuana, prescription, meds, heroin, etc.
    you misread, total fatalities down, THC fatalities up

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •