Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 173

Thread: CVS becomes first big US drugstore chain to drop tobacco

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: CVS becomes first big US drugstore chain to drop tobacco

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Even the CEO who made the decision didn't say it was about principles!
    It's always profit or principle. Everything a business does can be put into one of those 2 categories.

    If he thinks that a strong stance will entice new business that agree with his basis, then it's a profit motive.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: CVS becomes first big US drugstore chain to drop tobacco

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    It's always profit or principle. Everything a business does can be put into one of those 2 categories.

    If he thinks that a strong stance will entice new business that agree with his basis, then it's a profit motive.
    Right! The CEO (unless he also happens to be the owner of CVS) isn't going to be allowed to make such a decision based on principle, unless that is, it just happens to dovetail with profit. Otherwise principle may only be the stated reason so you get the best of both worlds. In the case of Chick-Fil-A the owners were projecting their principles at the risk of bottom line.
    Last edited by Montecresto; 02-06-14 at 12:22 PM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #93
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: CVS becomes first big US drugstore chain to drop tobacco

    What is an example of a buisness making a decision that was based on principle? When you said that I have been trying to think of an example, and cant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    It's always profit or principle. Everything a business does can be put into one of those 2 categories.

    If he thinks that a strong stance will entice new business that agree with his basis, then it's a profit motive.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: CVS becomes first big US drugstore chain to drop tobacco

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    What is an example of a buisness making a decision that was based on principle? When you said that I have been trying to think of an example, and cant.
    Let's go to Chick-Fil-A as mentioned above. They're not open on Sundays. I tend to think that their desire to "balance work and family life" (the idea behind this) counteracts with the profit motive. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't suffer a loss by opening on Sunday.

  5. #95
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: CVS becomes first big US drugstore chain to drop tobacco

    Hummm good example. I can think of no other reason to close on Sunday, and the Chruch people are his crowd too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Let's go to Chick-Fil-A as mentioned above. They're not open on Sundays. I tend to think that their desire to "balance work and family life" (the idea behind this) counteracts with the profit motive. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't suffer a loss by opening on Sunday.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  6. #96
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: CVS becomes first big US drugstore chain to drop tobacco

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    No, when taken in moderation junk food will not kill you. Smoking product however do, even when taken in moderation.
    I think you mean 'might'. Plenty of people smoke and dont die from it.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: CVS becomes first big US drugstore chain to drop tobacco

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Hummm good example. I can think of no other reason to close on Sunday, and the Chruch people are his crowd too.
    Yup, and religion tends to also align with principle (even though I disagree with the premise, usually).

    Think of private religious schools. There's a Baptist college about an hour from me that doesn't accept financial aid and, as you can imagine, can only maintain a very limited student body. Hell, the whole campus could fit inside my old school's football stadium (a little exaggeration, but really not as much as you think). They're acting on religious principle, which I imagine would really hurt their ability to make a buck by opening it to public coffers and not limiting themselves to religious alumni and rich southern conservatives who think that it's "a better education".

  8. #98
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: CVS becomes first big US drugstore chain to drop tobacco

    It was quite a long time ago when I read that the body could clean about FIVE cigarettes worth of tar and nicotine a day.
    Not that there is an average body or that I'm defending smoking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    No, when taken in moderation junk food will not kill you. Smoking product however do, even when taken in moderation.
    Though losing $2 billion in sales a year, the profit margin is said to be lower on cigarettes from what I'm listening to.
    Besides, the $2 billion is only 1.5% of total sales for CVS.
    They plan on replacing cigarettes and smoking stuff with a whole new line of healthy products designed to get off smoking .
    Physics is Phun

  9. #99
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: CVS becomes first big US drugstore chain to drop tobacco

    And you are correct that plenty of people smoke and don't die from it.
    Here in Illinois, we're real smart about driving "smokers" across state lines to casinos with loss of tax revenues.
    As if Illinois couldn't have designed a place for smokers inside.
    It is common to go by any bar on the weekends and see a crowd outside the bar puffing.
    High cig taxes have also increased the black market between Indiana and Illinois .
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    I think you mean 'might'. Plenty of people smoke and dont die from it.
    Physics is Phun

  10. #100
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: CVS becomes first big US drugstore chain to drop tobacco

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    What is an example of a buisness making a decision that was based on principle? When you said that I have been trying to think of an example, and cant.
    As a matter of current issues, if a business pulled its advertising for the Winter Olympics in Sochi, based on the Russian law related to "promotion of gays", that would be construed as a decision based on principle that could also be profitable. I can't think of any business that has pulled their advertising, however.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •