Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 129

Thread: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman[W:90]

  1. #101
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No, they were 'making excuses' for it. That's not 'clinical' in nature.
    Quote for me one of these posts.

  2. #102
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Yes but he moved to heroin. For a better high?

    That's just speculation on my part because I have zero idea why anyone, esp. of his age, would try heroin. We were taught from a very young age how dangerous and addictive heroin is.

    What a waste.
    It's the ease of getting heroin now - so called "dime bags" - for $10 anyone can get them. Pain pills are much harder to get now -restricted by DEA/FDA

    The east coast is awash in a blizzard of China White (heroin) -the stuff with the fentanyl, though the epidemic is widespread

    'An epidemic of heroin': Hoffman is a new face of growing problem - NBC News.com

    The number of heroin users in the U.S. nearly doubled in five years, to 669,000 in 2012 from 373,000 in 2007, according to statistics from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
    The number who abused or grew dependent on heroin more than doubled in 10 years to 467,000 in 2012 from 214,000 in 2002.
    But in recent years, government crackdowns on illicit use of pain medications has made pills more expensive and harder to get. "And heroin is making its way into all these places

  3. #103
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Quote for me one of these posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The very guilting and shaming in this thread is a product of ignorance and fear, and is the reason why brilliant, sensitive people like Hoffman turn to drugs in the first place, and stay on them in secret. On one hand people will acknowledge that he was a highly talented actor but it seems like a platitude because they fail to realize the kind of intimate understanding of human nature and intense empathy that these kinds of actors have in order to make them big screen material. Then they are thrown into fame and fortune, and it's too much. Societal ignorance and fear keeps these people isolated so that they feel they have to deal with their demons alone. Same thing happens with highly talented musicians all the time.

    What does it matter that he is rich and famous? That is all the more isolating. People who claim he had everything and stupidly threw it away are the kind of people who think money can buy happiness if you just have a lot of it.

    He recently lost his kids to a custody battle. That's just the kind of thing that would toss a former addict back into turmoil. Most rehab programs in the United States have a very intense anti-drug angle, otherwise they wouldn't get licensed; and people who relapse tend to be worse off because they have had new anti-drug programming put into them by rehab which makes them feel unable to reveal the relapse to anyone.

    That kind of isolation plus the low tolerance of sobriety is the perfect recipe for disaster. It's our anti-drug culture courtesy of nanny government, lack of any widespread harm reduction models, and the intense denial of addiction as DISEASE that creates the casualties. NYC doesn't even have a safe injection site with harm reduction resources. In a city that big, it's a crying shame.

    Yes PSH is personally responsible for his own actions, but you can't just peg it all on him like he was some careless derelict junkie. Mental health issues are complicated and in isolation they can be deadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    To an extent I agree, but y'know I think that there's a huge amount of insecurity in the lifestyle. Never knowing from day to day if you have a role tomorrow, if you have a role how will it be received, and the inordinate level of pressure on the actors vs others in the media making realm. If a director or an editor or some other position screws up their aspect of a media presentation, it'll still be the actor usually that takes the blame....

    I do agree that they should have the resource to get and keep their **** together, but to look at it as somehow saying that a posh life (ie materialistically satisfying) is all a person needs to be happy and well adjusted is a bit narrow minded.
    .................................................. ........
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #104
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    .................................................. ........
    Neither of them said that Hoffman's drug use was positive. If you think hypothesizing over the possible causes of drug addiction is the same thing as defending it, you'd be one hell of a drug addiction counselor.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Neither of them said that Hoffman's drug use was positive. If you think hypothesizing over the possible causes of drug addiction is the same thing as defending it, you'd be one hell of a drug addiction counselor.
    Where did I ever say the word positive? Or anything implying 'good?' I said they were making excuses for him.

    Do not put words in my mouth or change course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #106
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Where did I ever say the word positive? Or anything implying 'good?' I said they were making excuses for him.

    Do not put words in my mouth or change course.
    There are practical explanations for all manner of terrible decisions. Those explanations are not necessarily attempts to defend those decisions.

    And since the point of the thread was to honor a talented actor you are in no position to criticize anyone about "changing course."

  7. #107
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    There are practical explanations for all manner of terrible decisions. Those explanations are not necessarily attempts to defend those decisions.

    And since the point of the thread was to honor a talented actor you are in no position to criticize anyone about "changing course."
    Yes, I realize my perspective doesnt work for you. However it's valid and relevant to the direction the thread has taken. Which you would have been happy to continue had it worked out for you.

    I gave you the proof you asked for and you dismiss it and call it irrelevant.

    have a nice day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #108
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Yes, I realize my perspective doesnt work for you. However it's valid and relevant to the direction the thread has taken. Which you would have been happy to continue had it worked out for you.

    I gave you the proof you asked for and you dismiss it and call it irrelevant.

    have a nice day.
    It's not valid to go into mind reading mode and declare what people did and didn't mean to say. If you had been interested in proof you would have asked Northern Light and Summerwind if their intention had been to defend Hoffman's drug use or explain it.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It's not valid to go into mind reading mode and declare what people did and didn't mean to say. If you had been interested in proof you would have asked Northern Light and Summerwind if their intention had been to defend Hoffman's drug use or explain it.
    ????? I never asked for proof and needed zero interpretation of their posts. You ASKED me to support my claim that people had posted making excuses for his heroin use.

    I did. And you dismissed and continue to bob and weave like I had some other agenda?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #110
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    ????? I never asked for proof and needed zero interpretation of their posts. You ASKED me to support my claim that people had posted making excuses for his heroin use.

    I did. And you dismissed and continue to bob and weave like I had some other agenda?
    Of course I dismissed it! Because you came in at eleven pages, completely ignored the context of the discussion and just declared what people meant by their own words instead of asking for clarification because, as you said, you need zero proof or interpretation of their posts. Utter arrogance!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •