Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 89 of 89

Thread: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says

    Quote Originally Posted by Disputatious71 View Post
    Yeah, it's like 2/3 volunteer, but those that are not volunteer departments are more paramedic / EMT than firefighter.
    Yup. And in ultra competitive areas like CA they are going to start requiring college degrees.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,747
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Yup. And in ultra competitive areas like CA they are going to start requiring college degrees.
    Not even close to being just "competitive areas" it's pretty standard now with most professional departments requiring degrees to be promoted or even to get a raise.
    The question is more important than the answer!

  3. #83
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,888

    Re: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I remember that story. IIRC there's a long back-story to that where the homeowner spent years making trouble for the city, and the firefighters final had enough of his bull****. It wasn't just $80, he had all kinds of unpaid local taxes, fines for trash on his property, home was about to foreclose...the $80 was just one of many things he didn't pay. That guy was an asshole.
    So you support emergency support personnel making moral judgements on someones character thus determining who they will or will not assist then?

    Police Officers refusing to render assistance to someone in need because of a past history.
    Paramedics refusing to render life saving techniques to a driver involved in a MVA accident because he smells like a brewery.
    Firefighters standing idly by with all of their equipment by their side because someone didn't pay their $75 bill and may be an asshole.

    Perhaps they need to find another job. They're a disgrace to their profession.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    So you support emergency support personnel making moral judgements on someones character thus determining who they will or will not assist then?

    Police Officers refusing to render assistance to someone in need because of a past history.
    Paramedics refusing to render life saving techniques to a driver involved in a MVA accident because he smells like a brewery.
    Firefighters standing idly by with all of their equipment by their side because someone didn't pay their $75 bill and may be an asshole.

    Perhaps they need to find another job. They're a disgrace to their profession.
    I think there comes a point where if you make yourself enough of a nuisance, someone will get fed up and do something about you. Right or wrong, someone will eventually act (or in this case, not act). I think that's human nature. What I do or do not support is totally irrelevant.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    So you support emergency support personnel making moral judgements on someones character thus determining who they will or will not assist then?

    Police Officers refusing to render assistance to someone in need because of a past history.
    Paramedics refusing to render life saving techniques to a driver involved in a MVA accident because he smells like a brewery.
    Firefighters standing idly by with all of their equipment by their side because someone didn't pay their $75 bill and may be an asshole.

    Perhaps they need to find another job. They're a disgrace to their profession.
    You dont know what happened here, the facts of the case are not known. Its a shame you haven't reserved judgement.

  6. #86
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,888

    Re: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says

    UPDATED DC lieutenant finally put on desk duty - Firehouse receiving death threats | Statter911

    There is new information about the investigation of a man who had a heart attack right across from a D.C. firehouse. Cecil Mills collapsed in Northeast D.C. on Saturday and later died. People were screaming for help, but no one from the firehouse responded. Now FOX 5 has learned the lieutenant in charge of that firehouse appears to be throwing one of her own under the bus. The lieutenant’s name is Kellene Davis. She has been removed from command.

    She wrote a letter to Fire Chief Kenneth Ellerbe. In it, she is blaming the whole thing on a firefighter who she says disobeyed her command. On Thursday, we got our hands on a letter Lt. Davis sent to Chief Ellerbe which she titled an “Unusual Occurrence.”

    Snip -

    Mayor Vincent Gray has promised a quick conclusion to the investigation. He says he was outraged by the firefighters’ behavior.
    You can see the full statement from lieutenant Davis at the link provided.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,813

    Re: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Hard to get your head around that.

    Reminds me of the story i saw here a couple of years ago where firefighters made the effort to attend the burning home of someone who hadn't paid their $80 taxes - or some ridiculously low amount. They stood there and watched his house burn to the ground. Yeah i know, the homeowner messed up, he didn't pay that $80 bucks. Still the firefighters took the time to go there and stood and watched it burn. How about put out the fire and get the $80 later. Common sense prevails. How any firefighter or someone trained in life saving techniques can just stand there and do nothing is beyond me.

    Firefighters put out fires and administer life saving techniques to those that require them. At least that's what they're trained to do until idiotic rules come into play.
    In that case, the homeowner didnt 'mess up,' he chose not to pay for the service and knew what the consequences might be. The firefighters showed up to protect the surrounding homes where the owners did pay.

    Those arent idiotic rules, in some places taxes do not pay for, or cover all, emergency services. This person had what many of us wish we had...the ability to opt out of a 'tax'. In this case it's actually paying for a service but for most of us, it's a tax.

    But if you make that choice, then why should you expect a different result?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #88
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says - CNN.com

    If this is actually what happened......

    Emergency Response can't respond without a "proper 911" call????

    They can't walk/run across the street????
    I posted on this particular incident early on, but, as I just saw it go by, it reminded me of an incident many years ago. Our neighbors called 911 for the house next door to us. Smoke coming from a small cracked window. An 70-something-year-old lady lived there alone. They wouldn't go into the house when they first arrived....they had to wait for the Chief. Took him another 10-15 minutes to get there.

    They found her on the floor by the front door. She died of smoke inhalation. Did that 10-15 minutes make a difference? Don't know.

  9. #89
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says

    [QUOTE=MaggieD;1062863961]
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post

    Unions have silly rules. So do government bureaucracies. Either one of these two things was responsible or some firefighters should lose their jobs.
    The article said the union said it shouldnt have happened and the government said there were no rules against it. So that leaves the firefighters.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •