Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 362

Thread: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

  1. #71
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,590
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm a free-thinking man free of the burden of any borders.

    I believe what my logic and reasoning lead me to believe. And that is, there are times that double jeopardy is just fine.

    What if you try someone for murder and they're found innocent, but later new evidence arises.... a new witness, new DNA techniques, something of that ilk... so that you're now fairly certain the killer went free.

    In such a case, it's my opinion that there should be a re-trial.

    Now that said, you shouldn't be able to re-try over and over again on the same evidence. That would lead to witch hunts. But there are times when it is appropriate.
    I see. All right, what exactly is that "new" evidence that the Italian authorities have suddenly discovered? Please, share your knowledge and information with us.

  2. #72
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    As an American, I'll be the first to admit that our justice system is a joke. I'm not a fan. I also think patriotism is retarded.

    However, I don't know a thing about the Italian justice system so I can't say if it's any better or worse. I'm honestly not interested in knowing either because it's not something that will ever affect me.

    Also, for anyone to be bitching about America not extraditing this woman when you have Roman Polanski sitting in France sipping wine is hypocritical.

    What we need to do, and this goes for both the Europeans and Americans, is quit doing our "ra ra" patriotism gig, and quit refusing to extradite criminals because we believe our own courts are superior to everyone else's.

    I have no time for that.

    What we need to do is worry about getting to the truth. Did Polansky rape a 13 year old girl? Yes, so he should be punished. Simple. Did this Amanda Knox kill someone in Italy? I don't know. If she didn't, don't send her back. If she did, then she needs to be in jail and not in a safe haven.
    Can't argue with your comments - I don't think anyone knows the "truth" as to what happened with Amanda Knox and her roommates that night - the case was handled poorly. My comments were simply related to the international laws and processes for detaining and extraditing people convicted or charged in other countries.

    With Polanski, if I'm not mistaken, he had/has dual citizenship in the US and France, so the French were protecting him - protecting their citizen - similar to how the US will no doubt protect Knox - but Polanski was detained in Switzerland, I think, where he had a home and where he travelled frequently - I'm not sure why they detained him last year after letting him travel freely for decades, but I guess the US reissued the request.

    Personally, I think the American justice system is very fair to those accused but a little to harsh when it comes to punishment. The Italian system seems a little odd but I don't know the details. As for "double jeopardy", I'm pretty sure in Canada if there are errors in a trial, the prosecution can retry the case even if an accused was acquitted, so that part isn't uncommon.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #73
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Please provide a link about US soldiers who are in custody in Italy on such charges.



    You are mistaken. Polanski drugged and raped an underage girl. He pleaded guilty, then escaped the country before he was sentenced, so the excuse that he "got more time than he bargained for" is totally bogus, since he was long gone before any sentence was pronounced.

    American justice may suck, as you consistently opine, but unlike Italy, we don't retry people time after time after time until we get the verdict that we want. Once a person is acquitted, jeopardy applies and that person cannot be tried for that crime ever again. Italy apparently can retry people until they are happy with the outcome, no matter how many trials they must have in order to get that outcome.

    Anything else about how horrible American justice is that you'd like to fling at the wall in the hope that it sticks?
    Sorry to bust your agenda bubble and ruin your screed against me, but I didn't "opine" that the US justice system sucks even if you imagined I did.

    Secondly, my apologies - it wasn't US soldiers, it was US CIA agents who kidnapped the Egyptian cleric in Italy - BBC News - Italy upholds verdict on CIA agents in rendition case

    Finally, I know what Polanski did - what's often confused is what happened at his trial and his subsequent flight to France - here's a recap from Wiki Roman Polanski sexual abuse case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - you can accept it or dismiss it as you choose - however, it does uphold what I posted related to Polanski's trial/conviction/sentence.

    Whatever burr you have in your butt isn't appreciated or welcomed.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #74
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,590
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Sorry to bust your agenda bubble and ruin your screed against me, but I didn't "opine" that the US justice system sucks even if you imagined I did.

    Secondly, my apologies - it wasn't US soldiers, it was US CIA agents who kidnapped the Egyptian cleric in Italy - BBC News - Italy upholds verdict on CIA agents in rendition case
    So in fact, no Americans are "in custody" for kidnapping an Egyptian cleric in Italy. You... were mistaken.

    Finally, I know what Polanski did - what's often confused is what happened at his trial and his subsequent flight to France - here's a recap from Wiki Roman Polanski sexual abuse case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - you can accept it or dismiss it as you choose - however, it does uphold what I posted related to Polanski's trial/conviction/sentence.
    First, you have offered no link to support your contention. Second, I have offered a link which supports that Polanski had no trial, because he pleaded guilty to the charges! Roman Polanski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia So there was no trial/conviction/sentence... because he pleaded guilty to drugging and raping a 13-yr-old girl, then fled the country before his sentence could be imposed.

    Whatever burr you have in your butt isn't appreciated or welcomed.
    Wow. Is that a personal attack because you cannot refute the facts I have presented to you? Hmm. It seems so to me.

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Yep, if a European country were to block an extradition process like that the American government would not be happy.
    Okay, I understand.
    And I wondered about that. Populations get rather emotional, when the question of extradition of nationals is concerned. Often the treaties do not allow it or only for certain crimes and circumstance. This certainly is true of German law in some situations and in the case of Russia. I suspect the same might be true of the US.

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Here's an excellent article that reintroduces us to the forgotten element of the case - the victim.

    I have a feeling about the guilt or innocence of Solecito and Knox, but as this article points out, I, and those others with strong opinions on the matter, may need to identify where those feelings are coming from.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    The Polanski case is totally different since the victim in that case forgave Polanski and wanted the charged against him dropped, however the brain-starved loony CA DA wanted to drag out the saga again anyway, forcing Samantha to testify and re-live the whole thing even though she wanted nothing to do w/it.
    Irrelevant. The guy already confessed to it and plead guilty.

    Besides, last I knew lots of people still get charged with crimes regardless if the victim wants to let it go or not. And child rape should never be let go.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #78
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    I remember a case where someone in the US killed a woman and escaped to Europe. He was arraigned, skipped bail and later tried in absentia and sentenced to life in prison without parole. He was later found in France. The French courts ruled that he could not be extradited to the US because he could be subject to the death penalty even though he was already sentenced to life without parole. They invented law in the US that doesn't exist.

    Ira Einhorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  9. #79
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I remember a case where someone in the US killed a woman and escaped to Europe. He was arraigned, skipped bail and later tried in absentia and sentenced to life in prison without parole. He was later found in France. The French courts ruled that he could not be extradited to the US because he could be subject to the death penalty even though he was already sentenced to life without parole. They invented law in the US that doesn't exist.

    Ira Einhorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And yet, after just 4 years of legal proceedings, he was extradited back to the US. What's your point in reminding us of this case?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  10. #80
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    And yet, after just 4 years of legal proceedings, he was extradited back to the US. What's your point in reminding us of this case?
    Trials of foreign nationals can be very complex with legal principles in both countries being applied. Well, except in the case of Einhorn who wasn't going to be extradited because of the death penalty in the US which could not have been applied because Pennsylvania didn't have the death penalty.

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •