Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 362

Thread: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

  1. #351
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    You can read the article from 'The Telegraph' (London) yourself -

    What next for Amanda Knox? - Telegraph
    It's as I said. Posting the same thing isn't going to change that.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #352
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Switzerland detained him on the warrant issued by the US but refused to extradite him and released him - he returned to France - the French refuse to even detain him. Polanski had dual French/American citizenship at the time of the crime. If you have dual French/American citizenship, then yes, you're as French as Polanski is.
    All of that is very interesting, but he's still a child raper.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  3. #353
    Professor
    Chatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Britain
    Last Seen
    07-14-14 @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's as I said. Posting the same thing isn't going to change that.
    Under the US extradition treaty with Italy, double jeopardy is not a valid reason to deny extradition; plus, there's precedent: In 1997, the US extradited a man to Turkey even though he had been convicted of rape only on appeal.

    Quote Originally Posted by New Rupublic

    What actually happened in Knox’s apartment on the night of November 1, 2007 will always be a tragic and fascinating question, but if and when she comes before a U.S. magistrate judge to challenge her extradition, the facts of the case will not matter. According to Jacques Semmelman, a New York-based attorney and leading extradition expert, her conviction in Italian court provides “abundant probable cause” to conclude she is guilty of murder.

    The idea that double jeopardy could prevent Knox’s extradition, first popularized in the U.S. media after her retrial was announced in 2013, is also suspect. The current extradition treaty between Italy and the U.S. does not list double jeopardy within the country requesting extradition—i.e., Italy in this case—as a grounds for denying extradition.

    Knox’s American lawyers could still claim that her extradition is unconstitutional, but according to Washington-based extradition lawyer Bruce Zagaris, “When a requesting country reverses the acquittal and enters a judgment of conviction, U.S. courts have held that there is no constitutional or statutory bar to the U.S. granting extradition.” Semmelman agrees that a double jeopardy defense would likely fail in Knox’s case, citing a 1997 case in which the U.S. extradited a man to Turkey despite the fact that he was convicted of rape in Turkey only after an appeal.

    Assuming Knox’s legal recourses fail, her only hope to avoid extradition would be an intercession by the U.S. Secretary of State, who has final approval over all extradition requests. However, it’s hard to see why John Kerry or future Secretaries of State would take such a large risk merely to protect an American citizen from a prison sentence abroad. Knox may have become a cause célèbre in the United States, but she is unpopular in Italy, where polls show a majority of Italians believe she is guilty.

    No matter what the Italian Supreme Court’s ultimate decision, it will be viewed with scorn. No new evidence is likely to surface and the various factions for and against Knox have come to their own conclusions long ago. Still, extradition treaties require that we respect the rulings of foreign courts within clearly deliniated parameters. Moreover, the special relationship cultivated between longstanding allies has to take precedence over individual doubts. When news outlets lose sight of that and instead speculate on what country Knox could escape to, it is unclear what kind of world they are rooting for.

    Amanda Knox Extradition Should Be Granted | New Republic
    Last edited by Chatter; 02-06-14 at 04:38 PM.

  4. #354
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,176

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    All of that is very interesting, but he's still a child raper.
    I've never said otherwise.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #355
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Honestly, all I care about is Solletica. Knox won't be extradited, but he will suffer due to the effort to politicise this and may end up serving a longer sentence than the guy to which is there is absolutely no doubt was involved. Sad.

  6. #356
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    It's exactly as I've said thank you. Double jeopardy can be used to demonstrate miscarriage of justice, which is allowed as a means to deny extradition. It would be rather difficult to pull off, the US may just rather turn her over than fight it; but it's not a forgone conclusion that the US couldn't fight it. If depression and suicidal thoughts can be used as justification against extradition, there are many arguments that can be made.

    Tough, but not I.possible. just as I stated earlier. Thanks for demonstrating that I'm correct, that's very sporting of you.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #357
    Professor
    Chatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Britain
    Last Seen
    07-14-14 @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's exactly as I've said thank you. Double jeopardy can be used to demonstrate miscarriage of justice, which is allowed as a means to deny extradition. It would be rather difficult to pull off, the US may just rather turn her over than fight it; but it's not a forgone conclusion that the US couldn't fight it. If depression and suicidal thoughts can be used as justification against extradition, there are many arguments that can be made.

    Tough, but not I.possible. just as I stated earlier. Thanks for demonstrating that I'm correct, that's very sporting of you.
    Do you actually bother to read anything I post.

    Under the US extradition treaty with Italy, double jeopardy is not a valid reason to deny extradition; plus, there's precedent: In 1997, the US extradited a man to Turkey even though he had been convicted of rape only on appeal.

    Quote Originally Posted by New Republic

    What actually happened in Knox’s apartment on the night of November 1, 2007 will always be a tragic and fascinating question, but if and when she comes before a U.S. magistrate judge to challenge her extradition, the facts of the case will not matter. According to Jacques Semmelman, a New York-based attorney and leading extradition expert, her conviction in Italian court provides “abundant probable cause” to conclude she is guilty of murder.

    The idea that double jeopardy could prevent Knox’s extradition, first popularized in the U.S. media after her retrial was announced in 2013, is also suspect. The current extradition treaty between Italy and the U.S. does not list double jeopardy within the country requesting extradition—i.e., Italy in this case—as a grounds for denying extradition.

    Knox’s American lawyers could still claim that her extradition is unconstitutional, but according to Washington-based extradition lawyer Bruce Zagaris, “When a requesting country reverses the acquittal and enters a judgment of conviction, U.S. courts have held that there is no constitutional or statutory bar to the U.S. granting extradition.” Semmelman agrees that a double jeopardy defense would likely fail in Knox’s case, citing a 1997 case in which the U.S. extradited a man to Turkey despite the fact that he was convicted of rape in Turkey only after an appeal.

    Assuming Knox’s legal recourses fail, her only hope to avoid extradition would be an intercession by the U.S. Secretary of State, who has final approval over all extradition requests. However, it’s hard to see why John Kerry or future Secretaries of State would take such a large risk merely to protect an American citizen from a prison sentence abroad. Knox may have become a cause célèbre in the United States, but she is unpopular in Italy, where polls show a majority of Italians believe she is guilty.

    No matter what the Italian Supreme Court’s ultimate decision, it will be viewed with scorn. No new evidence is likely to surface and the various factions for and against Knox have come to their own conclusions long ago. Still, extradition treaties require that we respect the rulings of foreign courts within clearly deliniated parameters. Moreover, the special relationship cultivated between longstanding allies has to take precedence over individual doubts. When news outlets lose sight of that and instead speculate on what country Knox could escape to, it is unclear what kind of world they are rooting for.

    Amanda Knox Extradition Should Be Granted | New Republic

  8. #358
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,647

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    I highly doubt the Italians will push hard for extradition. I think they mostly wanted to get the conviction so that the prosecutor will remain, "undefeated."

    This has never been about justice. It's all about ego and politics.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #359
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I highly doubt the Italians will push hard for extradition. I think they mostly wanted to get the conviction so that the prosecutor will remain, "undefeated."

    This has never been about justice. It's all about ego and politics.
    The Italian government might relish it. Comes in handy the next time someone needs to be extradited from Italy.

  10. #360
    Professor
    Chatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Britain
    Last Seen
    07-14-14 @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I highly doubt the Italians will push hard for extradition. I think they mostly wanted to get the conviction so that the prosecutor will remain, "undefeated."

    This has never been about justice. It's all about ego and politics.
    I think you are mistaken and I think Britain will also push for extradition to Italy if she is found guilty.

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •