Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 362

Thread: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Irrelevant. The guy already confessed to it and plead guilty.

    Besides, last I knew lots of people still get charged with crimes regardless if the victim wants to let it go or not.
    Indeed, they get charged by idiot prosecutors who waste $$ and time when there other millions of cases (where the victim wants justice) to be prosecuted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And child rape should never be let go.
    That's why the victim's wishes must be respected, instead of dragging her through another nightmare.

  2. #92
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,217

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    politics, pure politics. The Italian decision said there was additional evidence NOT presented to the jury that if the JURY heard it would support conviction.

    I handled a hundred+ serious federal criminal appeals. The rights American defendants have is far far higher than what goes on in most countries. Is our system perfect-of course not, but federal defendants whom were pretty obviously guilty have walked dozens of times because the Courts prevent the DOJ from presenting all the evidence etc
    That was all under the corrupt American system, and therefore irrelevant..
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  3. #93
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,573

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian court - CNN.com

    apparently she was sentenced to 28.5 years

    of course she isn't in Italy

    I think the verdict is more of a condemnation of the laughably inept, corrupt and completely dysfunctional Italian justice system.

    One former prosecutor doubts the USA would grant extradition given the double jeopardy argument


    I followed this trial pretty closely and read numerous reviews. Based on what I learned, I would have "Rule 29'd" the case. (meaning grant the defense a directed verdict at the close of the prosecution case). The Prosecution was a joke in this matter
    I like one of the comments at the bottom of the article that really says it all:

    A country that imprisons earthquake scientists for manslaughter for failing to predict an earthquake cannot really be taken too seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #94
    Professor
    Chatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Britain
    Last Seen
    07-14-14 @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    It's being suggested by some News Sources today that Knox will be extradited from the US to Italy, should the Italians request extradition.???

    US Legal experts have already made it clear that the United States entered into an extradition treaty with Italy and, in doing so, accepted Italy's criminal justice system. Failure to extradite Knox may have implications for the treaty as a whole. However the case is going back to Italy's Court of Appeal for a final time, and extradition will not be sought just yet.

    Amanda Knox 'Will Be Extradited By US'

    Amanda Knox 'would have to be handed over to Italy' if appeal fails | Mail Online

    The US Will Extradite Amanda Knox To Italy - Business Insider

    The BBC Review the evidence in respect of the Meredith Kercher murder case here -

    BBC News - Amanda Knox appeal: Reviewing the murder case evidence

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    For people who come from free countries, the US is indeed like a prison.
    Could you enlighten me as to which, in the wacky world of Libertarians, are the 'free' countries? Would those be the ones with no government - like, say, Somalia?
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  6. #96
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    So in fact, no Americans are "in custody" for kidnapping an Egyptian cleric in Italy. You... were mistaken.



    First, you have offered no link to support your contention. Second, I have offered a link which supports that Polanski had no trial, because he pleaded guilty to the charges! Roman Polanski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia So there was no trial/conviction/sentence... because he pleaded guilty to drugging and raping a 13-yr-old girl, then fled the country before his sentence could be imposed.



    Wow. Is that a personal attack because you cannot refute the facts I have presented to you? Hmm. It seems so to me.
    In what universe? You attack me, falsely, claiming I "consistently opine" that American justice sucks, with zero evidence to back up your personal attack on me and when I call you on it you claim I'm personally attacking you - bait much??

    Secondly, I didn't claim that soldiers were in custody - I asked the question "aren't there soldiers in custody?" - there's a difference you might not understand. In my second response to you I did correct it to CIA agents rather than soldiers - I find it remarkable that you wouldn't have even heard about the incident.

    As for Polanski, the outcome was as I stated - he pled guilty to a lesser charge - not "charges", as you falsely claim - he did not, as you falsely claim, plead guilty to "drugging and raping a 13-yr-old girl" - he pled guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse - a far different an far lesser charge - and after pre-sentencing evaluation, in which all parties recommended probation, his lawyers were informed, by the judge, that his sentence would include jail time and deportation so he fled.

    So we can play semantic games and we can play "gotcha" if you want - the basic facts and outcomes are the same. Had your purpose been a discussion of the issues rather than a blatant attack on me personally, that would have been evident.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    But they got a conviction the first time around... and all that is in the appeal process now, with the first appeal freeing her on technicalities but the second appeal agreeing with the original conviction.
    Plus, she's an American! Reason enough to haul her ass to jail, right Pete?
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #98
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    As an American, I'll be the first to admit that our justice system is a joke. I'm not a fan. I also think patriotism is retarded.

    However, I don't know a thing about the Italian justice system so I can't say if it's any better or worse. I'm honestly not interested in knowing either because it's not something that will ever affect me.

    Also, for anyone to be bitching about America not extraditing this woman when you have Roman Polanski sitting in France sipping wine is hypocritical.

    What we need to do, and this goes for both the Europeans and Americans, is quit doing our "ra ra" patriotism gig, and quit refusing to extradite criminals because we believe our own courts are superior to everyone else's.

    I have no time for that.

    What we need to do is worry about getting to the truth. Did Polansky rape a 13 year old girl? Yes, so he should be punished. Simple.
    It's not that simple--punishment is inappropriate if the victim of a rape doesn't ask for it. Samantha doesn't want Polanski to be punished anymore, and doesn't want to relive any of that event so that's that.

    The Swiss were wise and respected her wishes, while some loons in the US wanted a show trial to get the CA DA some international publicity.

    Polanski himself can't be too critical of the US justice system, however, considering Manson is behind bars for life.

  9. #99
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Plus, she's an American! Reason enough to haul her ass to jail, right Pete?
    Totally irrelevant what nationality she is. Her then boyfriend also got convicted and is in custody. The victim was British, why no compassion for her and her family?
    PeteEU

  10. #100
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,876
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian Court

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I like one of the comments at the bottom of the article that really says it all:
    Damnit Rabid, I was going to post that. :P
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •