Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 333

Thread: Transcript: Obama's State Of The Union Address 2014

  1. #271
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Transcript: Obama's State Of The Union Address 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by PMZ View Post
    Why would someone who believes as you do choose to live here? I just don't understand
    I think that question more aptly applies to you. Conservative's views more closely resemble the founding principles of this country.

  2. #272
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: Transcript: Obama's State Of The Union Address 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by PMZ View Post
    Why would someone who believes as you do choose to live here? I just don't understand

    I live in TX, the number one Red state, best move I ever made in 1992. I always took personal responsibility for my own choices and my own mistakes. Too bad others never took that responsibility and now expect the govt. to bail them out for poor choices, whether it be dead end jobs, health insurance, wages making personal responsibility a lost trait for far too many.

  3. #273
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Transcript: Obama's State Of The Union Address 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Pero, do you agree with the numbers cited in the Gallup poll? Some, such as immigration, seem a little bit out of line to me. And why does Obama want to use bonds for his MyRa? Smart investors are getting out of bonds, from what I've read. Aren't other countries not buying what they used to? Maybe not, since they are getting anxious about our inability to cut spending.
    I haven't read three specifics concerning the myRA program, but I can understand why a long-term retirement program would be backed by gov't bonds. Treasury bonds are still considered secure, long term investments backed by "the full faith and credit of the U.S. (Treasury)". The only way that faith is shaken is if Congress violates their oath to Art. 1, Section 8 to the Constitution. Yes, I realize this applies moreso to our ability to borrow money from foreign gov'ts, but anything Congress does to shake "investor confidance" can have an adverse affect on our free market ecomony.

    There's also the potential to transfers of our long-term debt obligations from "foreign" investers to "domestic" investors. More specifically, such a program could mean more of this nation's citizens are able to participate in the prosperity of this nation in a way many can't today. Old course, the FedResv would have to raise interest rates to make bonds far more attractive than they are now, but such a domestic program could be attractive to a new breed of investors much as war bonds did for the Greatest Generation.

  4. #274
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,145

    Re: Transcript: Obama's State Of The Union Address 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Well there you have it, we are living in great economic times with excellent economic results. The BEA,BLS, and Treasury numbers lie. Please post for me the location that captures saved jobs? States weren't even given the opportunity to save their own state jobs but you willing give Obama credit. Such low standards you have

    The Five Biggest Failures From President Obama's Stimulus Law - US News

    How the $800B stimulus failed | New York Post
    The BEA,BLS numbers do not lie. However, in holding those up against the prevailing wisdom of three dozen of our nation's foremost economists you are boldly declaring that what makes a stimulus work is defined by you.... You are entitled to your opinion, but the challenge to Kobie was as to his basis for saying it did work. In that regard, I gave you overwhelming support for the proposition that the stimulus worked.

    Bear in mind that the stimulus had two essential functions: 1) to stop the downward spiral and 2) to lay the ground work for the economy to rebuild. A stimulus does not, in and of itself, return an economy to prosperity. You are hung up on the fact that the economy is not prosperous. Well, in many respects it is... but we achieved an uneven recovery (proving that a "rising tide does not life all boats; only the yachts"). That is another debate.

    I challenged you to defend you claim that it did not. You did produce some evidence to support your opinion. Thank you, you are miles ahead of your conservative peers in being able to defend you position.... I do respect that you bring facts to the equation (I just quibble with how you chose to interpret the facts, but at least you bring them)......

    I present 9 studies, a University of Chicago poll of more than three dozen of the nations top economists and a CBO report. All of this work by economists, You counter with a US News article by Reince Priebus (who offers point number 5 for why the stimulus failed was that we do not have 5 million electric cars on the road... really?) and an opinion piece in the New York Post. OK, so you have produced other lay people that are writing their politics, not economics. While I agree with many of the points of the Post article, it doesn't say the stimulus failed, it says money was distributed wrong...

    Anyway, I like my experts over you politicians. I'll put a point in my column on this one.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 02-02-14 at 06:21 PM.

  5. #275
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    02-08-14 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    2,124

    Re: Transcript: Obama's State Of The Union Address 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I think that question more aptly applies to you. Conservative's views more closely resemble the founding principles of this country.
    You mean the principles that we, the people, amended our way away from like plutocracy and slavery?

  6. #276
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    02-08-14 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    2,124

    Re: Transcript: Obama's State Of The Union Address 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I live in TX, the number one Red state, best move I ever made in 1992. I always took personal responsibility for my own choices and my own mistakes. Too bad others never took that responsibility and now expect the govt. to bail them out for poor choices, whether it be dead end jobs, health insurance, wages making personal responsibility a lost trait for far too many.
    I doubt if Rick Perry knows it but Texas is one of these United States. The government that you love to hate.

  7. #277
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: Transcript: Obama's State Of The Union Address 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    The BEA,BLS numbers do not lie. However, in holding those up against the prevailing wisdom of three dozen of our nation's foremost economists you are boldly declaring that what makes a stimulus work is defined by you.... You are entitled to your opinion, but the challenge to Kobie was as to his basis for saying it did work. In that regard, I gave you overwhelming support for the proposition that the stimulus worked.

    Bear in mind that the stimulus had two essential functions: 1) to stop the downward spiral and 2) to lay the ground work for the economy to rebuild. A stimulus does not, in and of itself, return an economy to prosperity. You are hung up on the fact that the economy is not prosperous. Well, in many respects it is... but we achieved an uneven recovery (proving that a "rising tide does not life all boats; only the yachts"). That is another debate.

    I challenged you to defend you claim that it did not. You did produce some evidence to support your opinion. Thank you, you are miles ahead of your conservative peers in being able to defend you position.... I do respect that you bring facts to the equation (I just quibble with how you chose to interpret the facts, but at least you bring them)......

    I present 9 studies, a University of Chicago poll of more than three dozen of the nations top economists and a CBO report. All of this work by economists, You counter with a US News article by Reince Priebus (who offers point number 5 for why the stimulus failed was that we do not have 5 million electric cars on the road... really?) and an opinion piece in the New York Post. OK, so you have produced other lay people that are writing their politics, not economics. While I agree with many of the points of the Post article, it doesn't say the stimulus failed, it says money was distributed wrong...

    Anyway, I like my experts over you politicians. I'll put a point in my column on this one.
    You don't seem to get it, but the recession ended in June 2009 long before those shovels ever got to those shovel ready jobs. The economy began the turnaround after TARP. Economists give their opinions, BEA and BLS present the facts. You want badly to believe Obama did something he really didn't do and the question is why? Shovels still haven't gotten to those sites around the country and apparently that fact escapes you

    Seems you have the same credibility as your so called experts. You do realize that I an post articles from other experts that disagree with you. You want data but have yet to show how the stimulus did what you claim it did in the time to bring us out of recession in June 2009. I await your response

  8. #278
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Transcript: Obama's State Of The Union Address 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I haven't read the specifics concerning the myRA program, but I can understand why such a long-term retirement program would be backed by gov't bonds.

    Treasury bonds are still considered secure, long term investments backed by "the full faith and credit of the U.S. (Treasury)". The only way that faith is shaken is if Congress violates their oath to Art. 1, Section 8 to the Constitution. Yes, I realize this applies moreso to our ability to borrow money from foreign gov'ts, but anything Congress does to shake "investor confidance" can have an adverse affect on our free market ecomony.

    There's also the potential to transfer our long-term debt obligations from "foreign" investers to "domestic" investors. More specifically, such a program could mean that more of this nation's citizens are able to participate in the prosperity of this nation in a way many can't today. Old course, the FedResv would have to raise interest rates to make bonds far more attractive than they are now, but such a domestic program could be attractive to a new breed of investors much as war bonds did for the Greatest Generation.
    Red = edits.

    I gotta start doing a better job of editing my posts before sending them from my cellphone.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  9. #279
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: Transcript: Obama's State Of The Union Address 2014

    The facts about the Obama economic results and the stimulus.

    President Obama's Smashing Success Story: Greatly Increasing The Power Of Government - Forbes

  10. #280
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    02-08-14 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    2,124

    Re: Transcript: Obama's State Of The Union Address 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Apparently you and Forbes believe that 2009 was a fine year and we should have continued letting the country fall apart.

    I know that many enemies of America agree with that.

    But those of us in favor of an America, successful for everyone, don't.

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •