Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 501

Thread: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi [W:185]

  1. #251
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,634

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Oh, the poor, poor billionaires! They're so much like the Jews in Nazi Germany, being persecuted and all, rounded up and put into concentration camps where they're starved, worked to death, and gassed.

    I feel so sorry for them, and have so much empathy, I'd be glad to join them just any time and feel their pain.

    What a crock.
    that sort of attitude is poisonous and tends to be applied to anyone more successful than whatever rabble is spewing such sentiments



  2. #252
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,033

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    My only disagreement with what you've presented here is that there really is no comparison between the "campaigns" of political parties and government leaders to the "ratings campaigns" of private television. Now, if you were talking about government funded television, I'd agree with you.

    My point simply was that any references to Nazis is wasted energy because by doing so you dismiss your argument before it even gets a chance to set down roots. Say the word Nazis and the tskers come out in droves to shout you down, regardless of any validity your argument may possess.
    As well they should be dismissed because it's lazy, facile thinking. Arguments should be made on their own merits rather than comparing something to a point in Germany's history that is shared by every other country nearly 24/7.

  3. #253
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,166

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Perhaps you'd be kind enough to show me where in the gentleman's argument he compared people paying higher taxes to the holocaust. In fact, I don't believe he mentioned either taxes or the holocaust.
    Of course not. Instead he alludes to the connection. The "progressive war on the American one percent". What war is that? All progressives have asked for is higher tax rates at the top. He ends with "Krisallnacht was unthinkable in 1930; is its descendant "progressive" radicalism unthinkable now?"
    Uhhh.....Krisallnacht is usually considered a major turning point in the Holocaust. With the sanction of the government mistreatment of the Jews became violent.

    There's are countless examples Perkins could of made to the apparent "plight" of the rich in America. Of course I'm sure more valid comparisons aren't nearly as sympathetic as the Jews in Nazi Germany.

    This is, unwittingly on your part, proof of my argument.
    I never said once that I don't have a knee jerk reaction to discount comparisons to the holocaust. For one it's lazy. In world history there are plenty of examples that are generally more valid than genocide/treatment of the Jews. For another it's connecting the plight of whatever group you're in or whatever you're experiencing to the plight of the Jews. Which...unless you're sitting in a concentration camp demeans the Holocaust and means you probably need some perspective.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  4. #254
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Of course not. Instead he alludes to the connection. The "progressive war on the American one percent". What war is that? All progressives have asked for is higher tax rates at the top. He ends with "Krisallnacht was unthinkable in 1930; is its descendant "progressive" radicalism unthinkable now?"
    Uhhh.....Krisallnacht is usually considered a major turning point in the Holocaust. With the sanction of the government mistreatment of the Jews became violent.

    There's are countless examples Perkins could of made to the apparent "plight" of the rich in America. Of course I'm sure more valid comparisons aren't nearly as sympathetic as the Jews in Nazi Germany.


    I never said once that I don't have a knee jerk reaction to discount comparisons to the holocaust. For one it's lazy. In world history there are plenty of examples that are generally more valid than genocide/treatment of the Jews. For another it's connecting the plight of whatever group you're in or whatever you're experiencing to the plight of the Jews. Which...unless you're sitting in a concentration camp demeans the Holocaust and means you probably need some perspective.
    You misunderstood - I have no problem with you reacting badly to comparisons to the holocaust - no one of sound mind wouldn't. I question why the knee-jerk reaction to the word Nazi is automatically the holocaust. But there's no sense in prolonging the argument - we are unlikely to agree.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #255
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    As well they should be dismissed because it's lazy, facile thinking. Arguments should be made on their own merits rather than comparing something to a point in Germany's history that is shared by every other country nearly 24/7.
    In my view, it's "lazy, facile thinking" to reject an argument without ever examining its validity solely on the basis of the comparison.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #256
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Moderator's Warning:
    Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi [W:185]When people are clearly trolling I suggest people DON'T RESPOND TO THEM and simply report the post. If you continue to respond to them and their trolling, contributing to the derailment of a thread and going off topic, you too may find yourself with moderator action as well. Now, lets proceed without picture trolling

  7. #257
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-30-17 @ 05:25 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    61

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I can't say I agree with him fully, although, there is something in the air concerning progressives that is disconcerting to say the least...The outright hate for those who have made lots of money, rooted in mostly jealous rage could boil over, but I don't think we are there now...What he says is spot on though.
    You misunderstand us. We don't hate the wealthy. We genuinely admire those who have a great idea (as long as it's not evil) and profit from it. We do believe, though, that it's impossible to earn more than a certain amount. Beyond that it's not earned income, it's a windfall. We even still believe that they should be able to keep an admirable chunk of this windfall. But it should be taxed quite heavily.

    The reason for that is that we realize that having more and more of society's wealth concentrated into fewer and fewer hands wil --and must-- undermine society. We insist, therefore, on some effective societal mechanism for redistribution. "Trickle down" is not too bad a way to put it. We just don't trust those with the wealth to control the 'valve'. Not that they're evil by definition. They're simply not objective about it. (We'd have the same problem if we were in their shoes)

    We don't hate. We're not conducting warfare. We merely recognize that the wealth must be spread and must be spread deliberately. Not all of it. Not at all. A certain percentage? Yes.

    And if anyone asks me to name that percentage, I won't do it. It's not up to me. I'm not competent to calculate it.

  8. #258
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What exactly don't you understand about the build up before the concentration camps, and the murder, and the demonetization that took place before anyone that was killed? It has been explained a few times in the thread...I suggest you go back and re read, then maybe you can discuss the subject intelligently....
    It's like saying the Kanye West/Jimmy Kimmel fued is going to lead to rise of a Fourth Reich.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #259
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I question why the knee-jerk reaction to the word Nazi is automatically the holocaust. But there's no sense in prolonging the argument - we are unlikely to agree.
    It may be because it's the OP's clear intention

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What exactly don't you understand about the build up before the concentration camps, and the murder, and the demonetization that took place before anyone that was killed? It has been explained a few times in the thread...I suggest you go back and re read, then maybe you can discuss the subject intelligently....
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #260
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that sort of attitude is poisonous and tends to be applied to anyone more successful than whatever rabble is spewing such sentiments
    That or rich people in America comparing themselves to Jews in WWII Germany is a bit absurd.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •