Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 501

Thread: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi [W:185]

  1. #241
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
    It sure is being spewed by you.. the "Top few" have also created more jobs then any other "group"...
    Uh.. they would have no choice if they wanted to do business. They're leeches more than magnanimous benefactors.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #242
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    In fact, no one should ever use an analogy that references Nazis in any way because regardless of the validity of the comparison, it is invariably dismissed out of hand using emotional blackmail.
    Ehhh...you say it's emotional blackmail I say it's because 99.9999% of the time any comparison to the treatment of Jews under the reign of the Nazi's is hyperbolic to the point of being ludicrous. T
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #243
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Ehhh...you say it's emotional blackmail I say it's because 99.9999% of the time any comparison to the treatment of Jews under the reign of the Nazi's is hyperbolic to the point of being ludicrous. T
    Actually, it's more a knee-jerk reaction that almost always accompanies any use of the word Nazi - it's like Pavlov's dog.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #244
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    To be fair, that's not what the gentleman was saying as outlined in the article in the OP. In my view, he was analogizing the "whisper campaign" against jews in Nazi Germany, building public resentment and jealousy against them, to the type of demonizing that many on the extremes of the left, and occasionally the President, does/do in delegitimizing the wealth honestly created and accumulated by some. It can be epitomized by the catchy "pay your fair share" liberal/Obama campaigns that imply the rich don't pay their fair share into the federal coffers when far more on the other end of the spectrum pay nothing to the wellbeing of the nation.

    In no way did the gentleman speak of or imply there was an equivalency with murdering innocent jews. That take is simply a convenient dismissal of the point the man was trying to make.

    In fact, no one should ever use an analogy that references Nazis in any way because regardless of the validity of the comparison, it is invariably dismissed out of hand using emotional blackmail.
    What makes these analogies precisely so stupid is the people making them always back up to some point in Nazi Germany's rise that would be characteristic of every nation and situation on earth...one so universal that it ceases to set itself apart from what distinguishes Nazi Germany as historically unique. If you want to go with a "whisper" propaganda campaign against rich people as somehow analogous to the rise of the persecution of the Jews, then how would you characterize the campaign against liberals by Fox News and am radio? By the OP's standard that would be full-on 1938 Germany. But of course I'm not going to make that point because it's stupid. What's important about Nazi Germany is the choices it made as it moved from the petty squabbling and political demagoguery you see every day here in the U.S. and into something genuinely horrific.

    Otherwise, you're logically involving yourself in a race to the bottom whereby art schools who deny entry to students are knowingly trying to engender the next megalomaniacal psychopath.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 01-28-14 at 04:36 PM.

  5. #245
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Actually, it's more a knee-jerk reaction that almost always accompanies any use of the word Nazi - it's like Pavlov's dog.
    And it should have a knee-jerk reaction. The holocaust is one of the worst events in all of human history.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  6. #246
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    What makes these analogies precisely so stupid is the people making them always back up to some point in Nazi Germany's rise that would be characteristic of every nation and situation on earth...one so universal that it ceases to set itself apart from what distinguishes Nazi Germany as historically unique. If you want to go with a "whisper" propaganda campaign against rich people as somehow analogous to rise of the persecution of the Jews, then how would you characterize the campaign against liberals by Fox News and am radio? By the OP's standard that would be full-on 1938 Germany. But of course I'm not going to make that point because it's stupid. What's important about Nazi Germany is the choices it made as it moved from the petty squabbling and political demagoguery you see every day here in the U.S. and into something genuinely horrific.

    Otherwise, you're logically involving yourself in a race to the bottom whereby art schools who deny entry to students are knowingly trying to engender the next megalomaniacal psychopath.
    My only disagreement with what you've presented here is that there really is no comparison between the "campaigns" of political parties and government leaders to the "ratings campaigns" of private television. Now, if you were talking about government funded television, I'd agree with you.

    My point simply was that any references to Nazis is wasted energy because by doing so you dismiss your argument before it even gets a chance to set down roots. Say the word Nazis and the tskers come out in droves to shout you down, regardless of any validity your argument may possess.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #247
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    And it should have a knee-jerk reaction. The holocaust is one of the worst events in all of human history. People criticizing and asking the rich to pay higher taxes isn't even close
    Perhaps you'd be kind enough to show me where in the gentleman's argument he compared people paying higher taxes to the holocaust. In fact, I don't believe he mentioned either taxes or the holocaust.

    This is, unwittingly on your part, proof of my argument.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Last Seen
    08-02-17 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,375

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Uh.. they would have no choice if they wanted to do business. They're leeches more than magnanimous benefactors.

    wow.. so Obama stealing their money is how wealth is created and jobs created... who knew?

  9. #249
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Last Seen
    08-02-17 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,375

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    And it should have a knee-jerk reaction. The holocaust is one of the worst events in all of human history.
    and Obama is using the same Nazi tactic.. where is your outrage?...

  10. #250
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Silicon Valley billionaire compares treatment of America's rich to Nazi persecuti

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
    and Obama is using the same Nazi tactic.. where is your outrage?...
    Where....maybe you could post his quotes where he's using "Nazi tactics".
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •