Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 244

Thread: Egyptian embassy staff "seized" in Libya

  1. #61
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Egyptian embassy staff "seized" in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    That's a pittance of the countries in the world and did not make it legitimate and the only reason why its moot now is of course because in violation of the resolution to protect civilians, the Gaddafi government was overthrown.
    So? This isn't an election or popularity contest Mr. Sovereignty. Each country gets to make its own determination in this regard, and thankfully most of the countries of quality and the bulk of the regionally relevant countries made the right choice. The UNSC resolution is legally irrelevant because it wasn't necessary for military action to take place.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Egyptian embassy staff "seized" in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Of course it did. The legitimate government of Libya (the TNC) and their representative at the UN both called for and eventually invited foreign assistance.
    Your talking about an end run around the resolution because of a plan for regime change that dates back many years.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #63
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Egyptian embassy staff "seized" in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Your talking about an end run around the resolution because of a plan for regime change that dates back many years.
    There was no need for the resolution in the first place. All of the countries involved had the right to intervene on behalf of the new government formed in Benghazi. The UNSC resolution provided the political cover and pretext for the NATO resolution that followed.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Egyptian embassy staff "seized" in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    There was no need for the resolution in the first place. All of the countries involved had the right to intervene on behalf of the new government formed in Benghazi. The UNSC resolution provided the political cover and pretext for the NATO resolution that followed.
    You speak of war as though you speak of business. Yet it's people's lives at stake!


    On March 19, ironically on the eighth anniversary of "Operation Iraqi Freedom," a White House Office of the Press Secretary quoted Obama saying:

    "Today I authorized the Armed Forces of the United States to (attack) Libya in support of an international effort to protect Libyan civilians," he, in fact, doesn't give a damn about. "That action has now begun," he added, claiming military action was a last resort.



    In fact, it was long-planned. All military interventions require months of preparation, including target selections, strategy, enlisting political and public support, troop deployments, and post-conflict plans.

    Weeks, maybe months in advance, Special Forces, CIA agents, and UK SAS operatives were in Libya, enlisting, inciting, funding, and arming so-called anti-Gaddafi opposition forces, ahead of Western aggression for imperial control. More on it below.

    A March 19 Department of Defense (DOD) Armed Forces Press Service release announced America's led "Operation Odyssey Dawn," [Wiki] saying:

    "Coalition (of the willing) forces launched "Operation Odyssey Dawn" today to enforce UN Security Council Resolution 1973 to protect the Libyan people from the country's ruler....Today we are part of a broad coalition. We are answering the calls of a threatened people."

    http://baltimorechronicle.com/2011/032111Lendman.html
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #65
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: Egyptian embassy staff "seized" in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Such things weren't happening when Gaddafi was there.
    BINGO

    That, and the country was not devastated and destroyed before Cowboy Obama came to town.

    What we did in Libya is a crime against humanity.
    “No people can be both ignorant and free.”
    - Thomas Jefferson

  6. #66
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Egyptian embassy staff "seized" in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    You speak of war as though you speak of business. Yet it's people's lives at stake!


    On March 19, ironically on the eighth anniversary of "Operation Iraqi Freedom," a White House Office of the Press Secretary quoted Obama saying:

    "Today I authorized the Armed Forces of the United States to (attack) Libya in support of an international effort to protect Libyan civilians," he, in fact, doesn't give a damn about. "That action has now begun," he added, claiming military action was a last resort.



    In fact, it was long-planned. All military interventions require months of preparation, including target selections, strategy, enlisting political and public support, troop deployments, and post-conflict plans.

    Weeks, maybe months in advance, Special Forces, CIA agents, and UK SAS operatives were in Libya, enlisting, inciting, funding, and arming so-called anti-Gaddafi opposition forces, ahead of Western aggression for imperial control. More on it below.

    A March 19 Department of Defense (DOD) Armed Forces Press Service release announced America's led "Operation Odyssey Dawn," [Wiki] saying:

    "Coalition (of the willing) forces launched "Operation Odyssey Dawn" today to enforce UN Security Council Resolution 1973 to protect the Libyan people from the country's ruler....Today we are part of a broad coalition. We are answering the calls of a threatened people."

    Print view: Imperial War on Libya
    Of course we created contingencies and plans for possible scenarios and eventualities. It would be irresponsible not to. The Libyan resistance movement however came about independent of foreign intervention, that it was supported by the West (among others) is laudable. I'm not surprised however that your sympathies seem to be more with the deposed dictator than the people who deposed him.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Egyptian embassy staff "seized" in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    BINGO

    That, and the country was not devastated and destroyed before Cowboy Obama came to town.

    What we did in Libya is a crime against humanity.
    It was devastated and destroyed by the monstrous campaign to suppress the democratic resistance movement, not by NATO bombardment. What happened to international brotherhood and solidarity? Some socialist you are.

  8. #68
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: Egyptian embassy staff "seized" in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Of course we created contingencies and plans for possible scenarios and eventualities. It would be irresponsible not to. The Libyan resistance movement however came about independent of foreign intervention, that it was supported by the West (among others) is laudable. I'm not surprised however that your sympathies seem to be more with the deposed dictator than the people who deposed him.
    The so-called rebels were Al Queda ..many of whom had admittedly killed US Forces in Iraq. They made Benghazi home .. and that is who Gaddafi was fighting.

    Obama and Al Queda destroyed Libya .. a once prosperous nation .. where Libyan citizens got more from their government then you get from yours.
    “No people can be both ignorant and free.”
    - Thomas Jefferson

  9. #69
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: Egyptian embassy staff "seized" in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    It was devastated and destroyed by the monstrous campaign to suppress the democratic resistance movement, not by NATO bombardment. What happened to international brotherhood and solidarity? Some socialist you are.
    Some 'thinker' you are. Gaddafi was a socialist ..but you don't know that.

    THIS is the work of a socialist ..



    I'm not real sure that you want to continue down this road brother .. you don't appear to have enough information to do so.
    “No people can be both ignorant and free.”
    - Thomas Jefferson

  10. #70
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Egyptian embassy staff "seized" in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    The so-called rebels were Al Queda ..many of whom had admittedly killed US Forces in Iraq. They made Benghazi home .. and that is who Gaddafi was fighting.

    Obama and Al Queda destroyed Libya .. a once prosperous nation .. where Libyan citizens got more from their government then you get from yours.
    The rebels were demonstratively not al-Qaeda. Only certain factions and militias were Islamists, even today they are not a majority and though they have caused deep grief for the new Libyan republic they have been unable to overthrow the state or remove its democratic foundation. The workers and people of Libya deserved better than a plutocratic dictatorship and have taken a step forward despite the problems they now face. Again you don't sound like much of a socialist you seem to be missing the international brotherhood part. Socialism means more than criticizing the alleged machinery of US Imperialism.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •