Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 155

Thread: Shooting at Maryland Shopping Mall.

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Shooting at Maryland Shopping Mall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I like how Higgins 'liked' your post when he's the one who didn't wait.
    What so you mean. He posted the story and said he hopes the injury count doesn't go up, and said nothing else. What did he not wait to do?

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Shooting at Maryland Shopping Mall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    What so you mean. He posted the story and said he hopes the injury count doesn't go up, and said nothing else. What did he not wait to do?
    It was a misunderstanding. We've moved on.

  3. #43
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Shooting at Maryland Shopping Mall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    What so you mean. He posted the story and said he hopes the injury count doesn't go up, and said nothing else. What did he not wait to do?
    Be British.

    **** that limey ****~!!!

  4. #44
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Shooting at Maryland Shopping Mall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Unfortunately that's really true at an individual level as well, not just media. I admit it, when I saw "3" I kind of felt dismissive of it. Truth is we have little murders day in and day out, I didn't realize how many really til I ended up in Phoenix for a year and now SoCal. Boise was pretty tame, but it's also tiny and fairly uniform. The only real reason it made national news is because it was 3 at a mall. Had it been 3 young, innercity kids on the street or drive by type, it'd only be local news.

    Well, inner-city youth violence is also much more common and unremarkable. That's what happens when criminality becomes a way of life and socially normalized

  5. #45
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,470

    Re: Shooting at Maryland Shopping Mall.

    Unfortunately we can never be 100% safe in the world. We can have measures to reduce the number of fatalities in such event but we can never be completely safe.

    Do not want to go down the slippery pathway of No guns or Everyone have gun because even those two measures do not provide 100% safety.


    It is just like after every teen auto vehicle death due to DUI. There is the public outcry for teens to think twice before getting behind the wheel drunk but in reality we all know it will happen again.

    The best one can do is to have response plans to possible disasters as we will see this scenario again.

    The question in this incident why with so much ammo on him did he decide to kill himself after only killing two people.

  6. #46
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Shooting at Maryland Shopping Mall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Well, inner-city youth violence is also much more common and unremarkable. That's what happens when criminality becomes a way of life and socially normalized
    Like mall/school/public places are becoming. Yes, that's what I'm saying.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  7. #47
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Shooting at Maryland Shopping Mall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Like mall/school/public places are becoming. Yes, that's what I'm saying.
    Yes, if one completely lacked the ability to recognize the disparity in "rate of occurrence" between the two one might reach that conclusion. For example, there are inner city neighborhoods where the chances you will become a victim of violent crime is 1 in 7. Do you think similar numbers exist for malls and schools? By all accounts, such mass shootings are still relatively rare and account for an extremely small number of gun crimes and murders in this country.

    Hence, they are more newsworthy and generate more interest
    Last edited by Dr. Chuckles; 01-25-14 at 06:28 PM.

  8. #48
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Shooting at Maryland Shopping Mall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Yes, if one completely lacked the ability to recognize the disparity in "rate of occurrence" between the two one might reach that conclusion. For example, there are inner city neighborhoods where the chances you will become a victim of violent crime is 1 in 7. Do you think similar numbers exist for malls and schools? By all accounts, such mass shootings are still relatively rare and account for an extremely small number of gun crimes and murders in this country. Hence, they are more newsworthy and generate more interest
    Unless one is oblivious to the fact that it is becoming nearly the same with rate of occurrence. I sure don't think it's my imagination that this sort of shoot 'em up at schools/public places where the death toll is under 5 is becoming pretty regular.
    BTW it also seems this was targeted to two specific people and not a random shoot 'em up as originally suspected. So again, it's kind of back into the "normal" column except for the fact that the place where the two people were happened to be the mall store.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  9. #49
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Shooting at Maryland Shopping Mall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Unless one is oblivious to the fact that it is becoming nearly the same with rate of occurrence.
    LOL~!!!

    I sure don't think it's my imagination that this sort of shoot 'em up at schools/public places where the death toll is under 5 is becoming pretty regular.
    do you understand how common such violence would need to be for the likelihood to be even half of the above figure? No, of course you don't, because it's obvious you don't even think before you reply

  10. #50
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Shooting at Maryland Shopping Mall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    LOL~!!!



    do you understand how common such violence would need to be for the likelihood to be even half of the above figure? No, of course you don't, because it's obvious you don't even think before you reply
    All I've said is that the frequency is increasing to the point that we are becoming enured to it in response to a person noting that because of only 3 dead it won't stay in the news long. Like it or not, that's accurate. It's not a good thing, it's just an factual thing.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •