Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 257

Thread: Controversial bill to expand religious protections advances

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    JoCo Kansas
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    373

    Re: Controversial bill to expand religious protections advances

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Why would I want to sustain a person's lifestyle (by sustaining their life via job) which I morally object?

    Further, why should I be forced to hire anyone or allow in my place of business, anyone whom I don't want? Do I not have a right to give my money or trade my goods with those I choose to?

    The only argument of discrimination I'll hear is one where it involves the government as that is the only one which should not b tolerated, anything else is an infringement on the person.
    When you say this out loud how does it not sound discriminatory to you? And if it does, how can you support it?

  2. #162
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Controversial bill to expand religious protections advances

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Because it's none of your damn business.

    If you're unable to separate your religious beliefs from your business practices, you need professional help.
    The state says it is their business.

    SCOTUS disagrees.

  3. #163
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Controversial bill to expand religious protections advances

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    You think then that the Oklahoma legislature installing a giant Ten Commandments memorial on the grounds of the state house and then refusing to accept similar sized monuments from other groups is protected by the First Amendment?
    what ever happened with this? there was a story on it, as a christian myself i found it super funny that extremists used loopholes to accomplish this and then cried when the same loophole was used by others.

    far to many people use religion for the wrong things, my religion is for ME. thats it. Its not a tool to judge others or push others down. Its not a tool to make national laws, its not a tool to "illegally" discriminate and what makes all those things even worse is that to many extremists hypocrites pick and choose when they want to be dishonest and fall back on religion for support of their ignorant behaviors.

    Religion is a personal thing and thats that.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #164
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Controversial bill to expand religious protections advances

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Because it's none of your damn business.



    Except where it conflicts with non-discrimination laws, sure. However, it shouldn't make a difference to you in the least. So long as the employee does their job and makes you money, what do you care what they do on their off-hours? If you're unable to separate your religious beliefs from your business practices, you need professional help.
    correct religious freedom which i support is not a blanket for violating others rights, people get this easily confused.

    i dont know if its stupidity or dishonesty but they try this failed excuse a lot.

    I have freedom to move freely in the public world but i cant just run people over in my car and say, hey they were in my way and i wanted to go that way, im free to move as i please lol

    this is the same broken logic some of these extremist try to use and then the law smacks them down for it.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Controversial bill to expand religious protections advances

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Why would I want to sustain a person's lifestyle (by sustaining their life via job) which I morally object?

    Further, why should I be forced to hire anyone or allow in my place of business, anyone whom I don't want? Do I not have a right to give my money or trade my goods with those I choose to?

    The only argument of discrimination I'll hear is one where it involves the government as that is the only one which should not b tolerated, anything else is an infringement on the person.
    Because it is in the interest of society to have everyone able to be employed, not just people who are members of the most popular religions or race. Because it is in the interest of society and all individuals to have employers stay out of their workers and customers private lives. Because it is in the interest of society and all individuals to be able to enter any place of business without worrying that you will be denied service for some arbitrary and irrelevant reason such as religious belief or skin color.

  6. #166
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Controversial bill to expand religious protections advances

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Because it is in the interest of society to have everyone able to be employed, not just people who are members of the most popular religions or race.
    Privately employed, sure.

  7. #167
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Controversial bill to expand religious protections advances

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Because it's none of your damn business.
    I'm sorry, but my business IS MY GOD DAMN BUSINESS!


    Except where it conflicts with non-discrimination laws, sure. However, it shouldn't make a difference to you in the least. So long as the employee does their job and makes you money, what do you care what they do on their off-hours? If you're unable to separate your religious beliefs from your business practices, you need professional help.
    What do I care? My employees represent my company, they represent my brand, in effect, they represent me. That's why I care.

    Why should one have to separate them? Why you all up on infringing on another person's rights? Oh, you're a hypocrite, nevermind...

  8. #168
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Controversial bill to expand religious protections advances

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Because it is in the interest of society to have everyone able to be employed, not just people who are members of the most popular religions or race. Because it is in the interest of society and all individuals to have employers stay out of their workers and customers private lives. Because it is in the interest of society and all individuals to be able to enter any place of business without worrying that you will be denied service for some arbitrary and irrelevant reason such as religious belief or skin color.
    Who says they can't be employed? Just not by those who'd not want them in their employ. I don't recall there being an exclusive religion or race that holds all the jobs. As I said, an employee is an extension of the employer thereby granting the employer the right to determine who it is that represents him. To demand that you must interact with everyone, regardless of your choice, is an infringement on your freedom.
    Last edited by ChezC3; 01-27-14 at 05:23 PM.

  9. #169
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Controversial bill to expand religious protections advances

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E Buster View Post
    When you say this out loud how does it not sound discriminatory to you? And if it does, how can you support it?
    You miss the underlying message here, the below sentence of the one you highlighted summed it up; in a society where one is free, one must be allowed to discriminate, the only discrimination which cannot and should not be "tolerated" is that which is done by the government.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    JoCo Kansas
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    373

    Re: Controversial bill to expand religious protections advances

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    You miss the underlying message here, the below sentence of the one you highlighted summed it up; in a society where one is free, one must be allowed to discriminate, the only discrimination which cannot and should not be "tolerated" is that which is done by the government.
    Ok. I have a better understanding of where you're coming from. To further clarify for me, you are advocating or would be in favor of a return to a Jim Crow type of era and unequal treatment of women and minorities?

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •