Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 361

Thread: Gov. Cuomo: Pro-life people not welcome in New York

  1. #181
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    66,263

    Re: Gov. Cuomo: Pro-life people not welcome in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    according to calamity's "sources" Bush took a shot at athiests once, so that makes it ok for cuomo to go on his loony leftist rant. So I wouldn't bother debating him. How can one argue with that logic?
    You can't debate because you can't accept that the archaic anti-gay, anti-abortion pro-god and gun days are slowly coming to an end. Most of the country prefers to accept votes and judges' decisions over those who obstruct progress and want to send us back to 50's. Actually some of your ilk have made it clear that they prefer returning to the days when women were not allowed to vote.

  2. #182
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Gov. Cuomo: Pro-life people not welcome in New York

    again, I have to question how a "centrist" could make such comments. The hyperbole you are exhibiting could only come from a dyed in the wool lefty of the highest order. So if you aren't honest with yourself how can I possibly believe you?

    PS thanks for not accusing republicans of wanting to go back to slave days and stopping at the 1950's, thought I'm sure if I give you more time....

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Gov. Cuomo: Pro-life people not welcome in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    New York does not permit the abrogation of fundamental liberties in order to satisfy some people's religious leanings. Feel free to never obtain an abortion yourself and not to work as an abortion provider. But that is all that liberty entitles you to. You don't get to restrict other people's actions to conform to your religion.
    A self-ascribed socialist who sounds just like a libertarian.

    Curiouser and curiouser.

  4. #184
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Gov. Cuomo: Pro-life people not welcome in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    A self-ascribed socialist who sounds just like a libertarian.

    Curiouser and curiouser.
    When it comes to personal rights and civil liberties, there's not much difference between the two philosophies. But when it comes to issues of economics, class, wealth disparity, and who has the power, we disagree quite stringently.

    This sort of thing is why I don't understand why libertarians vote for Republicans and not Democrats. Liberals and libertarians take the same positions about civil rights. The only real point on contention is guns, but a Democratic party that had to respect the wishes of its pro-gun libertarian constituents would take away what little effort it currently spends on gun control measures. The Republican party is the socially repressive one, stripping people of their rights in the name of one religion. That would put libertarians squarely on the liberal side of social issues. And when it comes to economic measures, neither Rs nor Ds implement a small government agenda. Democrats tax and spend and Republicans spend without taxing. Neither side don't spend, they just spend on different things. Libertarians will never get the small government they want from Rs or Ds, but they will get a freer society, ungoverned by religious mores, from Ds.

    I don't understand why libertarians who actually believe in their principles don't vote D. I understand why the ones who are ultimately just selfish pricks and support whatever government methods will just get them personally more wealth or power. But what person who cares enough about politics to come onto this site would place themselves in the second category? Many such posters on this site like to fancy themselves the first kind when they're really the second. So I guess I answered my own question. Libertarians who believe in something greater than themselves go D, libertarians who believe in nothing but themselves go R. Sadly, most libertarians, in my experience, are that latter group.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Gov. Cuomo: Pro-life people not welcome in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    When it comes to personal rights and civil liberties, there's not much difference between the two philosophies. But when it comes to issues of economics, class, wealth disparity, and who has the power, we disagree quite stringently.

    This sort of thing is why I don't understand why libertarians vote for Republicans and not Democrats. Liberals and libertarians take the same positions about civil rights. The only real point on contention is guns, but a Democratic party that had to respect the wishes of its pro-gun libertarian constituents would take away what little effort it currently spends on gun control measures. The Republican party is the socially repressive one, stripping people of their rights in the name of one religion. That would put libertarians squarely on the liberal side of social issues. And when it comes to economic measures, neither Rs nor Ds implement a small government agenda. Democrats tax and spend and Republicans spend without taxing. Neither side don't spend, they just spend on different things. Libertarians will never get the small government they want from Rs or Ds, but they will get a freer society, ungoverned by religious mores, from Ds.

    I don't understand why libertarians who actually believe in their principles don't vote D. I understand why the ones who are ultimately just selfish pricks and support whatever government methods will just get them personally more wealth or power. But what person who cares enough about politics to come onto this site would place themselves in the second category? Many such posters on this site like to fancy themselves the first kind when they're really the second. So I guess I answered my own question. Libertarians who believe in something greater than themselves go D, libertarians who believe in nothing but themselves go R. Sadly, most libertarians, in my experience, are that latter group.

    I don't know. Myself, I'm probably the farthest thing from a libertarian there is. I'm right of center on most social issues, left of center on foreign policy and gun rights, and left of center on most not all economic issues. Neither Dems nor Repubs appeal that much to me, both have pros and cons.

  6. #186
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,797

    Re: Gov. Cuomo: Pro-life people not welcome in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    If you managed to put your ideology aside long enough to think, you'd actually hear what Coumo said instead of what you think he said.
    Translation: 'What Cuomo said was embarrassing and revealed too much behind the mask for the majority of American's to accept without recoiling from, so we progressives are going to tell everyone else that they didn't hear what they heard from him, but rather what we spin it into..'

    Basically he said what most Americans believe.
    What? You can barely speak for yourself without managing to come out looking like a dishonest player....Please don't presume to speak for the whole of "Most Americans"....

    You all who want to deny others their freedom at the end of your assault rifles aren't welcome here.
    Don't know why the rifle, or gun scares you so much. But, I'll tell you what scares me, and that people like you that would curtail the rights of others, who would tell others what to believe, who use the most dishonest of arguments to twist, spin, and lie in order to get their way...But, I am not scared of them in the, 'I'd run, if face to face' sense, but rather scared of what they are doing to this country, and world...I would have thought that after the failures of the Soviet Union, and the socialized eastern block of Europe, and after the ugly face of the uber leftism of Socialist Fascism of the 1930's, that we'd become more enlightened and not travel that road again....Unfortunately...that sadly doesn't seem like we've learned much...We are marching toward it again, Thanks but no thanks.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #187
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    66,263

    Re: Gov. Cuomo: Pro-life people not welcome in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Translation: 'What Cuomo said was embarrassing and revealed too much behind the mask for the majority of American's to accept without recoiling from, so we progressives are going to tell everyone else that they didn't hear what they heard from him, but rather what we spin it into..'



    What? You can barely speak for yourself without managing to come out looking like a dishonest player....Please don't presume to speak for the whole of "Most Americans"....



    Don't know why the rifle, or gun scares you so much. But, I'll tell you what scares me, and that people like you that would curtail the rights of others, who would tell others what to believe, who use the most dishonest of arguments to twist, spin, and lie in order to get their way...But, I am not scared of them in the, 'I'd run, if face to face' sense, but rather scared of what they are doing to this country, and world...I would have thought that after the failures of the Soviet Union, and the socialized eastern block of Europe, and after the ugly face of the uber leftism of Socialist Fascism of the 1930's, that we'd become more enlightened and not travel that road again....Unfortunately...that sadly doesn't seem like we've learned much...We are marching toward it again, Thanks but no thanks.
    I've posted links showing that less than 15% of the population are opposed to gay and abortion rights while being pro assault weapons. So. Yes---they are extreme right wingers, just as Coumo said.

  8. #188
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    66,263

    Re: Gov. Cuomo: Pro-life people not welcome in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    again, I have to question how a "centrist" could make such comments. The hyperbole you are exhibiting could only come from a dyed in the wool lefty of the highest order. So if you aren't honest with yourself how can I possibly believe you?

    PS thanks for not accusing republicans of wanting to go back to slave days and stopping at the 1950's, thought I'm sure if I give you more time....
    I always wonder how conservatives can be so against personal freedom that they want to legislate the womb and bedroom.

  9. #189
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,797

    Re: Gov. Cuomo: Pro-life people not welcome in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I've posted links showing that less than 15% of the population are opposed to gay and abortion rights while being pro assault weapons. So. Yes---they are extreme right wingers, just as Coumo said.
    The label of "Extremeists" is an over used meme by the far left in order to do little more than demonize those that don't believe as they do.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #190
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,797

    Re: Gov. Cuomo: Pro-life people not welcome in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I always wonder how conservatives can be so against personal freedom that they want to legislate the womb and bedroom.
    Again, revealing exactly what liberals have done eh calamity? The latest in poor taste commercials by the (un funny) Sara Silverman here:



    speaks of a person not being a person til age 40....How old are you again?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •