Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

  1. #1
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,150

    U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    The U.S. Department of Education is funding research in Canadian schools on which system for teaching math works better, the discovery based Ontario curriculum or the JUMP program which is more of a hybrid but is also more structured. The Ontario Ministry of Education supports the idea probably because they don't have to pay for it. The U.S. is using Canada as a testing ground now I guess, thanks for the money.

    You can find the article here.

    I like this idea and I assume the JUMP program will win out just from personal experience with the Ontario curriculum. What I want to know is what do you think about your government using funds to fund educational research here in my country and province instead of your own.

  2. #2
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    The where of the finding doesn't bother me. It's how well the research is conducted. There are so many uncontrollable variables when it comes to something like education.

  3. #3
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    I like the idea of getting better ways to teach math. We'll probably get good information out of it.

    But then I ask myself - why bother? The US school system is inherently broken due to teachers unions, standardized testing tied with federal and state funding (money), and a curicculum which teaches kids how to take tests (again, for the money) instead of teaching subjects such that students understand the subject and use the information. Until educational reform goes through and parents/students have the opportunity to use vouchers to enroll their kids in the best schools instead of being forced to send their kid to their local school (because their local taxes are tied to the local school system), I doubt the information we gain will be put to good use.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #4
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    The U.S. Department of Education is funding research in Canadian schools on which system for teaching math works better, the discovery based Ontario curriculum or the JUMP program which is more of a hybrid but is also more structured. The Ontario Ministry of Education supports the idea probably because they don't have to pay for it. The U.S. is using Canada as a testing ground now I guess, thanks for the money.

    You can find the article here.

    I like this idea and I assume the JUMP program will win out just from personal experience with the Ontario curriculum. What I want to know is what do you think about your government using funds to fund educational research here in my country and province instead of your own.
    I think it's legit. Education is a great use of funds

  5. #5
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I like the idea of getting better ways to teach math. We'll probably get good information out of it.

    But then I ask myself - why bother? The US school system is inherently broken due to teachers unions, standardized testing tied with federal and state funding (money), and a curicculum which teaches kids how to take tests (again, for the money) instead of teaching subjects such that students understand the subject and use the information. Until educational reform goes through and parents/students have the opportunity to use vouchers to enroll their kids in the best schools instead of being forced to send their kid to their local school (because their local taxes are tied to the local school system), I doubt the information we gain will be put to good use.
    Question. How many years of experience teaching K-12 do you have?
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,217

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    The U.S. Department of Education is funding research in Canadian schools on which system for teaching math works better, the discovery based Ontario curriculum or the JUMP program which is more of a hybrid but is also more structured. The Ontario Ministry of Education supports the idea probably because they don't have to pay for it. The U.S. is using Canada as a testing ground now I guess, thanks for the money.

    You can find the article here.

    I like this idea and I assume the JUMP program will win out just from personal experience with the Ontario curriculum. What I want to know is what do you think about your government using funds to fund educational research here in my country and province instead of your own.
    That seems very sensible to me.

  7. #7
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,150

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I like the idea of getting better ways to teach math. We'll probably get good information out of it.

    But then I ask myself - why bother? The US school system is inherently broken due to teachers unions, standardized testing tied with federal and state funding (money), and a curicculum which teaches kids how to take tests (again, for the money) instead of teaching subjects such that students understand the subject and use the information. Until educational reform goes through and parents/students have the opportunity to use vouchers to enroll their kids in the best schools instead of being forced to send their kid to their local school (because their local taxes are tied to the local school system), I doubt the information we gain will be put to good use.
    Maybe funding more research into how we do it would benefit you.

  8. #8
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    More of our money, down the toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #9
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Question. How many years of experience teaching K-12 do you have?
    That's an interesting implicit claim.

    How many tours did you serve in Iraq or Afghanistan? If the answer is "none", does this mean that your opinion on whether or not we should have launched or should now continue those efforts is invalid?

  10. #10
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    More of our money, down the toilet.
    Actually if anyone can be trusted to get honest results back to us for the money, I'd trust the Canadians before I would trust our unions. It's worth noting, for example, that this money is coming from our Department of Education, a centralizing and foolish bureaucracy which has spent tons of money without verifiable impact - and the reason Ontario schools look to it for a centralized system to dole out cash is that Canada does not have such a department.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •